Options

Obama's win spurs hundreds of race threats

Vedderlution_BabyVedderlution_Baby Posts: 2,545
edited November 2008 in A Moving Train
The Associated Press

Cross burnings. Schoolchildren chanting "Assassinate Obama." Black figures hung from nooses. Racial epithets scrawled on homes and cars.

Incidents around the country referring to president-elect Barack Obama are dampening the post-election glow of racial progress and harmony, highlighting the stubborn racism that remains in America.

From California to Maine, police have documented a range of alleged crimes, from vandalism and vague threats to at least one physical attack. Insults and taunts have been delivered by adults, college students and second-graders.

There have been "hundreds" of incidents since the election, many more than usual, said Mark Potok, director of the Intelligence Project at the Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate crimes.

One was in Snellville, Ga., where Denene Millner said a boy on the school bus told her nine-year-old daughter the day after the election: "I hope Obama gets assassinated." That night, someone trashed her sister-in-law's front lawn, mangled the Obama lawn signs, and left two pizza boxes filled with human feces outside the front door, Millner said.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20081115/obama_racial_081115/20081115?hub=TopStories&s_name=

(Remade for Mr.Brian since I got his original thread locked. Sorry about that.)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    it's alrite.

I just made another thread asking the question about how to end it..

Let's see where it goes.
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    are you surprised? colin powel's wife didn't want him to run in 2000 b/c just the thought caused death threats
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    MrBrian wrote:
    Do you have a solution? Or are you going to let your anger get in the way of one?

If a racist saw your post, the chances of him/her changing their views/thinking is very low. We need to come up with a real solution to the problem of racism.

Well maybe the problem of racism will never fully come to an end. But I know that we can change some hearts. That should be our goal.

For one, finding out why an individual would have such views in the first place. I mean what would make someone not like another based just on the color of their skin?

I guess we can address it on an individual level for maximum effect.

Thoughts?

I mean it's easy to just get angry and wish bad for these people. But the truth is, we should feel sorry for them. Try and understand them. Deal with the problem.

It just goes to show people's ignorance in the matter of racism. Many seem to forget he has just as much white blood flowing through him as black. However, it comes down to his outward appearance to these people maybe to them he has broken some sacred ground in seating himself in the White House come January for the next 4 years.

What's the seed to this problem of racism may come from where we started in our history in one race feeling the superiority of slavery over another. Many may not want to give up that feeling of superiority and dominance. I do feel though once he gets in the White House and hopefully IF Obama can make a difference to the positive in their lives their views of racism may change for the better.

Just maybe there is greater good that Obama has ascended to the top of the heap of being President of the US. Just maybe this can be one of those changes he says is coming to America, we shall see for our children's sake.

Peace everybody
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    All this stuff was easily predictable. In a country where only 50 years ago blacks were being lynched, what did you expect? Maybe a few years down the line with Obama at the helm things will have improved.