Options

Americans in Lebanon...

abhi101cruabhi101cru Posts: 223
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
Alright, so a good friend of mine is stuck in Lebanon right now, and he forwarded me an email that was sent to him by the US State Department. Thought you guys might find it interesting...

Message to Americans in Lebanon

The Department of State continues to work with the Department of Defense on a plan to help American citizens depart Lebanon. As of the morning of July
15, we are looking at how we might transport Americans to Cyprus. Once in
Cyprus, Americans can then board commercial aircraft for onward travel.
Commercial airlines provide the safest and most efficient repatriation
options to final destinations.

The Department of State reminds American citizens that the U.S. government does not provide no-cost transportation but does have the authority to provide repatriation loans to those in financial need. For the portion of your trip directly handled by the U.S. Government we will ask you to sign a promissory note and we will bill you at a later date. In a subsequent
message, when we have specific details about the transporation arrangments,
we will inform you about the costs you will incur. We will also work with
commercial aircraft to ensure that they have adequate flights to help you
depart Cyprus and connect to your final destination.

The Department of State continues to work around the clock and will continue
to send updates to you as appropriate.
Sorry is the fool who trades his soul for a corvette, thinks he'll get the girl he'll only get the mechanic...

Atlantic City: 09/30/05, 10/01/05
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    Wishing your friend safe travels out of the region. And, for that matter, safety to all of the innocents on both sides of this issue.

That is interesting that the US bills you for travel out of a war torn region. They even bill you for any (army or military assisted, I would assume) protection to help you get to safety? That rubs me the wrong way, but I suppose I've never had occasion to consider that issue before now.

I had to take a step back last night as I was watching the news. Seems odd to me that American teleivsion is broadcasting so much information about where exactly the American college students are located in Lebanon. I would want to err on the side of their safety, but perhaps not disclose their location as they could be a hostage risk I would assume.
  • Options
    buttersbutters Posts: 63
    I've heard that in practice they often do not charge people.
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    OneLove wrote:

I had to take a step back last night as I was watching the news. Seems odd to me that American teleivsion is broadcasting so much information about where exactly the American college students are located in Lebanon. I would want to err on the side of their safety, but perhaps not disclose their location as they could be a hostage risk I would assume.

Yeah, what a bunch of fuckin' idiots! Why not just come out and say........

" Hey, terrorists/American-haters.....Come and get your Americans! Grab them, torture them and kill them! Look, they're right there! Go get them!

But let us know when you do, so we can get some really cool footage of you abducting them, for higher ratings, okay? Thanks. "
  • Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    NMyTree wrote:
    Yeah, what a bunch of fuckin' idiots! Why not just come out and say........

" Hey, terrorists/American-haters.....Come and get your Americans! Grab them, torture them and kill them! Look, they're right there! Go get them!

But let us know when you do, so we can get some really cool footage of you abducting them, for higher ratings, okay? Thanks. "

Lets hope nothing of the sort happens. I just worry because the Israeli/US relationship seems so heavily intertwined in this issue, that perhaps someone could exploit the americans over there. Kind of force the US to take a stand.

That is not to say that any one life is of more value than any other, on either side. Just an observation on my part.

abhi101cru, your friend will be in my thoughts.
  • Options
    binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    abhi101cru wrote:

The Department of State reminds American citizens that the U.S. government does not provide no-cost transportation but does have the authority to provide repatriation loans to those in financial need. For the portion of your trip directly handled by the U.S. Government we will ask you to sign a promissory note and we will bill you at a later date. .

Un friggin real!!! So they have to pay because they just happened to get caught in the middle of a fucking war zone??? I think I've heard it all now! SAD!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    EvilToasterElfEvilToasterElf Posts: 1,119
    My question is...

Of that list of dangerous nations on the state department list, is Lebanon included?

If so, then I think they're completely justified in charging them. And the Americans over there should have made sure to have enough cash in the bank for an emergency flight home.
  • Options
    MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    Un friggin real!!! So they have to pay because they just happened to get caught in the middle of a fucking war zone??? I think I've heard it all now! SAD!!!!!!!!!

why? are they there on the government's dime to begin with? if so, then of course they should get a paid way out. but if they are there of their own free will, why would the US government pay for them to get out? no one is saying they HAVE to get out, only that they can if they want.

since Americans are generally hated in Lebanon, what are they doing there to begin with?
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    OneLove wrote:
    Wishing your friend safe travels out of the region. And, for that matter, safety to all of the innocents on both sides of this issue.

That is interesting that the US bills you for travel out of a war torn region. They even bill you for any (army or military assisted, I would assume) protection to help you get to safety? That rubs me the wrong way, but I suppose I've never had occasion to consider that issue before now.

Asking the media to protect their fellow citizens? Surely you jest!

To the OP, hope your friend comes home safe and soon.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    TowermanTowerman Posts: 228
    MLC2006 wrote:
    why? are they there on the government's dime to begin with? if so, then of course they should get a paid way out. but if they are there of their own free will, why would the US government pay for them to get out? no one is saying they HAVE to get out, only that they can if they want.

since Americans are generally hated in Lebanon, what are they doing there to begin with?

I kind of agree with you, I mean if you're over there by your own then I really don't see any "obligation" from the government to get you out but considering the fact that the US is the richest country in the world and is always spending money in foreign countries, don't even want to mention the cost of the Iraq occupation war, etc.... I would expect them to be more active into helping out it's own citizens, by doing so I asure you that it won't cost not even 5% of what that Alaska "bridge to nowhere" it's gonna be. Specially after all the criticism after Katrina.
    speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    abhi101cruabhi101cru Posts: 223
    My friend is of lebanese descent which is why he's there right now visiting his grandparents and such. So yeah, he was there for personal reasons, not for the government.

I still happen to believe that american citizens in Lebanon should not be billed. I think that's why we pay taxes...our government is supposed to take care of us in times of crisis. But that's just me.
    Sorry is the fool who trades his soul for a corvette, thinks he'll get the girl he'll only get the mechanic...

Atlantic City: 09/30/05, 10/01/05
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Are they still there? :eek: The Irish were taken out yesterday. I feel sorry for everyone left behind - kinda reminds me of that scene in Hotel Rwanda when all the Westerners get on a bus... leaving everyone there to just deal with it :(
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you