Options

Forum problems

Vedderlution_BabyVedderlution_Baby Posts: 2,535
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
We all know the state of things on A Moving Train. Instead of reasoned debate and well informed findings it's turned into a shit throwing match. This makes absolutly no fucking sense. As a Pearl Jam fan, I hoped that we would all have a basic respect for each other so we wouldn't drop down to insults. (You would think being fellow human beings would settle THAT issue, but I guess not). Why do so many of you enjoy putting everyone down? Why do so many of you click on the threads you know are going to piss you off? Why do so many of you click on a thread when you know the only response you're going to have is going to be a shitty one that holds no grounds whatsoever. It seems like a lot of people on here just want to piss off anyone they can that doesn't think like them. How about this...you shut up with your demeaning insults and worthless slobber so those who have something to say, can?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    ...because we live in a world where guys like this are perceived as people we "can't really disagree with."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbmgkCiwTKo
  • Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    I agree, its like watching a couple of monkeys flinging poo over here sometimes.

There are some of us who enjoy a good debate though, I know I've learned some things from reading others perspectives.... but, those are the folks who aren't hell bent on either 1) converting everyone to their beliefs 2) just picking a fight to see who they can work up.

Its a shame.
  • Options
    Bump for my homies in cell block d
  • Options
    Well said...and some people should maybe limit the amount of times they express an opinion that consist only of four letter words...once and a while I'd like to hear people talk like well educated adults.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,218
    Well said...and some people should maybe limit the amount of times they express an opinion that consist only of four letter words...once and a while I'd like to hear people talk like well educated adults.
    Fuckin' aye.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    once and a while I'd like to hear people talk like well educated adults.

So would I.
  • Options
    So would I.

It's amazing to me how many people decide to disrespect each other because they haven't got anything informative to say. Another thing, if you think that everyone who thinks (blank) has something wrong with it, why do you insist on entering the thread and then telling them, once again, as if they didn't hear you the first one thousand times, that they are crazy and out of touch with reality. You've said it. You've said it more than once. We know what your insults are. Stop repeating them. I dare ask, just what would people do if the mods closed the train for two days? How would people make it through without the means to insult one another?
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    It's amazing to me how many people decide to disrespect each other because they haven't got anything informative to say. Another thing, if you think that everyone who thinks (blank) has something wrong with it, why do you insist on entering the thread and then telling them, once again, as if they didn't hear you the first one thousand times, that they are crazy and out of touch with reality. You've said it. You've said it more than once. We know what your insults are. Stop repeating them. I dare ask, just what would people do if the mods closed the train for two days? How would people make it through without the means to insult one another?

Yeah, I think I'd support such a move. Shut it down for a bit and allow people to simmer down.
  • Options
    Yeah, I think I'd support such a move. Shut it down for a bit and allow people to simmer down.

The more I think about it, the better it sounds.
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    let my love open the door
  • Options
    Abuskedti wrote:
    let my love open the door

NO. Let MY love open the door.
    The world's greatest empires progress through this sequence:From bondage to spiritual faith; spiritual faith to great courage; courage to liberty;liberty to abundance;abundance to selfishness; selfishness to complacency;complacency to apathy;apathy to dependence;dependency back again into bondage
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223

Yep. There are people here with extreme views on either side. They'll often completely ignore those occasions in threads when somebody's posted something interesting, informative and reasoned; they'll look instead for a comment that's short, slang-ridden and controversial, so they can hit back at them and turn the thread into a slanging match. Threads get derailed very quickly, because of this. We know who the main culprits are, we don't need to "out" them. They know who they are too, and they could do the forum a favour for all of us, if they took their arguments to PMs or elsewhere, and kept them there. Often I think people use politics as an excuse for airing personal unhappinesses and frustrations; a golden rule for posting should be, "Am I interested in reading other people's views on a subject, whatever they are, or am I just here to assert my sense of virtual, if not real, power, irrespective of anyone else?"
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    I haven't been hanging around here very much because people have become so close minded that debate is nearly impossible.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    Yep. There are people here with extreme views on either side. They'll often completely ignore those occasions in threads when somebody's posted something interesting, informative and reasoned; they'll look instead for a comment that's short, slang-ridden and controversial, so they can hit back at them and turn the thread into a slanging match. Threads get derailed very quickly, because of this. We know who the main culprits are, we don't need to "out" them. They know who they are too, and they could do the forum a favour for all of us, if they took their arguments to PMs or elsewhere, and kept them there. Often I think people use politics as an excuse for airing personal unhappinesses and frustrations; a golden rule for posting should be, "Am I interested in reading other people's views on a subject, whatever they are, or am I just here to assert my sense of virtual, if not real, power, irrespective of anyone else?"

there is benefit in understand people frustrations with politics.. and in endulging your own for understanding...

I think the mods do a pretty good job of censoring when it gets out of hand.

generally speaking .. through all the silliness, this is still a good place to bounce ideas around.
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I dare ask, just what would people do if the mods closed the train for two days? How would people make it through without the means to insult one another?

They could always use the All Encompassing Trip.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    MCG wrote:
    They could always use the All Encompassing Trip.

They are way to happy and funny in there to enjoy our cynical viewpoints of the world....:)

I love the AET...could place to get a laugh...especially the thread about Snakes on a Airplane or whatever that movie is...wow I cried from laughing at the posts in that thread......
  • Options
    barakabaraka Posts: 1,268
    This thread pretty much sums it up for me. It has been hard for me to stomach this place lately. This is the first day I've logged in for a couple of weeks. There is a lot going on in the world right now and it seems that people have taken their sides, turning a blind eye to differing opinions. In the past, I have enjoyed the cordial & intelectual debate here and I have met some really great people! I hope we can get this train back on track soon.
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
    but the illusion of knowledge.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
    ~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    We all know the state of things on A Moving Train. Instead of reasoned debate and well informed findings it's turned into a shit throwing match. This makes absolutly no fucking sense. As a Pearl Jam fan, I hoped that we would all have a basic respect for each other so we wouldn't drop down to insults. (You would think being fellow human beings would settle THAT issue, but I guess not). Why do so many of you enjoy putting everyone down? Why do so many of you click on the threads you know are going to piss you off? Why do so many of you click on a thread when you know the only response you're going to have is going to be a shitty one that holds no grounds whatsoever. It seems like a lot of people on here just want to piss off anyone they can that doesn't think like them. How about this...you shut up with your demeaning insults and worthless slobber so those who have something to say, can?

Hey I've got some enlightenment for you.......F You! lol....seriously if you can't deal with the maturity level around here go to a Harvard Business School chat room or something. I'm sure there is name calling and fart jokes there too, just part of life I guess. So basically you're screwed.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,774
    There are no holds barred political forums online for people who enjoy that. We have Posting Guidelines we feel are important and we think things can be better here...with people posting their thoughts and being good to each other. We have the guidelines everywhere... reasoned debate, let's all learn something, etc. A few accounts are currently in danger and we don't like to exclude anyone ever...so let's see how much better we can all make the forum, ok?

If there is a problem post, we appreciate the Report To Mod so we can zero in on it and help things. Thank you.

Admin
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    There have been many posts by us recently cautioning about the Posting Guidelines. Unfortunately, this forum is now closed for maintenance.

Admin
  • Options
    There have been many posts by us recently cautioning about the Posting Guidelines...about how people are treating each other...the personal comments on each other instead of just discussing the issues. Unfortunately, now this forum is closed for maintenance.

Admin