Options

I've been underappreciating the 2000 Tour

MKTerpMKTerp Posts: 66
edited May 2008 in The Porch
I'm talking U.S. Tour. The main reason being that the guys basically just stood still on stage in 2000, and then found renewed energy in 2003, and especially in 2005. I was pumped up when they started bouncing around the stage again, and I basically "wrote off" the 2000 tour as the weakest tour, and didn't listen to the boots anymore. Also, I saw them at pretty tame venues - Jones Beach and Merriweather Pavillion in MD. Good shows, but near the bottom of my personal list.

However, after once again listening to some 2000 boots, I've realized the following:

1) Binaural was a really good album. I think it's one that takes some time to fully appreciate. Grievance, Insignificance, Of the Girl, Sleight of Hand, and Parting Ways are GREAT songs. There were some weak ones, however, which hurt it's overall perception among the masses.

2) Ed's voice may have been at it's peak in 2000. He definitely started SINGING more during that album and tour, while still being able to reach down for the deep screams when he needed to. He still has a great singing voice, but let's face it, he's lost the powerful, deep growl.

3) The emotions of the band at that time. Sure, they didn't jump around onstage, but that was because of the tragedy in Denmark. I get goosebumps when I listen to Daughter tags like "It's OK" and "Hey, Hey, it's OK".

Definitely an interesting time for the band. They were kind of at a crossroads in their career, they got through it, and are now in a great place as a band.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    2000 tour <3...

Those euro boots... damn those are so great.

My only 2000 show, Saratoga 2000, what a great show that turned out to be... check it out if you can.
  • Options
    journeymanjourneyman Posts: 135
    I was at Lisbon 2000. One of my fondest memories was that day.
    Despite being the first show on the tour, I thought it was good.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    journeyman wrote:
    I was at Lisbon 2000. One of my fondest memories was that day.
    Despite being the first show on the tour, I thought it was good.

Great boot! That is the first one I bought and I still listen to it all the time. Fantastic extended version of Alive.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    2000 tour <3...

Those euro boots... damn those are so great.

My only 2000 show, Saratoga 2000, what a great show that turned out to be... check it out if you can.

i have the saratoga dvd .. one of my favorites from '00. sleight of hand sounded so powerful during the chorus then.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Just watched Touring Band the other day. It really helped bring back how great the 2000 tour was. That and Tremor Christ and Breath at Camden 1. Checking boots of just the three shows I went to...Pilate, Rival, Tremor Christ , Habit, Breath to same a few. WHOA!!
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    MKTerp wrote:
    I'm talking U.S. Tour. The main reason being that the guys basically just stood still on stage in 2000, and then found renewed energy in 2003, and especially in 2005. I was pumped up when they started bouncing around the stage again, and I basically "wrote off" the 2000 tour as the weakest tour, and didn't listen to the boots anymore. Also, I saw them at pretty tame venues - Jones Beach and Merriweather Pavillion in MD. Good shows, but near the bottom of my personal list.

However, after once again listening to some 2000 boots, I've realized the following:

1) Binaural was a really good album. I think it's one that takes some time to fully appreciate. Grievance, Insignificance, Of the Girl, Sleight of Hand, and Parting Ways are GREAT songs. There were some weak ones, however, which hurt it's overall perception among the masses.

2) Ed's voice may have been at it's peak in 2000. He definitely started SINGING more during that album and tour, while still being able to reach down for the deep screams when he needed to. He still has a great singing voice, but let's face it, he's lost the powerful, deep growl.

3) The emotions of the band at that time. Sure, they didn't jump around onstage, but that was because of the tragedy in Denmark. I get goosebumps when I listen to Daughter tags like "It's OK" and "Hey, Hey, it's OK".

Definitely an interesting time for the band. They were kind of at a crossroads in their career, they got through it, and are now in a great place as a band.

by far the best tour i have taken part in...

Sleight of Hand from Katowice...

oh yea.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,571
    2000 tour is some serious shit! The band was tight as hell.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    the Ljubljana, SLovenia boot is Brilliant.

also really like the Tampa, Cardiff, and Seattle II boots
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    I think they were tight in concert because it was one place where they were working through some tough things.

Playing music together probably helped some of the healing to occur.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Army & NavyArmy & Navy Posts: 120
    brainofPJ wrote:
    by far the best tour i have taken part in...

Sleight of Hand from Katowice...

oh yea.

Agree 110% - Amazing version. Never heard a better one. Ed in fine voice, Mike's noodling away nicely, and really mellow vibe
  • Options
    FatalFatal Posts: 821
    Of all the shows i've seen, the 2000 show was probably the weakest...but i think that had more to do with the particular show i attended than the actual tour itself.
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    rhinomagic wrote:
    I think they were tight in concert because it was one place where they were working through some tough things.

Playing music together probably helped some of the healing to occur.

Roskild (sp?) tragedy aside, what else were they going through?

I love the setlists from that tour. Very YIELD heavy, and no riot act diluting it. All the albums to that point were excellent.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    HailRoad24HailRoad24 Posts: 133
    Tremendous tour by the band. Just very straightforward and intense and Ed sounded SO GOOD. 10x better than the 2006 tour.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    Agree 110% - Amazing version. Never heard a better one. Ed in fine voice, Mike's noodling away nicely, and really mellow vibe

it's the version that got me into the song, making it one of ny favorites....ever..

nice and slow...now if they play it at all, it seems to be all sped up.

• Options
    fanch75 wrote:

I love the setlists from that tour. Very YIELD heavy, and no riot act diluting it. All the albums to that point were excellent.

wow...somewhat of a positive post from you...

• Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    brainofPJ wrote:
    wow...somewhat of a positive post from you...

Are you kidding me? I love everything they have done except for riot act.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    piombapiomba Posts: 103
    8/29/00. Boston. My first PJ show. Unforgettable.
  • Options
    lostdogs77lostdogs77 Posts: 93
    MKTerp wrote:

You sure took a hell of a long time to realize it. In 2010 you will realize rap rock sucks. Did you hear Y2K was a hoax?
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,499
    fanch75 wrote:

Ed was going through a divorce.
  • Options
    MKTerpMKTerp Posts: 66
    Crazy Mark wrote:
    You sure took a hell of a long time to realize it. In 2010 you will realize rap rock sucks. Did you hear Y2K was a hoax?

Well, I think it's interesting to see how music holds up over time. Listening to old boots now, here's my general take:

'92 - '95 - Awesome energy, but the band was sloppy at times, and Eddie was more of a screamer live.

'96 -'98 - 98 tour had awesome setlists and good energy, but Ed's voice was a bit nasally, and he was trying to make that transition from screamer to singer. Sometimes it was awkward - hard to explain, but he would be singing a song like Hail, Hail, and then throw in an old school scream here and there.

2000 - original post - Ed's voice at it's peak

2003 - 2007 - The band is most comfortable with themselves, accepting their fans and status as rock legends. Ed's voice is gradually evolving to the point where his strength lies in songs like Hard Sun, not screamers like Comatose. I think the 2005 mini tour may be my favorite - they had kind of a rebirth while recording Avocado.
  • Options
    lostdogs77lostdogs77 Posts: 93
    MKTerp wrote:
    Well, I think it's interesting to see how music holds up over time. Listening to old boots now, here's my general take:

'92 - '95 - Awesome energy, but the band was sloppy at times, and Eddie was more of a screamer live.

'96 -'98 - 98 tour had awesome setlists and good energy, but Ed's voice was a bit nasally, and he was trying to make that transition from screamer to singer. Sometimes it was awkward - hard to explain, but he would be singing a song like Hail, Hail, and then throw in an old school scream here and there.

2000 - original post - Ed's voice at it's peak

2003 - 2007 - The band is most comfortable with themselves, accepting their fans and status as rock legends. Ed's voice is gradually evolving to the point where his strength lies in songs like Hard Sun, not screamers like Comatose. I think the 2005 mini tour may be my favorite - they had kind of a rebirth while recording Avocado.

That sounds completely factual to me but most people on this board would probably disagree.