280 million fine for microsoft

darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5171126.stm

i wonder how much of that 280 million euros will go to french farmers?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    darkcrow wrote:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5171126.stm

i wonder how much of that 280 million euros will go to french farmers?

276 goes to court costs. :D

2 million goes to cigarettes.

2 more million goes to advertise the plight of said French Farmers and Cotton Farmers in Africa and how all of the worlds ills are the US's fault.

What an idiotic ruling. Ok, you guys are too good at what you do, share with these people who are to stupid to develop a competitive program to take money away from your company.

I mean really. Fine Microsoft for putting out updates that fuck up all your applications or for distibuting faulty products some of which knowingly contain viruses, or for being smarmy, or just because you don't like the cut of thier jib, don't fine them because the competition sucks...that's hilarious.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Dear Microsoft,

Please pull out of the European market. Show them the world they're asking for.

Love,

-Jeff
  • darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    Dear Microsoft,

Please pull out of the European market. Show them the world they're asking for.

Love,

-Jeff

the eu are right to fine microsoft. microsoft should open up more so that there is suitable competition. the faster they give the source code to companies the better. better working and intergrating software. more competition means more choice which will drive stanards higher and costs down. its capitolism baby lol
  • darkcrow wrote:
    the eu are right to fine microsoft. microsoft should open up more so that there is suitable competition. the faster they give the source code to companies the better. better working and intergrating software. more competition means more choice which will drive stanards higher and costs down. its capitolism baby lol

It might be capitolism, but it is not capitalism.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    darkcrow wrote:

Nah, the free market is what you are looking for, some aspiring company should not desire to take the product and copy it from Microsoft, rather, they should develop a similar product and run it better, smoother, and with less bugs than microsoft to take that marketshare.

Why would you copy microsoft when the market is ripe for a better solution?

This is essentially the EU saying oh, uh, well, you guys are rich, let's redistribute your wealth. That's by far the worst way to do it, because it's impossible for any government to fairly distribute wealth. Someone needs to create a similar program that is better to operate, and then the public will support it and take some of microsofts market, forcing microsoft to build a better product. That's capitalism, that's the free market, that's how it works.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Nah, the free market is what you are looking for, some aspiring company should not desire to take the product and copy it from Microsoft, rather, they should develop a similar product and run it better, smoother, and with less bugs than microsoft to take that marketshare.

Why would you copy microsoft when the market is ripe for a better solution?

This is essentially the EU saying oh, uh, well, you guys are rich, let's redistribute your wealth. That's by far the worst way to do it, because it's impossible for any government to fairly distribute wealth. Someone needs to create a similar program that is better to operate, and then the public will support it and take some of microsofts market, forcing microsoft to build a better product. That's capitalism, that's the free market, that's how it works.
    Agreed. The only fair way to cut into Microsoft's share is to make a better or more desirable product. It's very possible, although the thought is overwhelming and MS is quite intimidating.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    It will be years before MS pays any fine. They'll appeal, and rightly so.

Microsoft should officially pull all of its products and support out of the EU and tell them to fuck off.

And could anyone make any sense out of this:
    darkcrow wrote:

Gibberish. The only people who would support such a thing are people who are too inept to compete on their own merits. It speaks volumes about the EU's confidence in their own constituency.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    how many more times will the usa have to bail out the french?
  • PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    It might be capitolism, but it is not capitalism.

roffle.
    brain of c wrote:
    how many more times will the usa have to bail out the french?

roffle x2
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    I've had M$ updates nuke the kernel on two of my production servers. What a nasty little surprise on the reboot... dead server!

Thanks god for the words: "it's a Micro$oft issue" I'd have lost all my clients by now if it wasn't for that magic little phrase.
  • Just wandering but how many people have used illegal copies of Microsoft products? Nearly everyone i know (for home use) has some sort of illegal software on their computer. Imagine how much more money they would make when they perfect the anti-piracy capabillities of their software. Anyway, i dont think we would be doing half the stuff we do if it wasnt for Microsoft. OK they copied Apple, but Apples are a bitch to use, they dont understand the concept of when in doubt, right click baby!!! :)
  • rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    Just wandering but how many people have used illegal copies of Microsoft products? Nearly everyone i know (for home use) has some sort of illegal software on their computer. Imagine how much more money they would make when they perfect the anti-piracy capabillities of their software. Anyway, i dont think we would be doing half the stuff we do if it wasnt for Microsoft. OK they copied Apple, but Apples are a bitch to use, they dont understand the concept of when in doubt, right click baby!!! :)

Yeah I akin the apple style mouse to a hoof instead of actually having fingers.

The genuine validation process to download their advanced software and server admin tools is sort of getting there. Kinda. One day for sure they'll have it all nailed pretty tight. Look at Win 2003 server and interoperability with older server O/S's...that's getting nasty (and expensive). Pretty much the reason I believe they gave win2k a graphical facelift and called it XP.

Who knows what's really in their updates.

"In M$ we trust"