Options

Voice of Russia story:'EXPERTS TO BUSH: BACK OFF, IRAN IS "NOT A CRISIS"'

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
edited September 2006 in A Moving Train
http://www.vor.ru/English/new/?view=tidbits&id=168

Sure, this is the Russian equivalent of VOA. Just thought I'd put this up, anyway:

EXPERTS TO BUSH: BACK OFF, IRAN IS "NOT A CRISIS"

By David Brian

Twenty-one former US generals and high ranking national security officials have called on President George W. Bush not to authorize a military strike against Iran.

"An attack on Iran would have disastrous consequences for security in the region and U.S. forces in Iraq," the authors argued. "It would inflame hatred and violence in the Middle East and among Muslims everywhere." Retired Army Lt. Gen. Robert G. Gard, one of the letter's signers and a former military assistant to Defense Secretary Robert McNamara in the 1960s and General Joseph Hoar, the onetime Commander in Chief of U.S. Military Central Command urge the White House to reverse course and embrace a new area of direct negotiation with Tehran. A strategy of diplomatic interaction with Tehran would serve the interests of the United States and its allies and would also bolster regional and global security,” the letter goes.

The Bush Administration keeps saying it sees diplomacy as a shortcut to solving the Iranian nuclear problem but adds that it still considers all options on the table, including a military one. Earlier Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad told the CBS that his country did not intend to obtain a nuclear weapon and would stick to peaceful use of nuclear energy only. “Frankly speaking, we... are not working on the bomb,” the Iranian leader said. “The era of nukes is gone, the time we live in today is one of intelligence, dialog and cultural exchange and by trying to force us to roll up our nuclear research effort the United States is simply trying to slow us down economically,” President Ahmadinejad said adding that President Bush would not succeed in reversing the progress of Iran’s nuclear energy program.

“The Bush team and those who support them want to monopolize the energy resources of the whole world and as soon as they do it they will be able to force their will on everyone else and at a big profit too,” President Ahmadinejad said. The Iranian leader minced no words criticizing the United States and President Bush insisting that the Americans “are building an empire and do not want to live in peace with other nations”. He also accused Washington of procrastinating on Israel’s military operation in Lebanon to please Israel.

Asked if he wished to restore diplomatic ties with the United States, President Ahmadinejad said the ball was now in the American court. “It’s absolutely obvious to me that the US government must change its attitude towards my country and if it does, everything will be all right,” he added.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Coming from Russian, NO SURPRISE here! China should be next to echo this.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    If America attacks Iran, relations between America and Russia will be destroyed. In addition, we risk making a long-term enemy out of China.

Bush has tiny little rocks in his head, so I'd bet that we'll be in Iran before Christmas.
  • Options
    Yeah, ignore the threats made by Iran and friends, veiled as they are. They're just a bunch of pranksters right? They mean no harm. Everything in the world is Mr. Bush's fault anyways.

Global warming = bush and co
    Middle East problems = bush and co
    World hunger = bush and co
    poverty= bush and co
    Disease= bush and co
    Crime = bush and co

did I miss any?
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I just thought it would be interesting to show the Russian take on this, however predictable it might be. I note that the article is listed in the "Tid-bits" section. There's a similar article in the Persian Journal, dated 17 August:

http://www.iranian.ws/iran_news/publish/article_17273.shtml

Now, let's see if we can find anything in the US press about Robert G. Gard's words:

Ah, here we go. This is from LaRouche's website (yes, yes, I know):

http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2006/3334hoar_pr_conf.html

Can't find anything in the mainstream Western press.