Options

the crowds at bonashmoo

just davejust dave Posts: 260
edited February 2008 in The Porch
How big are they? Lineups? will you even get a chance to see the concerts from whereever you end up?

What are they like, metallica plays is every knucklehead and skid gonna show up?

Is it just a hippiefest?

Just wondering if these massive festivals are worth it, i'm more interested in the other bands that i haven't seen before then a pj greatest hits set.

(nothing against hippies and skids)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, I was also wondering the same thing.

Also, I was wondering if Bonnaroo is as clean as Lollapalooza. Anybody know who has been to both festivals?
    "Music could provide the light you cannot resist" -R.E.M., "I'm Gonna DJ"

"My relationship with the band began as a love affair on the phone with Jeff." -Eddie Vedder, Rolling Stone, 10/28/93
  • Options
    Yeah, I was also wondering the same thing.

Also, I was wondering if Bonnaroo is as clean as Lollapalooza. Anybody know who has been to both festivals?
    A friend of ours went to both and told us that Bonnaroo was just the opposite.
  • Options
    I've not been to Lolla but been to Roo a few times. It is on a huge farm so it is grass and dirt - no paved anything. Dust tends to be an issue when it hasn't rained in a while - like last year.

They usually have around 80-90,000 people and it is crowded but you have no problem moving from one stage to another to see the bands you want to see - they are all in one central area. If you want to get close to a specific band you would be smart to park your ass in front of the stage early, but no matter where you are, you can see the bands. There is plenty of cheap vendor food available (as well as the overpriced stuff).

As for the fans of specific bands, I really don't think you need to worry about that. Tool played last year and everyone worried about the "crowd" they would bring and it never happened. I would assume you would get the same crowd with Metallica.

People go to Bonnarro primarily for the huge diversity of the music and plus it is an ultra laid back atmostphere.

It's great times and is worth every penny. And yes it is a huge hippie fest :P People are good to each other and look out for each other and there is nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    When the headliners are on at Bonnaroo, no other bands are playing, so most will probably be at the main stage for Metallica and Pearl Jam. The field at this stage is sloped (unlike Lolla), so you will still be able to see from far back. And they have large screens on both sides of the stage. I think the max number of tickets for Roo is 80,000, I've read that over 100,000 may have been at Lolla just for Pearl Jam's set.

I've been to Roo 3 times, and went to Lolla for one day. Roo won't be as clean as Lolla, but it is on a farm as opposed to a public park. Roo started out more with jam bands, but have had more diverse artists recently (the Police, Tool, Radiohead).

You will be able to see other shows throughout the weekend, you just might want to show up early for someone you really want to see. Sometimes the Tents with stages fill up fast. The lines for the comedy tent have been ridiculously long.
  • Options
    encompassing tripencompassing trip Columbia SC Posts: 160
    Extraordinary concept! Bonnaroo has a different perspective on everything.All the way down to "Safety" rather than "Security". I hear the usual crowd is turned off by the line-up. It's a 700 acre farm in Tennesee, which is a beautiful state. Should be easy to navigate through the crowds. I'm surprised by their appearance since it's not a seated event.

Metallica will put on a great show. I once thought they were overrated until I saw them live. I can't stress this enough...don't miss Metallica!

Donavan Frankenreiter should be nice also. Hard to believe he's a pro surfer and will probably share the stage with Jack Johnson (and G-love when he's added.)
  • Options
    NeilJam wrote:
    The lines for the comedy tent have been ridiculously long.
    this will definitely be the case this year... they have some incredible comedy acts! im a HUGE fan of david cross and brian posehn... birbiglia's not bad either... id probably be torn between good music and comedy tho...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    Mastodon And Kayne West At The Same Festival Wtf????????????