Options

What makes a Patriot

Vedderlution_BabyVedderlution_Baby Posts: 2,545
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
I, myself, am not patriotic. Too me it was just how the hand was dealt that I happened to be born in America so I can't really get into it. Like the line, "won the lottery, by being born... " I'm just curious as to what makes people patriotic. By the way,I'm not ragging on the patriots around here, just asking a question.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    Beats me, I feel the same way you do. I played the educational simulator Real Lives about a dozen times and was born in Indonesia most of the time. I had to actually select "Canada" to be born in Canada.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I, myself, am not patriotic. Too me it was just how the hand was dealt that I happened to be born in America so I can't really get into it. Like the line, "won the lottery, by being born... " I'm just curious as to what makes people patriotic. By the way,I'm not ragging on the patriots around here, just asking a question.
    I'm a Patriot. I love my country. I love the basic principles we were founded upon. I believe in the Constitution. I believe in the system and working within it, in order to change it. I believe in the law and abide by them.
    I recognise that we are far from perfect... and that we make mistakes. I don't try to cover up or make excuses for our wrong doings... rather, I own up to them and seek forgivness.
    I believe there are enemies, both foriegn and domestic... including within our own government. I believe in the Office of the President of the United States of America, but do not always respect the man sitting there. And do what I can to exact change by working within the system. I vote.
    I wish that we would lead by example, rather than by the end of the gun. I wish that we were more selfless with our wealth and prosperity, rather than being so selfish and adding more rooms we don't need to our houses.
    If needed... I would kill in order to preserve the basic principles our Constitution grants us. I will not kill to defend the profit margins or bottom lines of companies doing business here.
    I respect the symbols of my country, like the flag... but I do not worship them. I don't believe that waving the flag or wearing it on your lapel means anything other that an attempt to show others how patriotic you are... I believe a patriot wears his flag on his heart. I don't care how the next guy demostrates his opinion... like if he wants to burn his flag in protest... fine. i will never burn mine.
    I love America and the promise of America... I hope we find our way back to America.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Cosmo wrote:
    I'm a Patriot. I love my country. I love the basic principles we were founded upon. I believe in the Constitution. I believe in the system and working within it, in order to change it. I believe in the law and abide by them.
    I recognise that we are far from perfect... and that we make mistakes. I don't try to cover up or make excuses for our wrong doings... rather, I own up to them and seek forgivness.
    I believe there are enemies, both foriegn and domestic... including within our own government. I believe in the Office of the President of the United States of America, but do not always respect the man sitting there. And do what I can to exact change by working within the system. I vote.
    I wish that we would lead by example, rather than by the end of the gun. I wish that we were more selfless with our wealth and prosperity, rather than being so selfish and adding more rooms we don't need to our houses.
    If needed... I would kill in order to preserve the basic principles our Constitution grants us. I will not kill to defend the profit margins or bottom lines of companies doing business here.
    I respect the symbols of my country, like the flag... but I do not worship them. I don't believe that waving the flag or wearing it on your lapel means anything other that an attempt to show others how patriotic you are... I believe a patriot wears his flag on his heart. I don't care how the next guy demostrates his opinion... like if he wants to burn his flag in protest... fine. i will never burn mine.
    I love America and the promise of America... I hope we find our way back to America.
    wow dude what a great post u made.this sums up what it means to be a Patriot
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    I am a patriot as well. I am proud of our nation's beliefs and (until recently) pacifist and peace loving history. I do not see my country through rose coloured glasses, and am quick to speak when my country is deviating from the ideals that I think our state encapsulates. I like that we're free thinking and open minded people who live in harmony with people from all over the world. I love that I can walk the streets at night even in a big city and feel safe. I think we can be a great example to the world without throwing our weight around or pointing a gun. We are a respected nation, not only for our political ideals but for the reputation of our citizens. Plus we make good beer :)
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Cosmo wrote:

Couldn't have said it any better. Well done.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    LazLaz Posts: 118

couldn't help but ask, the hand dealt by whom? or what?

you guys have it all wrong... Tom Brady is a Patriot not you guys...
  • Options
    veritasveritas Posts: 31
    riot act is best

cunts watch their bodies
  • Options
    When I said the hands that dealt I meant the hand dealt by chance and randomness, nothing more than that. All of you guys made good points. Thanks guys.