Options

time to stop the racism

darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
has anyone noticed recently politicians slipping into racism without so much as an admonshiment from their audience? one guy calling an indian guy a "mecaca" (apparently part of the word dervives from the name of a monkey), another guy refered to a "tar baby", another about "the short gutamalan guy"........ seriousloy guys... pull your reprentatives up on this and demand they get expelled from their parties.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    And this recent gem from Andrew Young in regards to mom and pop stores:
    "Well I think they should (be run out of business by Wal-Mart); they ran the mom and pop stores out of my neighborhood. But you see, these are the people (small stores) who have been overcharging us, selling us stale bread and bad meat and wilted vegetables. And they sold us out and moved to Florida. I think that they have ripped off our communities enough. First, it was the Jews, then, it was the Koreans and now it's the Arabs; very few black people own these stores."

Young headed an outside support called "Working Families for Wal-Mart," whose goal was to help the monster chain improve its public image.

BTW, "tar baby" used in its orginal form is not a slur. It represents a situation...a no-win situation. Find a copy of the original stories.....read them.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    darkcrow wrote:
    has anyone noticed recently politicians slipping into racism without so much as an admonshiment from their audience? one guy calling an indian guy a "mecaca" (apparently part of the word dervives from the name of a monkey), another guy refered to a "tar baby", another about "the short gutamalan guy"........ seriousloy guys... pull your reprentatives up on this and demand they get expelled from their parties.

Ironically, Tory-boy Derek Laud is one of the prime offenders:

http://www.ligali.org/rioarticle.php?id=55
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    darkcrow wrote:

I saw that on the Daily Show. Did you see the one with the guy from Virginia with the swimming comment? Can't remember the name.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    I saw that on the Daily Show. Did you see the one with the guy from Virginia with the swimming comment? Can't remember the name.

He was from Alabama.
  • Options
    zstillings wrote:
    He was from Alabama.
    Who...............and what was said...........it's almost ringing a bell with me.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    Don't forget the guy running against Katherine Harris in the primary that made the sweeping "The Blacks aren't very good swimmers" generalization...
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    tybird wrote:
    Who...............and what was said...........it's almost ringing a bell with me.

It was something about a mission, and he had to cross a river. Most of the soliders were black, and according to him, Black people can't swim very well. **paraphrased**
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    It was something about a mission, and he had to cross a river. Most of the soliders were black, and according to him, Black people can't swim very well. **paraphrased**
    nope........still not ringing a bell.........considering that I live in Alabama, one would think that I would have heard about this.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    "Well I think they should (be run out of business by Wal-Mart); they ran the mom and pop stores out of my neighborhood. But you see, these are the people (small stores) who have been overcharging us, selling us stale bread and bad meat and wilted vegetables. And they sold us out and moved to Florida. I think that they have ripped off our communities enough. First, it was the Jews, then, it was the Koreans and now it's the Arabs; very few black people own these stores."

Young headed an outside support called "Working Families for Wal-Mart," whose goal was to help the monster chain improve its public image.

This really upset me because while, yes, Walmart does sell everything for less, they sell a crap product themselves. Everything in that store is cheaply made. You get a quality PRODUCT from mom and pop stores, but more importantly you get good SERVICE.

Service - remember that? Think about this guy's comments next time you're in Best Buy and they have 100 teenagers trying to sell you anything, but just one working the registers. Ugh.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • Options
    This really upset me because while, yes, Walmart does sell everything for less, they sell a crap product themselves. Everything in that store is cheaply made. You get a quality PRODUCT from mom and pop stores, but more importantly you get good SERVICE.

Service - remember that? Think about this guy's comments next time you're in Best Buy and they have 100 teenagers trying to sell you anything, but just one working the registers. Ugh.
    I remember service................it's that thing that you don't get at Wal-mart. I laugh at your Best Buy comment because, frankly, it's true. :)

Myself............I avoid Wal-mart as best I can.
  • Options
    NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    tybird wrote:
    nope........still not ringing a bell.........considering that I live in Alabama, one would think that I would have heard about this.

See my comment above - it was the guy from Florida running against KAtherine Harris...
  • Options
    NakedClown wrote:
    See my comment above - it was the guy from Florida running against KAtherine Harris...
    Thanks........I read the paper every morning, so if one of our dumbass politicians in Alabama got caught saying something that stupid I would have heard about it.
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    tybird wrote:

BTW, "tar baby" used in its orginal form is not a slur. It represents a situation...a no-win situation. Find a copy of the original stories.....read them.

Yea, I know a bunch of those arabs. They sleep on floors in rooms with 3 or 4 other people. They come to our countries and live in conditions normal to them, which allows them to prosper in our booming economies. Those of us fortunate enough to be born here expect better for ourselves and aren't willing to live in those conditions to reach success. It's our fault, not theirs.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Yea, I know a bunch of those arabs. They sleep on floors in rooms with 3 or 4 other people. They come to our countries and live in conditions normal to them, which allows them to prosper in our booming economies. Those of us fortunate enough to be born here expect better for ourselves and aren't willing to live in those conditions to reach success. It's our fault, not theirs.
    Just the messengar, friend........it was Andrew knockn' them, not me.
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    tybird wrote:
    Just the messengar, friend........it was Andrew knockn' them, not me.

I know, I wasn't pointing the finger at you, I was just commenting on that post.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,672
    It'll be interesting to see how many votes they get,
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I know, I wasn't pointing the finger at you, I was just commenting on that post.
    no blood, no foul.........it's all cool here.