Options

Protesting Tibetan Monks Brutaly Clubbed By Cops - In NEW YORK, USA [VIDEO]

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited March 2008 in A Moving Train
I swear to god.
Here is a link with video ...

... i don't know whats wrong with me these days, but somewhere around the 5minute30 mark i just lost it and got tears in my eyes.

This is almost a minute past the part where you hear a woman crying and shrieking violently in response to the attacking NYPD ...

... i think what got me was when the camera zoomed in and freeze framed on the faces enough so that one could clearly discern that these men were indeed Tibetan Buddhists ... at which point it just hit me ... these are the same brave souls who are violently oppressed in their own country ... they are executed in cold fashion, or sent to secret prisons to be tortured and starved for life ... and they come here to exercise free speech in protest of this violent tyranny at home ... they come here ... to New York City ... what some would call the true capital of the free world ... to the United Nations building itself ... to speak their opposition to such cruelty ...

...and how are they met?
With metal clubs to the back and legs, and kicks to the chest. Faces shoved to the pavement, and handcuffed.

What were the charges?
So far as i know, protesting with out a permit.
:(

Can i get a response or two?
This seriously fucked up my day.
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    here's what gets me:
    blatant civil disobedience, and gentle cops

These monks are CLEARLY blocking traffic and engaged in civil disobedience, and yet the NYPD in this instance is perfectly rationed, and removes them with apparent grace and calm.

Yet you put 10 of them walking together on a sidewalk,
    suddenly they need to be beaten with billy clubs and tackled to the ground?

I just don't get it.
  • Options
    flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    I swear to god.

... i don't know whats wrong with me these days, but somewhere around the 5minute30 mark i just lost it and got tears in my eyes.

This is almost a minute past the part where you hear a woman crying and shrieking violently in response to the attacking NYPD ...

... i think what got me was when the camera zoomed in and freeze framed on the faces enough so that one could clearly discern that these men were indeed Tibetan Buddhists ... at which point it just hit me ... these are the same brave souls who are violently oppressed in their own country ... they are executed in cold fashion, or sent to secret prisons to be tortured and starved for life ... and they come here to exercise free speech in protest of this violent tyranny at home ... they come here ... to New York City ... what some would call the true capital of the free world ... to the United Nations building itself ... to speak their opposition to such cruelty ...

...and how are they met?
    With metal clubs to the back and legs, and kicks to the chest. Faces shoved to the pavement, and handcuffed.

What were the charges?

I saw this two days ago and had the same reaction. I would have gone to jail that day if I would have seen this happening. The "odd" thing is it hasnt shown up on mainstream media outlets. Unbelieveable.
  • Options
    prljmngrlprljmngrl Posts: 320
    OK, I watched the whole video. It seems to me that something is missing. The beginning of the video doesn't specify what this group did to attract the police attention in the first place. It does show them running into the traffic, creating a dangerous situation. It also shows the group defying police orders. These two facts point to an initial tension that we did not see bprior to filming.

Also, these are NOT actual monks. These are supporters. Monks would be in traditional garb and would NOT do anything to cause attention to themselves. Not to mention that they would not defy authority, shout at others or run into traffic.

It's important to have all facts rather than just sensationalized hype before drawing conclusions.

Obviously the amount of police action for this protest was uncalled for. But these are NOT monks and the protest was not entirely peaceful.
  • Options
    prljmngrl wrote:
    OK, I watched the whole video. It seems to me that something is missing. The beginning of the video doesn't specify what this group did to attract the police attention in the first place. It does show them running into the traffic, creating a dangerous situation. It also shows the group defying police orders. These two facts point to an initial tension that we did not see bprior to filming.

Also, these are NOT actual monks. These are supporters. Monks would be in traditional garb and would NOT do anything to cause attention to themselves. Not to mention that they would not defy authority, shout at others or run into traffic.

It's important to have all facts rather than just sensationalized hype before drawing conclusions.

Obviously the amount of police action for this protest was uncalled for. But these are NOT monks and the protest was not entirely peaceful.
    Well, i agree about the "monks" part,
    honestly i didn't even realize i typed that.
    You said, "they are NOT monks" and i was actualy sitting here thinking, "when did i ever say they were monks?" ... lol ... need to edit the title. :D

I do believe they are Tibetan Buddhists, however. Monks or not -- okay, not.

As to the undocumented "prexisting tension", i dunno. Like you said, we don't see it if it exists. I do see one of them pushing on an officer, but the officer was pushing on him ... and obviously that doesn't give you the right to attack an officer of the law, but who is to say what started the conflict.

You do see cops running out in to the street to try and stop them from crossing, which to me makes no sense. And then you have the cars pulling up on the sidewalk, which is nearly inexplicable.

Anyhow.

???

PS - Monks WOULD "defy authority" though. Check out my second post. Blatant civil disobedience. I think you mean they will stand up and allow themselves to be arrested without violent protest in response, to which i agree. As to the "draw attention to themselves", well ... setting yourself on fire sure does draw attention, imho. :D

AND you hit the nail on the head. I don't think i need to sensationalize anything (though obviously the cameraman sure seems to be a bit over the top, but honestly c'mon) ... because you said it yourself, "the amount of police action for this protest was uncalled for." ... period.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Right. The title of this thread is completely misleading and doen't match the title of the linked video.

BUT, the cops were the ones who apparently escalated this action based on the video. There was no running around in the streets until after the cops drove their cars and vans up on the sidewalks blocking their passage. At that point they still weren't running in the streets until the dipshit cops started hitting people. Then chaos ensued. Pretty disgusting. At least it wasn't Red China where they'd pull out the tanks and get Tienanmen on them, but it was totally uncalled for and I hope those asshole cops who instigated it get fired.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr wrote:
    Right. The title of this thread is completely misleading and doen't match the title of the linked video.

i completely edited the title.
    i was emotional when i made this thread, sorry.
    wasn't thinking clearly, just typing blindly.
    obviously they are not monks.
    SORRY.

The rest of what you wrote, i agree with 100%.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

pretty fucking sad....:(
  • Options
    ClariceClarice Posts: 256
    I swear to god.

...and how are they met?

What were the charges?

I understand what you are saying and agree. And i think we cant find just one or two responsible, has a responsible mentality. Unhappyly. Worst is that if this happens in New York, the capital of the free world, is saddest to imagine what is happening in Lhasa.

Great thread.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    i bet most of those cops don't know any of the bill of rights .....that is fucking sad that not one metion of it on any news outlets here in NY ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    prljmngrl wrote:

http://www.withfriendship.com/user/images/750/budist_monk_on_fire.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thich_Quang_Duc
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Worst is that if this happens in New York, the capital of the free world

any country where you need a 'permit' to protest cant be the self elected leader of the free world. :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    ClariceClarice Posts: 256
    dunkman wrote:
    any country where you need a 'permit' to protest cant be the self elected leader of the free world. :)

Ok, tks for clarifying this to me.
  • Options
    This is so fucked up
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    i bet most of those cops don't know any of the bill of rights .....that is fucking sad that not one metion of it on any news outlets here in NY ...
    I'm sure that can be said for most cops anywhere. There are definitely exceptions but for the most part, IMHO, cops are nothing but cunts that got teased in grade school and are happy with sitting on their fat asses all day for a shitty wage.

This video made me sick. Especially when that fucking pig said, "Turn it off so I can talk to you for a second." I think leaving the camera on is probably the only thing that saved the cameraman from getting clubbed himself.
  • Options
    prljmngrlprljmngrl Posts: 320
    I'm sure that can be said for most cops anywhere. There are definitely exceptions but for the most part, IMHO, cops are nothing but cunts that got teased in grade school and are happy with sitting on their fat asses all day for a shitty wage.
    Wow, I wonder if you feel the same way when those same "cunts" who "sit on their fat asses all day" answer your high pitched panic voiced 911 call some day. I for one am glad that some people have a calling to be authority figures and risk their lives to protect the general public that doesn't appreciate them.

Your generalization is misplaced.
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412

Of course not. But if Britney Spears shaves her choochie next week, the media will be all over it with pictures, film and with detailed diagrams of the different possible methods Britney may have used to shave her choochie.

Wake up people, America is already waist deep into facism and it's only going to get worse if we don't stand up and fight against it.
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    America is already waist deep into facism

Naomi Wolf's 10 Step Program
    these are not just her posits for America.
    These are 10 steps she asserts that ALL dictators take on their quest towards fascisms, with history backing her.

:cool:

bonus: the highly literate, and well reasoned Naomi Wolf
  • Options
    I saw this on TV at the gym this morning on the treadmill. Quite simply, it fucked up my run. I had to get pretty angry in order to recover and continue on.

There was demonstrating downtown yesterday.

B@stards!!
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    why can't more or shall i say ALL cops be like this

http://www.maniacworld.com/enjoy-your-time-protesting.html
  • Options
    69charger69charger Posts: 1,045
    dunkman wrote:

Why not? You support the strict enforcement of a permit system to exercise our 2nd Amendment Rights, why not our 1st Amendment Rights too?
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    That's so fucked up!

About two or three weeks ago there was a peaceful protest here (Belgium) against a far right group. Four of my friends live in the street where this took place. It was peaceful. But then the police started beating protesters, arresting them... for no reason. One of my friends went outside to take pictures and to record the police brutality. He was hit twice and stomped, taken in and was released two hours later. The press claimed the protesters attacked the police.

Naomi Wolf
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    69charger wrote:
    Why not? You support the strict enforcement of a permit system to exercise our 2nd Amendment Rights, why not our 1st Amendment Rights too?

Words don't kill?
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    Words don't kill?

Neither do guns.
  • Options
    Neither do guns.

Almost there, Drifting... I think you can figure out the difference if you think long and hard enough. Just use your brain. You can do it!
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    Almost there, Drifting... I think you can figure out the difference if you think long and hard enough. Just use your brain. You can do it!

Explain.
  • Options
    69charger wrote:
    Explain.

You want me to explain to you the difference between words and guns?
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Collin wrote:

Collin, meet brick wall.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    Collin wrote:

I want you to explain how words are any less dangerous than guns. You got this figured out already so let's hear it.
  • Options
    brandon10brandon10 Posts: 1,114
    69charger wrote:
    I want you to explain how words are any less dangerous than guns. You got this figured out already so let's hear it.
    If I tell you to go fuck yourself, you go fuck yourself.

If I shoot you, you die.

Pretty clear really
  • Options
    brandon10 wrote:
    If I tell you to go fuck yourself, you go fuck yourself.

If I shoot you, you die.

Pretty clear really

If YOU shoot him,
    or if a GUN shoots him?

;)