Auto-Save Draft feature temporarily disabled. Please be sure you manually save your post by selecting "Save Draft" if you have that need.

State of emergency declared in Baghdad

PJfanFORlifePJfanFORlife Posts: 138
edited June 2006 in A Moving Train
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060623/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_060623145428



BAGHDAD, Iraq - The Iraqi government declared a state of emergency and imposed a curfew Friday after insurgents set up roadblocks in central Baghdad and fired on U.S. and Iraqi troops outside the heavily fortified Green Zone.



Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki ordered everyone off the streets of the capital from 2 p.m. until 5 p.m.

Iraqi and U.S. military forces clashed throughout the morning with attackers carrying rocket-propelled grenades, hand grenades and rifles in busy Haifa Street, which runs into the Green Zone, site of the U.S. and British embassies and the Iraqi government.

Four Iraqi soldiers and three policemen were wounded, police Lt. Maitham Abdul Razzaq said.

The area was sealed and Iraqi and U.S. forces conducted house-to-house searches.

The fighting was unusual in its scope and intensity. There have, however, routinely been clashes along Haifa Street, making it so dangerous that a sign at one Green Zone exit checkpoint warns drivers against using it.

U.S. and Iraqi forces also fought gunmen in the volatile Dora neighborhood in south Baghdad.

Two U.S. soldiers were killed when a roadside bomb struck their vehicle southeast of the capital, the U.S. military said.

The military also said two U.S. Marines died in combat in volatile Anbar province in separate attacks on Wednesday and Thursday, and a soldier died elsewhere in a non-combat incident on Wednesday.

At least 2,517 members of the U.S. military have died since the Iraq war started in March 2003, according to an Associated Press count.

A car bomb ripped through a market and nearby gas station in the increasingly violent southern city of Basra, killing at least five people and wounding 18, including two policemen, police said.

A bomb also struck a Sunni mosque in Hibhib, northeast of Baghdad, killing 10 worshippers and wounding 15 in the town where Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was slain this month, police said. The area is the scene of frequent sectarian violence and there was no apparent connection to al-Zarqawi's killing.

At least 19 other deaths were reported in Baghdad.

The prime minister's office at first said the curfew would last until 6 a.m. Saturday but then shortened it.

The state of emergency includes a ban on carrying weapons and gives Iraqi security forces broader arrest powers, Defense Ministry official Maj. Gen. Abdul-Aziz Mohamed Jassim said.

"The state of emergency and curfew came in the wake of today's clashes to let the army work freely to chase militants and to avoid casualties among civilians," he said. "They will punish all those who have weapons with them and they can shoot them if they feel that they are danger."

Gunmen also attacked a group of worshippers marching from Sadr City, the Shiite slum in eastern Baghdad, to the Buratha mosque on the other side of the city to protest a suicide attack a week ago on the revered Shiite shrine. At least one marcher was killed and four were wounded, Lt. Ahmed Mohammed Ali said.

Al-Maliki has been trying to rein in unrelenting insurgent and sectarian violence. He launched a massive security operation in Baghdad 10 days ago, deploying tens of thousands of troops who flooded the city, snarling traffic with hundreds of checkpoints.

Police said they found the bodies of five men who apparently were victims of a mass kidnapping from a factory on Wednesday. The bodies, which showed signs of torture and had their hands and legs bound, were floating in a canal in northern Baghdad, police Lt. Maitham Abdul-Razzaq said.

A police raid on a farm Thursday freed 17 of the captives

Meanwhile, the U.S. military said it killed four foreign insurgents in a raid north of Fallujah. Two of the dead men had 15-pound bombs strapped to their bodies. The military said an insurgent thought to be an Iraqi also was killed in the raid, which was launched on the basis of information from a suspected arrested in the region in previous days.

Separately, the military said, it detained a senior leader of al-Qaida in Iraq and three other suspected insurgents Monday during raids northeast of Baghdad, near where al-Zarqawi was killed in a U.S. air raid earlier this month.
Guess I'll trn on music instead...

ccfa.org

http://organicconsumers.com/
Post edited by Unknown User on
«1

Comments

  • chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    isn't that a bit like declaring it's cold in antarctica
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    I could only make it about half way through the article before I stopped reading in disgust. Anyone that claims we're helping anyone or anything in Iraq should read this article. It saddens me to know that the U.S. has escalated the violence in Iraq and seem hell bent on "staying the course."
  • It is clear al-Qaida is just a part of the mix in regards to the troubles in Iraq. I guess those crazy liberals and the left wing-bat generals who are telling America and the world that these are homegrown Iraqi insurgents and this is the reason for so many of the attacks against innocent Iraqis and Americans are just that...out of touch, cut and runners, hate America and the troops, communist lefties they really are. Can we please get a resolution passed banning the tail between legs cut and run liberal generals who have been in Iraq and have seen for themselves what a democracy looks like and now they think they can come back and bash the President. When it is clear Freedom is on the March and our Mission is almost Accomplished. Makes me sick.
    Casper, WY 06/16/95
    Park City, UT 06/21/98
    Mountain View, CA 06/01/03
    San Diego, CA 07/07/06
    San Francisco, CA 07/15/06
  • chopitdown wrote:
    isn't that a bit like declaring it's cold in antarctica

    Well played.
  • inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    two words: civil war....

    until that is recognized and addressed...the death and destruction will continue...
  • inmytree wrote:
    two words: civil war....

    until that is recognized and addressed...the death and destruction will continue...

    And how do you propose to address it?
  • danmacdanmac Posts: 387
    It is clear al-Qaida is just a part of the mix in regards to the troubles in Iraq. I guess those crazy liberals and the left wing-bat generals who are telling America and the world that these are homegrown Iraqi insurgents and this is the reason for so many of the attacks against innocent Iraqis and Americans are just that...out of touch, cut and runners, hate America and the troops, communist lefties they really are. Can we please get a resolution passed banning the tail between legs cut and run liberal generals who have been in Iraq and have seen for themselves what a democracy looks like and now they think they can come back and bash the President. When it is clear Freedom is on the March and our Mission is almost Accomplished. Makes me sick.


    Wow, yeah man. You're in touch.

    It is clear freedom is on the march? Where?

    Mission ALMOST accomplished? What was the mission, and how near to it is the US administration?

    Picture this, Saigon, 1975, the embassy roof. Hueys buzzing, groaning under the weight of American evacuees as the VC take pot shots at the last oppressors to leave their soil.

    Take that same picture, put it anywhere from now until next summer, put it in the Green zone, throw in some sand, but this time, add a caption underneath that image.

    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
    A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects
    are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider
    god-fearing and pious: Aristotle

    Viva Zapatista!
  • danmacdanmac Posts: 387
    And how do you propose to address it?

    Doesn't need addressing. Not by the US, the UK, the UN, nobody but the Iraqi people. The vast, vast majority of the 25 million Iraqis are not 'insurgents', or soldiers, or even cary guns. When left to govern themselves however they see fit, a peoples will find the necessary respect to live together. The majority will rule. They are not kindergarten children who need policing.
    A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects
    are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider
    god-fearing and pious: Aristotle

    Viva Zapatista!
  • danmac wrote:
    Doesn't need addressing. Not by the US, the UK, the UN, nobody but the Iraqi people.

    Then it does need addressing. You propose that the Iraqis address it.
    The vast, vast majority of the 25 million Iraqis are not 'insurgents', or soldiers, or even cary guns. When left to govern themselves however they see fit, a peoples will find the necessary respect to live together. The majority will rule. They are not kindergarten children who need policing.

    Agreed. Do you agree with the poster that this is a "civil war"?
  • inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    And how do you propose to address it?

    well, we can sit back and let them kill each other and befriend the victor...which seems to be the current plan...

    or we leave and let them continue to kill each other...

    or we can reach out to all parties, after the fact there is a civil war is going on, and work to broker a deal between all parties...

    or perhaps Irak could be split up along sector lines and each can have it's own playground....

    or we work with other counties in the world to help address the issue...

    what were you thinking...?
  • rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    war just blows...
  • NCfanNCfan Posts: 945
    danmac wrote:
    Doesn't need addressing. Not by the US, the UK, the UN, nobody but the Iraqi people. The vast, vast majority of the 25 million Iraqis are not 'insurgents', or soldiers, or even cary guns. When left to govern themselves however they see fit, a peoples will find the necessary respect to live together. The majority will rule. They are not kindergarten children who need policing.

    LOL, ha ha ha. When left to govern themselves?!?!?! Do you even live on the planet Earth? Ever heard of Mogadishu, Beriut? It's the people who have military power are the ones who call the shots like they see.

    In a land like Iraq, there will be no such thing as the majority will rule unless America establishes a democracy there.

    Give me a break!
  • darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    well it took long enough didnt it?
  • inmytree wrote:
    well, we can sit back and let them kill each other and befriend the victor...which seems to be the current plan...

    Well that wouldn't meet your standard of "the death and destruction will continue"
    or we leave and let them continue to kill each other...

    Well that wouldn't meet your standard of "the death and destruction will continue"
    or we can reach out to all parties, after the fact there is a civil war is going on, and work to broker a deal between all parties...

    And what do they have to broker?
    or perhaps Irak could be split up along sector lines and each can have it's own playground....

    How would this stop the civil war you mention, other than by turning it into an international war?
    or we work with other counties in the world to help address the issue...

    What would those other countries do?
    what were you thinking...?

    To stop holding "death and destruction" as a standard.
  • rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    Woohoo another party in Iraq... how surprising...

    They should serve popsicles in the streets of Iraq....that'll save more lives than any soldier can at this point...
  • inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    Well that wouldn't meet your standard of "the death and destruction will continue"



    Well that wouldn't meet your standard of "the death and destruction will continue"



    And what do they have to broker?



    How would this stop the civil war you mention, other than by turning it into an international war?



    What would those other countries do?



    To stop holding "death and destruction" as a standard.

    lets start again...I feel there is currently a civil war going on in Irak...until something is done to stop this current civil war...death and destruction will continue...that was my point...as for addressing it, I made a couple of suggestions perhaps stop it eventually...granted they may not be the best suggestings...and yes, I'm glad to see you recognized a couple were tounge and cheek...good work...

    let see: broker...that means work about an agreement to not kill each other...

    other countries may come in and not tell the Iraqis what to do with their country...have you heard of the concept of mediation...? from what I understand it works...

    let me ask you this...what do you suggest..? do you have any...?
  • inmytree wrote:
    let see: broker...that means work about an agreement to not kill each other...

    And what do they have to agree about?
    other countries may come in and not tell the Iraqis what to do with their country...have you heard of the concept of mediation...? from what I understand it works...

    What interest do the sides have in mediation? What do the mediators have to offer them?
    let me ask you this...what do you suggest..?

    To judge the situation based on the Iraqi's ability to live and build, rather than their ability to die and destroy.
  • inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    To judge the situation based on the Iraqi's ability to live and build, rather than their ability to die and destroy.


    what does this mean...? could you expand and enlighten..?
  • Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    NCfan wrote:
    In a land like Iraq, there will be no such thing as the majority will rule unless America establishes a democracy there.
    You cannot be serious. America can't even keep a real democracy in America.
  • inmytree wrote:
    what does this mean...? could you expand and enlighten..?

    It means exactly what it says. Why focus on those that are fighting and dying? Rather, we should focus on those who are not fighting and not dying. The solution to this war will extend from that.

    The situation in Iraq should not be judged by a body count. Say for example that your body count gets to zero. No more people are dying. Congratulations. But you haven't asked the important question -- what are these people living for? To simply not die in a war??? Is that a standard of life?

    The men attempting to build their businesses, the women attempting to build schools, the people attempting to restore Iraq after two generations of disaster. Where are these people? Why are you not focusing on them, but rather the fools on all sides who believe that the only way to achieve is to destroy? What mindset do you support....the one that holds a zero as its highest standard or the mindset that holds a purpose as its highest standard?
  • danmac wrote:
    Wow, yeah man. You're in touch.

    It is clear freedom is on the march? Where?

    Mission ALMOST accomplished? What was the mission, and how near to it is the US administration?

    Picture this, Saigon, 1975, the embassy roof. Hueys buzzing, groaning under the weight of American evacuees as the VC take pot shots at the last oppressors to leave their soil.

    Take that same picture, put it anywhere from now until next summer, put it in the Green zone, throw in some sand, but this time, add a caption underneath that image.

    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

    I was kidding. I was trying to do my best Stephen Colbert impression. Iraq is a disaster and Bush Inc. is the cause.
    Casper, WY 06/16/95
    Park City, UT 06/21/98
    Mountain View, CA 06/01/03
    San Diego, CA 07/07/06
    San Francisco, CA 07/15/06
  • inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    It means exactly what it says. Why focus on those that are fighting and dying? Rather, we should focus on those who are not fighting and not dying. The solution to this war will extend from that.

    The situation in Iraq should not be judged by a body count. Say for example that your body count gets to zero. No more people are dying. Congratulations. But you haven't asked the important question -- what are these people living for? To simply not die in a war??? Is that a standard of life?

    The men attempting to build their businesses, the women attempting to build schools, the people attempting to restore Iraq after two generations of disaster. Where are these people? Why are you not focusing on them, but rather the fools on all sides who believe that the only way to achieve is to destroy? What mindset do you support....the one that holds a zero as its highest standard or the mindset that holds a purpose as its highest standard?

    so you are railing on me because I'm calling the current Irak situation a civil war...? And since I'm calling it such, I'm only focusing on body counts..?

    so according to you, the deaths of our soliders and iraqis should be ignored and we should focus the happy fun things going on...? ummm...Zero is the highest standard...Zero being nobody dies...

    remind me again why we are in Irak...the war on terror, right...? which is based on killing those before they kill us...right..? therefore, isn't the war on terror based on Zero...Zero American deaths, right...so they don't come and kill us here on our soil...right...?

    are we to ignore the death and disabled and only focus on buisness and schools...or should we do both...because if people are too afraid to leave home to frequent these business and homes...it won't matter...

    if a person is blown up by a car bomb because they are a sunni or shot in the head because they are a sheite does it matter that a new bagel joint opened up on the corner...

    I'm sorry you don't like the focus on reality...I guess focusing on lolliepops and butterflies makes things a bit easier for those who support this occupation...but sometimes...just sometimes...reality needs addressed...
  • inmytree wrote:
    so you are railing on me because I'm calling the current Irak situation a civil war...? And since I'm calling it such, I'm only focusing on body counts..?

    No..I'm "railing" on you because you said the situation will not be solved until "the death and destruction" are over, yet your solutions seem to revolve around the people doing the killing and destroying.
    so according to you, the deaths of our soliders and iraqis should be ignored and we should focus the happy fun things going on...?

    Yes, or more aptly, the potential "happy fun things"
    ummm...Zero is the highest standard...Zero being nobody dies...

    If zero is your highest standard, you'll get what you ask for. Nothing.
    remind me again why we are in Irak...the war on terror, right...?

    Supposedly, ok.
    which is based on killing those before they kill us...right..?

    Yes.
    therefore, isn't the war on terror based on Zero...Zero American deaths, right...so they don't come and kill us here on our soil...right...?

    Absolutley!!!! So why resort to their standards?
    are we to ignore the death and disabled and only focus on buisness and schools...or should we do both...because if people are too afraid to leave home to frequent these business and homes...it won't matter...

    But you can't do both. Otherwise you simply contradict yourself.
    if a person is blown up by a car bomb because they are a sunni or shot in the head because they are a sheite does it matter that a new bagel joint opened up on the corner...

    Perhaps it gives someone a reason to do something other than shoot people based on their religious tendencies.
    I'm sorry you don't like the focus on reality...I guess focusing on lolliepops and butterflies makes things a bit easier for those who support this occupation...but sometimes...just sometimes...reality needs addressed...

    Who supports this occupation?
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    NCfan wrote:
    LOL, ha ha ha. When left to govern themselves?!?!?! Do you even live on the planet Earth? Ever heard of Mogadishu, Beriut? It's the people who have military power are the ones who call the shots like they see.

    In a land like Iraq, there will be no such thing as the majority will rule unless America establishes a democracy there.

    Give me a break!


    You're assuming the majority rules in America.

    And that America actuallly brings representative democracies to countries it invades and destroys-still haven't seen a precedent for that one though...not sure why this would be any different.
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 12,158
    what could possibly be going on in baghdad for them to declare a state of emergency?? :confused:
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    No..I'm "railing" on you because you said the situation will not be solved until "the death and destruction" are over, yet your solutions seem to revolve around the people doing the killing and destroying.

    you seem
    Yes, or more aptly, the potential "happy fun things"

    to
    If zero is your highest standard, you'll get what you ask for. Nothing.

    ignore
    Supposedly, ok.

    the entire
    Yes.

    point
    Absolutley!!!! So why resort to their standards?

    of posts
    But you can't do both. Otherwise you simply contradict yourself.

    by breaking
    Perhaps it gives someone a reason to do something other than shoot people based on their religious tendencies.

    every sentence down as
    Who supports this occupation?

    as single point which makes it impossible to make a point...
  • inmytree wrote:
    you seem



    to



    ignore



    the entire



    point



    of posts



    by breaking



    every sentence down as



    as single point which makes it impossible to make a point...

    So in other words your sentences have no relation to your point?
  • IndianSummerIndianSummer Posts: 854
    it should have been declared the day bus became presi-dent.
    I have faced it, A life wasted...

    Take my hand, my child of love
    Come step inside my tears
    Swim the magic ocean,
    I've been crying all these years
  • inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    So

    in what context...?
    in

    out..
    other

    other what, you're not making sense here...
    words

    when several groups of words are put together they make a point however if someone wants to ingore the overall point and break down each word, phrase, sentence it tends to take the orginal point our to context but it seems it's easier for some to break down things sentence for sentence perhaps due to not being able to understand a large point and too many words are confusing...
    your

    yes, mine..
    sentences

    see above...
    have

    you are losing me here, do you have a link to back this up...
    no

    I guess we have to agree to disagree...
    relation

    do you mean "kin"....?
    to your point?

    I wonder if you can understand my point...?
  • inmytree wrote:
    I wonder if you can understand my point...?

    Certainly. You may now want to ask yourself why your sentences do not convey your overall point.
Sign In or Register to comment.