Options

Question

Vedderlution_BabyVedderlution_Baby Posts: 2,545
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
I just asked this in another thread and I think it needs it's own thread. Now I ask this question out of curiousity. I would hope that people give actual responses before spouting off bullshit.

What make's a soldier's life outweigh a civilian's life. It seems that people react more when something bad happens to a soldier than they do to a civilian. Yes, you can use the current situation as an example.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
    I'm not sure if I have clearly understood your question. But yes, I've noticed as well that a lot of the american public opinion is against the war because the young american soldier are dying there. Pearl jam are one example, writing "yellow ledbetter", "army reserve" and "world wide suicide" to dead american soldiers. I admit that I might be wrong on this, it is just an impression.
    In Europe (continental Europe, at least), instead, people are more concentrated in what's happening to the civilians in the conflict. I might argue that this is due to the fact that we live more close to the conflict, that we see all the refugees coming... but it might be a more deep thing.
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
  • Options
    ilanailana Posts: 78
    I just asked this in another thread and I think it needs it's own thread. Now I ask this question out of curiousity. I would hope that people give actual responses before spouting off bullshit.

What make's a soldier's life outweigh a civilian's life. It seems that people react more when something bad happens to a soldier than they do to a civilian. Yes, you can use the current situation as an example.
    the answer seems obvious, there is a bigger reaction when a soldier dies, becouse a soldier represents the safty and sacurity of your country, when our soldiers lose we lose.
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    I think historically most of Canada's military was killed by allied forces. As I understand in recent conflicts we have become more complimentary to the US role. This has cost us soldiers at the hands of real enemies. I don't think of it any different way. Except we shouldn't be fighting wars. A life is a life regardless of who's it is. However, a soldier pledged his life to his cause. A civilian wasn't given a choice.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Because the government programs your mind to warp the reality of it. Why is one human life better and more deserving than another of equal moral standing?

Answer: It isn't. Plain and simple.

It's a (sucessful) societal mindfuck that has been played on you by your government.
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Because the government programs your mind to warp the reality of it. Why is one human life better and more deserving than another of equal moral standing?

Answer: It isn't. Plain and simple.

It's a (sucessful) societal mindfuck that has been played on you by your government.

Do you ever take a break? ;)

Ive often wondered, in the example of cops, why a cop's life is "worth more" than an average joe's. I guess it comes down to when someone offers their life to protect yours, you tend to give more honor and value to that man's life. Its not programming, its being human. Someone willing to die for what they believe in, while maybe not worth more than me, certainly gave or is giving alot more than many would.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    melodiousmelodious Posts: 1,719
    Do you ever take a break? ;)

Ive often wondered, in the example of cops, why a cop's life is "worth more" than an average joe's. I guess it comes down to when someone offers their life to protect yours, you tend to give more honor and value to that man's life. Its not programming, its being human. Someone willing to die for what they believe in, while maybe not worth more than me, certainly gave or is giving alot more than many would.
    But when does there value reach a ceiling? I have much respect for firefighters, but overall, a firefighter can do all the jobs; hell for that matter, any public agent is required to mandate record. Most people don't realize that local dog catchers are now paid informants for public agencies to gain attention and incorporate. Problem is that civic workers don't have a good system of checks and measures to manage( ? )and your discussion here generates more thoughts regarding an entire economy. A retired police officer in Contra Costa County brings in about $85,000. a year. Do you think your tax dollars should be devoted to a human being who may retire at 40 after 20 years of service for the rest of his/her life? Using an estimate of 50 year pension plan, that's over 42,000,000. now use a caluculator and a permutate it. Does this make sense? Do you think if we knew how to abide by laws of nature and self-discipline tht maybe demand may not be as high for fear-based economy?
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light