Options

Arundhati Roy on the Palestinian / Israeli Conflict

AbookamongstthemanyAbookamongstthemany Posts: 8,209
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vnaf8R_SJo

yeah, youtube (videos on the internet)...if ya don't like it don't watch it. :) But I highly recommend it if you have an extra 10 min.

http://www.spf.arts.usyd.edu.au/previousWinners.shtml#PW2004

see 2004 winner
If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
-Oscar Wilde
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vnaf8R_SJo

yeah, youtube (videos on the internet)...if ya don't like it don't watch it. :) But I highly recommend it if you have an extra 10 min.

I can't watch youtube at work :(
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    Hey thanks for that, good find.
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    Hey thanks for that, good find.

Your welcome.:)

Ahnimus, I hope you get a chance to watch it at home or sonmewhere else.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    it's better when there are transcripts because I have no sound here and no video, but I will watch at home, thanks.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    i cant get youtube at work either...other wise it would be PJ videos all day!
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    'I do not agree that the dog in a manger has the final right to the manger even though he may have lain there for a very long time. I do not admit that right. I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place.'
    Churchill to the Palestine Royal Commission (1937)

nice, sounds like some on this board
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    givebloodgiveblood Posts: 15
    El_Kabong wrote:
    'I do not agree that the dog in a manger has the final right to the manger even though he may have lain there for a very long time. I do not admit that right. I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place.'

Hmmm ... I don't think I've read many posts that obviously racist, although I am sure its happened. People are usually more subtle.
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    El_Kabong wrote:

Wow...Churchill sounds like quite the bigot....
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    video, mp3 and transcript at the website

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=06/05/23/1358250&mode=thread&tid=25

Tuesday, May 23rd, 2006
    Arundhati Roy on India, Iraq, U.S. Empire and Dissent

Listen to Segment || Download Show mp3
    Watch 128k stream Watch 256k stream Read Transcript
    Help Printer-friendly version Email to a friend Purchase Video/CD

Today we spend the hour with acclaimed Indian author and activist Arundhati Roy. Her first novel, "The God of Small Things," was awarded the Booker Prize in 1997. It has sold over six millions copies and has been translated into over 20 languages worldwide.
    Since then, Arundhati Roy has devoted herself to political writing and activism. In India, she’s involved in the movement opposing hydroelectric dam projects that have displaced thousands of people. In 2002, she was convicted of contempt of court in New Delhi for accusing the court of attempting to silence protests against the Narmada Dam project. She received a symbolic one-day prison sentence. She has also been a vocal opponent of the Indian government’s nuclear weapons program as she is of all nuclear programs worldwide. [includes rush transcript]

Arundhati Roy has also become known across the globe for her powerful political essays in books like "Power Politics," "War Talk," "The Checkbook and the Cruise Missile" and her latest, "An Ordinary Person’s Guide to Empire."

In June of 2005, she served as a Chair of Jury of Conscience at the World Tribunal on Iraq. She joins us today in the firehouse studio for the hour. Welcome to Democracy Now!

Arundhati Roy, author and activist.
    In June 2005, a World Tribunal on Iraq was held in Istanbul, Turkey. A 17-member Jury of Conscience at the Tribunal heard testimonies from a panel of advocates and witnesses who came from across the world. You were selected as the chair of the jury. This is an excerpt of your address.

Arundhati Roy, speaking at the World Tribunal on Iraq. (Courtesy: Deep Dish TV from the DVD "The World Tribunal on Iraq: The Final Session")
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way