Options

stress/war

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
how does everyone here deal with stress?

I am having trouble dealing with the stress of living with a world at war. Its upsetting to read the paper. The war has ripped my life apart. I am upset about the current world, about racism, sexism, homophobia, the environment, workers wages etc...

How do you all deal with the stress of daily life?

Like for instance, this year I was at school. I would have to study for classes,then the next day would read in the newspapers that two more soldiers were killed in Iraq, the day before. It would make me think, "why am I here in school?"

Its upsetting all the violence and death, and I am interested to here how everyone here deals with it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    spongersponger Posts: 3,160
    The first thing you want to do is realize that you are powerless to do anything about it. The reason why you are so affected is because you feel like you should be out there making a difference or something. Stop thinking that.
  • Options
    sponger wrote:
    The first thing you want to do is realize that you are powerless to do anything about it. The reason why you are so affected is because you feel like you should be out there making a difference or something. Stop thinking that.

As a citizen, as a voter, we are not powerless to do anything about it. Ok, the voting thing hasn't gone too well the last 2 general elections, but we still have a voice, still have the right to protest (almost).
    You can make a difference in the smallest of ways. Join mailing lists, talk to friends, spread information, counter the disinformation, join protest groups, go on protests, sign petitions, change your lifestyle to one best suited to further the causes that affect you, and on, and on, and on.

We can't all lead a revolution, but if we can change one persons mind, present them with a truer version of reality, then they may go onto change anothers mind, and another, then another. Just my 2 cents ;-)
    The world's greatest empires progress through this sequence:From bondage to spiritual faith; spiritual faith to great courage; courage to liberty;liberty to abundance;abundance to selfishness; selfishness to complacency;complacency to apathy;apathy to dependence;dependency back again into bondage
  • Options
    OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    Cynical, but somewhat true, sponger.

The key to getting by is focusing on yourself and your closest surroundings. They are the ones you can affect after all. If you want to feel like you're helping then volunteer for something, and start at a very small piece of the problem you would have fixed. Staring yourself blind at injustice in the world is paralyzing, gets you down and helps noone.

Also, always remember that almost evrything of the good stuff in the world, never makes the news. Things are rarely as bad as they can be propped up to be, although there certainly are big problems around. there are no quick fixes or any simple thing you can do to fix the world. It's too big and complex for that. But you can make a difference in your close relations. focus on that first of all.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • Options
    how does everyone here deal with stress?

Its upsetting all the violence and death, and I am interested to here how everyone here deals with it.

...good question, cause I am struggling big times as well those days.
    And I read through the replies and yeah yeah I agree, start within the small possibilities that are given, get local, act global ...
    try to do things your way, follow your values and be different.

So, I am even a lucky one who really is able to make a difference with a given business, but still,
    things have become so crazy, I feel like loosing it all.
    Since more then two years I am pretty involved in the local stage, run a business successfully although I support and integrate all the environmental protection issues and labor rights possible.
    The business gets more successful every month, although all is so different as usual...
    but around me, around the small town, nothing gets better but worse every day considering all those horrible news from around the globe.

So it is strange, but it seems as more as I get involved and get active as more I think things get worse.
    It might be because I know more by now, or I know just that there is another way and still, nothing is really changing on the big screen and that is sooo depressing...

dunno,
    So, yeah, there is stress
    and I try to get over it by spending as much time as possible in nature.
    and by remembering the good stuff (like Dan pointed out).
    well,
    sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

I guess time is tough so it is to deal with...
    .. just accept it and try your best
    and most important: DON'T give up on hope for better times!!!
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • Options
    belfast1belfast1 Posts: 780
    i deal with stress through listening to music and getting out into nature

one of the best ways to avoid stress is to avoid getting wound up by those out to wind you up

thats the one thing i've learned in the last few days

cheers
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    May I suggest Franklin Covey, or Stephen Covey, one of their books. I read "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" which covers a wide range of topics dealing with day-to-day life and stress management is included. I've also attended an anger management course, though I found it to be rather redundant.

One analogy I've found useful is the Circle of Concern > Circle of Influence, which can understood by the link below. Stephen Covey includes a Circle of Control aswell, which is invariably the smallest circle.
    http://www.breakoutofthebox.com/circle.htm

Check out some of http://www.FranklinCovey.com, I just did the "stress test" and my results were low.
    http://www.franklincovey.com/promotion/stressedout/low_results.html

I do quite well managing my stress with just the philosphy. There are several suggestions to lower stress such as: spending time with friends, take the stairs instead of the elevator, go to bed early, etc.. But I do just fine focusing on my Circle of Influence and not letting things beyond my influence irritate me.

I express my discontent quite often and in ways that exhibit stress. However, at the end of the day (or even the sentance) it doesn't linger with me. Expressing my opinion is a form of stress relief and projection of influence aswell.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire