Options

Honestly, how lucky is Pearl Jam to have had 3 great drummers.

nowayimfaithfullnowayimfaithfull Posts: 2,051
edited April 2008 in The Porch
Most bands cant fill 1 spot when a guy quits, dies, or gets kicked out.
Shit they went from Dave A. who was good enough in the studio and live, to Jack who elevated their studio work to a super high level, to Matt who elevated their touring to ultra.
Most bands do not get this lucky!
We never discuss this, its always who is better and who sucks, when in reality they all were great.
Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    WEAPONX24WEAPONX24 Posts: 131
    I think their work with Dave A. was by far the best...jack and matt are alright, but the intensity seemed to be a lot higher with Dave A.
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Technically it went Matt-Dave K-Dave A-Jack-Matt again :p:D
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    WEAPONX24 wrote:
    I think their work with Dave A. was by far the best...jack and matt are alright, but the intensity seemed to be a lot hight with Dave A.
    Dave Abbruzzese wasn't the reason for their early success!!! Grunge was!

Jack and Matt brought out the best of the band into new dimensions.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    gobrowns19 wrote:

Actually the first Matt was Matt Chamberlain not Matt Cameron.
  • Options
    gobrowns19 wrote:
    Dave K, Matt Chamberlain, Dave A, Jack, Matt Cam
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    Dave A is so great he disappeared, I think PJ has been just fine without him, and were plenty intense before and after him. Jack and Matt, especially Matt, who brought the whole thing full circle, are special.
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    SpeakersSpeakers Posts: 252
    Dave A is so great he disappeared, I think PJ has been just fine without him, and were plenty intense before and after him. Jack and Matt, especially Matt, who brought the whole thing full circle, are special.

If you weren't lucky enough to see Dave A., listen to a few bootlegs from the time. You'll understand what people are talking about and the kind of energy he brought.
  • Options
    Oz JammerOz Jammer Posts: 9,858
    joebot wrote:

Matt Cameron was the first because he was the drummer on Stone's original demo tape
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,563
    Pearl Jam has been lucky with the drummer spot yes!

Dave A was the shit though! He was also a very likable guy, he was just unlucky to be in the wrong band.

I remember reading about when ten went gold. Jeff had mentioned it during a dinner out and everyone was just 'oh wow, thats cool' and nothing more. Just a 'oh by the way' that came and went. Dave was so excited about that news that he had to leave the table, call up his drum technician and they would go up to their hotel room to celebrate by jumping up and down on the hotel bed for hours. That was the kind of person he was.. Alot of fans were devastated when Dave got fired. Kelly Curtis called it a mutual separation though, but Dave told the media he got fired.

Sorry to bring up Dave again, but I feel he is being unfairly treated by some people here.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Word
  • Options
    WEAPONX24WEAPONX24 Posts: 131
    Niko80 wrote:

Dave A was the shit though! He was also a very likable guy, he was just unlucky to be in the wrong band.

I remember reading about when ten went gold. Jeff had mentioned it during a dinner out and everyone was just 'oh wow, thats cool' and nothing more. Just a 'oh by the way' that came and went. Dave was so excited about that news that he had to leave the table, call up his drum technician and they would go up to their hotel room to celebrate by jumping up and down on the hotel bed for hours. That was the kind of person he was.. Alot of fans were devastated when Dave got fired. Kelly Curtis called it a mutual separation though, but Dave told the media he got fired.

Sorry to bring up Dave again, but I feel he is being unfairly treated by some people here.

i agree 110%!!! Dave A. was the man!!!
  • Options
    Niko80 wrote:

Good post, based on some of the readings on him, he seems like a drummer who would be in bands like Foo Fighters, U2, Queens OTSA, bands that aren't so intense.

Might even worked as a drummer for Pearl Jam(06-present) since they seem to have become more at ease.
  • Options
    Stone IronsStone Irons Posts: 430
    Oz Jammer wrote:
    Matt Cameron was the first because he was the drummer on Stone's original demo tape

Chris Friel from Shadow (Mike McCready's old band) drummed on that tape as well.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,563
    LongRd. wrote:
    Good post, based on some of the readings on him, he seems like a drummer who would be in bands like Foo Fighters, U2, Queens OTSA, bands that aren't so intense.

Might even worked as a drummer for Pearl Jam(06-present) since they seem to have become more at ease.

Yeah, I agree. Pearl Jam was way too serious for him. Funny you mentioned foo fighters cause Dave got fired right around the time Dave Grohl was making the foo lineup. Maybe Dave A was in the consideration? He was one of the hottest drummers at that point and must have gotten a shitload of offers.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    Hey! Let's not forget about Jimmy Shoaf now. :cool:

"already, in love..."
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • Options
    2 out of 3 ain't bad, but im not naming names :)
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,514
    did chamberlain really leave to play in the saturday night live band? And whatever happened to Krusen?
  • Options
    WEAPONX24 wrote:
    I think their work with Dave A. was by far the best...jack and matt are alright, but the intensity seemed to be a lot higher with Dave A.

Wow I jhave to lay off the beer, I am cruising thru the page and forgot I put this up, I was like this post is good I was thinking the same thing and realized I put it up.

Now Yes the band was more angry when Dave was in the band, more creative with Jack, and tours more funtionly with Matt.

no more shows
  • Options
    gobrowns19 wrote:

the other 2 didnt contribute enough, with matt working on the demos, it was almost fill in for the first dave.

no more shows
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    Dave Abbruzzese wasn't the reason for their early success!!! Grunge was!

Jack and Matt brought out the best of the band into new dimensions.

Yes but Dave did alot of shows and his work on vs is great, and the band was made over his time in the band, he was a gear in works.

no more shows
  • Options
    joebot wrote:

Wrong matt cam did the demos with them.

no more shows
  • Options
    Niko80 wrote:
    Yeah, I agree. Pearl Jam was way too serious for him. Funny you mentioned foo fighters cause Dave got fired right around the time Dave Grohl was making the foo lineup. Maybe Dave A was in the consideration? He was one of the hottest drummers at that point and must have gotten a shitload of offers.

There are also stories floating around that grohl was going to drum in pj.

no more shows
  • Options
    did chamberlain really leave to play in the saturday night live band? And whatever happened to Krusen?

krusen was with candlebox, chamberlin did leave, and i was told on here he drums for tori amos

The key fact here is Dave A. has his place, he did a great job for them, if they stuck with krusen or got some shitty drummer it may have affected vs, that is to this day prob one of the strongest albums ever released for a rock band with out being metal or punk. They fused togehter great sound on that album and dave was a part of that.
    Jack there would be no pj without him, and they may have broke up,
    Aned never have had the rebirth with their music
    nor the rebirth with touring without matt.
    without matt we would not be going to shows and looking foward to tours like we do every yeear, and the band would prob not play as long or as tight, they would have had to get lucky for this to happen without him.

no more shows
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    Most bands cant fill 1 spot when a guy quits, dies, or gets kicked out.
    Shit they went from Dave A. who was good enough in the studio and live, to Jack who elevated their studio work to a super high level, to Matt who elevated their touring to ultra.
    Most bands do not get this lucky!
    We never discuss this, its always who is better and who sucks, when in reality they all were great.

very lucky!
    danny d
  • Options
    PrePre Posts: 17
    Yeah, they're pretty lucky, even though I'm not really a fan of Dave A.'s style (it always seemed to me like he hit his cymbals more than his drums). Jack was really amazing in the studio and Matt is just awesome all-around.
  • Options
    given2fly10given2fly10 Posts: 485
    i love what all 3 bought to this band. each one of them made there own mark. how many bands can have 3 good drummers. weather you like dave, or jack or matt. you should respect them all cause there part of a great american rock n rollband .

mighty jack fucking irons is my fav drummer
    And he still gives his love, he just gives it away, The love he receives is the love that is saved, And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky, A human being that was given to fly

no bed=no brian

coke sucks
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,514
    i love what all 3 bought to this band. each one of them made there own mark. how many bands can have 3 good drummers. weather you like dave, or jack or matt. you should respect them all cause there part of a great american rock n rollband .

mighty jack fucking irons is my fav drummer

It's like when a baseball team has 3 very good catchers. Very fortunate.
  • Options
    aratarat Posts: 7
    pj are indeed very lucky to have had 3 great drummers. i loved dave a. but my theory on the love affair w/ dave a. is that fact that when the majority of us discovered and fell in love w/ pj, he was the drummer. i feel like his playing style helped define their sound as much as the loose groove riffs stone was overflowing w/. he took what dave k. had done and took it to the next level. and then when ed started to take over writing a majority of the songs, the drumming style needed to change. jack and matt are incredible and they best complement ed's writing style. each is great in their own respect. but that's just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    It's like when a baseball team has 3 very good catchers. Very fortunate.

exactly

no more shows
  • Options
    arat wrote:
    pj are indeed very lucky to have had 3 great drummers. i loved dave a. but my theory on the love affair w/ dave a. is that fact that when the majority of us discovered and fell in love w/ pj, he was the drummer. i feel like his playing style helped define their sound as much as the loose groove riffs stone was overflowing w/. he took what dave k. had done and took it to the next level. and then when ed started to take over writing a majority of the songs, the drumming style needed to change. jack and matt are incredible and they best complement ed's writing style. each is great in their own respect. but that's just my 2 cents.

very true, but krusen really didnt right any of the songs with them, some, but matt helped them in the beggining, and the sty changed for the better instantly when dave a joined, krusens drums were over produced a lil, he seemed like a sit in drummer on that album, his work on evenflow was basically coppying camerons cymbol trapping, pretty much throughout, but he did have a sleight differance I honestly think for the worse.
    That is why they were lucky to get dave a. at that point.

no more shows