Options

Obama Recycling Clinton Cabinet Members Has People Second Guessing Him?

pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
edited November 2008 in A Moving Train
Bill Clinton giving up the goods to the Obama team
25 mins ago

Some husbands send flowers. Some buy chocolate. In the Hillary-Bill relationship, he gives up sources of foreign income and names of donors to show his support.

As the Obama transition team vets Hillary Clinton for a possible appointment as Secretary of State, a reported sticking point in the process has been Bill and his charitable foundation. The Clinton Global Initiative, a subset of the William J. Clinton Foundation, has extensive overseas dealings, possible conflicts-of-interest should his wife become secretary of state.

AP is reporting today that Hillary believes "the job is hers if she wants it." And there are multiple reports that the former president is making concessions in the Obama team's vetting requests, including an AP report that Clinton "has agreed to release the names of several major donors to his charitable foundation and will submit future foundation activities and paid speeches to a strict ethics review, said Democrats knowledgeable about the discussions."

The New York Times says, "He would also cede day-to-day responsibility for his foundation so long as his wife, Hillary Rodham Clinton, served."

Politico comes with the most intriguing information of the day -- that an announcement of a formal offer, should it be made, could come as early as next week.

This flurry of new reports comes amidst two pieces of interesting news. The first is that Hillary may not be sold on the job and wants to try her hand at health-care reform again. The other is that in a new Rasmussen report, 33 percent of people polled thought Colin Powell would do the best work at his old job in State (28 percent thought Hillary Clinton would be best). Rasmussen says that "none of the other possible candidates comes even close," including John McCain (17 percent), Al Gore (6 percent), and Richard Lugar (5 percent).

If Hillary Clinton is offered the Cabinet post, she'll be one of many reported Clinton administration retreads working in or with the Obama administration. Eric Holder, a deputy at the Department of Justice during the Clinton administration, was reportedly offered the job of attorney general. Before Rahm Emanuel was a congressman, he was a senior advisor in the Clinton White House. He's now Obama's chief of staff. John Podesta, heading up the Obama transition, is Clinton's former chief of staff.

Obama has said he may be looking to create a "team of rivals." But this stack-up of Clinton veterans in the Obama administration has already caused buzz that this may not be what some people were looking for when they voted for change. Buried in that Rasmussen poll was this nugget: "Despite the support for Clinton to be secretary of state, 70% of voters think Obama should reach out and appoint new people for his Cabinet rather than including more people who served in the Clinton administration."

One big-name non-Clinton now associated with the Obama administration surfaced in news reports today. Tom Daschle, the former Senate Majority Leader, has accepted a cabinet post at Health and Human Services.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Buried in that Rasmussen poll was this nugget: "Despite the support for Clinton to be secretary of state, 70% of voters think Obama should reach out and appoint new people for his Cabinet rather than including more people who served in the Clinton administration."
  • Options
    "Insanity: Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again Expecting a Different Result" Albert Einstein.

I fail to see how the duality in loyalties i.e. Israel/US and how so many of his picks are modern day zionists, Including Biden (self proclaimed) how much of anything in the big picture even allows the framework for a progressive reality. It's just a carryover and for the most part conflict of interest.

Rahm and AIPAC. That's going to be rich.

Israel is at the dead center of US foreign policy, and from what I have seen, few to none Obama supporters have researched that reality from any sort of broad understanding.

It's blindingly obvious actually.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Some positions probably require people that have great know of how Washington works (chief of staff, budget director), so there aren't really a big pool of people out there on the dem side who don't have some sort of connection with Clinton.

With only 4 of the 20 something cabinet-type positions filled, I'm waiting until the cabinet fills out more to pass judgement. But that being said, Obama really has to bring some outside people into his cabinet.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    So much for being an agent of change. I can understand him wanting to have some seasoned veterans in his staff, but it just seems that that is all he is hiring. What happened to bring some fresh faces to Washington or reaching across the aisle to Republicans.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    Here's a non-Clinton pick...

Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano for Homeland Security
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15815.html
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    THE SAME PEOPLE that last month arguing that Barack Obama was too inexperienced to be President are now complaining that he's surrounding himself with qualified people of experience. That's fucking hilarious!!!

At least stay on topic so your arguments can have some base of credibility.
    the Minions
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    So much for being an agent of change. I can understand him wanting to have some seasoned veterans in his staff, but it just seems that that is all he is hiring. What happened to bring some fresh faces to Washington or reaching across the aisle to Republicans.

with the right leader and atmosphere, you do not believe even 'seasoned veterans' can want and desire, work towards, change? seriously? i didn't realize he promised to bring fresh faces to washington, and even as far as reaching across the aisle, does not necessarily mean within his cabinet, but in working relations as a whole, or that's at least my understanding of it.

besides, as someone mentioned above, he still has more to pick, no? so when all is said and done....could be quite interesting, or not......but either way, i am more interested in what they ultimately DO, and not just who he personally chooses to work with within his cabinet. ANYone can be an agent of change if they desire. i do personally believe obama could be one of those people to inspire and direct others, even 'insiders' to work towards the greater good. we shall see....
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    with the right leader and atmosphere, you do not believe even 'seasoned veterans' can want and desire, work towards, change? seriously? i didn't realize he promised to bring fresh faces to washington, and even as far as reaching across the aisle, does not necessarily mean within his cabinet, but in working relations as a whole, or that's at least my understanding of it.

besides, as someone mentioned above, he still has more to pick, no? so when all is said and done....could be quite interesting, or not......but either way, i am more interested in what they ultimately DO, and not just who he personally chooses to work with within his cabinet. ANYone can be an agent of change if they desire. i do personally believe obama could be one of those people to inspire and direct others, even 'insiders' to work towards the greater good. we shall see....

I'm sorry but I'm a bit more skeptical than you, then again I didn't believe him from the start.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    I'm sorry but I'm a bit more skeptical than you, then again I didn't believe him from the start.

i wasn't even being so specific to obama, but just in general. you do not think it possible for 'seasoned veterans' to be agents of change with the right leader and atmosphere?

me, i KNOW it is possible. i have seen it happen on a much smaller sclae obviously, with new leadership in different jobs i've had; new prinicipals, new managers, etc....and even seasoned teachers having renewed interest, open to change, agents of change.

i believe it CAN happen.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    i wasn't even being so specific to obama, but just in general. you do not think it possible for 'seasoned veterans' to be agents of change with the right leader and atmosphere?

me, i KNOW it is possible. i have seen it happen on a much smaller sclae obviously, with new leadership in different jobs i've had; new prinicipals, new managers, etc....and even seasoned teachers having renewed interest, open to change, agents of change.

i believe it CAN happen.

Definitely season politicians can bring change, but I just don't see the people he has selected so far, with the exception of Holder, working for change.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    Definitely season politicians can bring change, but I just don't see the people he has selected so far, with the exception of Holder, working for change.

well, we shall see, won't we?
    hopefully we all will be pleasantly surprised. i DO truly believe with the right, inspirational leader.....MANY can be prompted to work towards the greater good.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    The only person being second guessed is Hillary by Hillary herself. Hillary knows she could better serve herself and the Party by remaining in the Senate. If Ted Kennedy became unable to continue his duties, Hillary would become the lead senator on health care reform. This would be a monumental nod for her future and she'd have Obama in her pocket.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    Like the choices or not hes doing a great job of hiring experienced qualified people for each position. And as was said earlier he will be the leader using his qualified staff as agents for his changes.

And if that doesn't happen then he failed and its time to get in someone new in 2012. I hate how people (so far more on the far left then the far right) refuse to let him even take office before passing judgment.

He has yet to enact one policy and people are already screaming that they were lied to or duped.

CMON PEOPLE! I even gave Bush Jr. an opportunity up until Iraq. You have to rally around the President and hope for success for the bettement of the country.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    Some positions probably require people that have great know of how Washington works
    Think about what you're saying though...are you really pleased with the way Washington has been working all this time? Congress and the White House have been full of Washington insiders for a long long time, and look what it's produced.
  • Options
    CMON PEOPLE! I even gave Bush Jr. an opportunity up until Iraq. You have to rally around the President and hope for success for the bettement of the country.
    A lot of people rallied behind Bush in the beginning, and look where it led us to. Why should we do it all over again?
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    Think about what you're saying though...are you really pleased with the way Washington has been working all this time? Congress and the White House have been full of Washington insiders for a long long time, and look what it's produced.

Thank you. I will still give Obama his chance and hold judgement on him but from what I have seen so far, surrounding yourself with people who have spent their careers preserving the status quo does not bode well for change.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    Thank you. I will still give Obama his chance and hold judgement on him but from what I have seen so far, surrounding yourself with people who have spent their careers preserving the status quo does not bode well for change.

and again, with the right leader...one who inspires and desires change....one who wants to work change......CAN indeed create change working with people who have spent their careers working within the status quo.

time will tell.

i don't really understnad what 'outsiders' one would expect him to bring in, and then yes....be finger-pointing from elsewhere that he is surrounding himself with people just as inexperienced as himself. in either scenario, he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. besides which, all his choices have not yet been set, so why not wait until that happens before proclaiming he is surrounding himself with *ALL* washington insiders dedicated to upholding the status quo. and again, sure it can be considered hope....but even in that scenario, as i stated earlier...change STILL isvery much possible. maybe not as much as some want or hope for, but it does not mean change cannot or will not occur.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    and again, with the right leader...one who inspires and desires change....one who wants to work change......CAN indeed create change working with people who have spent their careers working within the status quo.

time will tell.
    Yeah, technically, time will tell, but history also tells us a lot too. Obama's voting record tells us a lot. To me, hoping for change in this case is like going to prison and hoping not to get raped.
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:

I'm not saying that things were ran well in washington so we should keep going down that path. The examples I gave (chief of staff & budget director) knowing how washington worked was more to the approach that they will know how to get things done. Only time will tell if Obama change what things are done, but having people in place that know how the bureaucracy works isn't a bad thing in itself.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    having people in place that know how the bureaucracy works isn't a bad thing in itself.
    That's not an argument in favor of hiring insiders imo. That's like saying it wouldn't be a bad thing to hire criminals as police officers because they know how the crime world works.

I think insiders are more likely to continue the bureaucratic nature of Washington, just as history has shown us over and over again.
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    Yeah, technically, time will tell, but history also tells us a lot too. Obama's voting record tells us a lot. To me, hoping for change in this case is like going to prison and hoping not to get raped.

witticisms aside, both ARE possible. :) you want to think both hold the same degree of improbability, so be it. certainly your perogative. it's not mine. i ALSO believe just what 'degree' of change occurs....how much...where...why....when......may not please all, but hopefully will please many.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    I'm not sure if this is a legitimate criticism. Maybe it is; I kind of took a break from politics after the election and honestly haven't kept up as well as I usually do. My question to the critics is this; did anyone honestly feel that Obama's rhetoric during the campaign season was supposed to mean that he was going to stock his whole cabinet with people with no Washington experience? I didn't get that at all, so I'm wondering if there's some intricacy of his presentation I missed. Or are critics doing it solely to be critical? I think it's find to be critical for the sake of being critical; he's the President, it's needed. I'm just wondering if people actually legitimately felt that way, because that thinking makes little sense to me.
  • Options
    digster wrote:
    My question to the critics is this; did anyone honestly feel that Obama's rhetoric during the campaign season was supposed to mean that he was going to stock his whole cabinet with people with no Washington experience?
    Not at all. I fully expected this. That's one of many reasons why I didn't vote for him.
  • Options
    digster wrote:
    I'm not sure if this is a legitimate criticism. Maybe it is; I kind of took a break from politics after the election and honestly haven't kept up as well as I usually do. My question to the critics is this; did anyone honestly feel that Obama's rhetoric during the campaign season was supposed to mean that he was going to stock his whole cabinet with people with no Washington experience? I didn't get that at all, so I'm wondering if there's some intricacy of his presentation I missed. Or are critics doing it solely to be critical? I think it's find to be critical for the sake of being critical; he's the President, it's needed. I'm just wondering if people actually legitimately felt that way, because that thinking makes little sense to me.

excellent point, and i think the crux of the issue. i think many of the 'critics' will/would be critical no matter what, b/c they see obama as more of the same and he will never produce the kind of change they personally want to see, even if indeed he DOES produce a good volume of change. whereas i am thinking many of the obama supporters are much more moderate in their hopes, and thus their support of him for president. obviously, just my personal perspective...but i do think there is truth to it.

basically, as ever....just all mockery on running on a platform of 'change'.......
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    digster wrote:

I never thought he was going to fill his staff with complete outsiders, that would not be a good move. I expected some Washington insiders and heavy hitters to be in there but it just seems that he is recreating the Clinton Administration, which was far better than the Bush administration, but I have no interest in have another 4 years of the same old bullshit.
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    mammasan wrote:
    I never thought he was going to fill his staff with complete outsiders, that would not be a good move. I expected some Washington insiders and heavy hitters to be in there but it just seems that he is recreating the Clinton Administration, which was far better than the Bush administration, but I have no interest in have another 4 years of the same old bullshit.

Fair enough. I think considering the hay that was made about his supposed lack of experience during the general election campaign, he would have been insane to stack his cabinet with all outsiders with no election experience. I think the cabinet can show some diversity, but hearing stuff like "the Deputy Chief of Staffs both worked in the Clinton administration" doesn't really bother me. I mean, this is what these people do for livings; they run White Houses, Congressional offices, etc. This is their job.

I'm going back and forth on Clinton for Secretary of State. On one hand, she's got alot of negatives, many of which were reasons I did not vote for her during the primaries, but it's funny; I've gotten so sick of hearing "Team of Rivals" every five minutes from the networks (oh congrats, you've read a book), but I guess I shouldn't talk, for I picked up the book myself a month ago and have been making my way through it. It's shocking how closely the Obama/Clinton story has mirrored the Lincoln/Seward story, and how much Obama's rise has paralleled Lincoln's in general. I could see him thinking these people will breed constructive conflict, as many people said we had with a Republican Congress and a Democratic president (Clinton's second term). Considering I think Lincoln's by far our greatest president, Obama has alot to live up to in that regard.

It's also become clear to me that Obama's harshest critics will be on the far left, not on the far right. I think many of the far left voters who supported him in lieu of Nader, etc. will be disappointed to find that he is concerned with building bridges between the left and right, not the Democrats and the far left.
  • Options
    digster wrote:
    Fair enough. I think considering the hay that was made about his supposed lack of experience during the general election campaign, he would have been insane to stack his cabinet with all outsiders with no election experience. I think the cabinet can show some diversity, but hearing stuff like "the Deputy Chief of Staffs both worked in the Clinton administration" doesn't really bother me. I mean, this is what these people do for livings; they run White Houses, Congressional offices, etc. This is their job.

I'm going back and forth on Clinton for Secretary of State. On one hand, she's got alot of negatives, many of which were reasons I did not vote for her during the primaries, but it's funny; I've gotten so sick of hearing "Team of Rivals" every five minutes from the networks (oh congrats, you've read a book), but I guess I shouldn't talk, for I picked up the book myself a month ago and have been making my way through it. It's shocking how closely the Obama/Clinton story has mirrored the Lincoln/Seward story, and how much Obama's rise has paralleled Lincoln's in general. I could see him thinking these people will breed constructive conflict, as many people said we had with a Republican Congress and a Democratic president (Clinton's second term). Considering I think Lincoln's by far our greatest president, Obama has alot to live up to in that regard.

It's also become clear to me that Obama's harshest critics will be on the far left, not on the far right. I think many of the far left voters who supported him in lieu of Nader, etc. will be disappointed to find that he is concerned with building bridges between the left and right, not the Democrats and the far left.

I definitely agree with your last point. We are going to see a lot of unhappy far leftist after a year or two because Obama will not pan out as they had hoped. My best hope is that he governs from the center, and I believe he will.
  • Options
    i am thinking many of the obama supporters are much more moderate in their hopes
    I agree. Don't you think that's sad though? I feel like our hopes and expectations from government shouldn't be moderate...they should be realistic, but they shouldn't be as limited as they've become. Most people seem to be so disenchanted with government that they'll be happy with tiny changes here and there. If I could get to a point of feeling like that, I would've voted for Obama without even thinking twice.

I dunno...the changes I want don't seem really extreme. I don't want to fight all these stupid wars so rich people can get richer. I don't want to fund countries like Israel who defy the UN constantly, causing people halfway around the world to hate me and my country. I don't want to see us spend as much money on defense as the rest of the world combined does. I want that money to go to things like healthcare and education. These aren't extreme requests imo.
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    A lot of people rallied behind Bush in the beginning, and look where it led us to. Why should we do it all over again?

You're right. We should just reject anyone in power. Cmon now, theres a difference in supporting someone and hoping they succeed vs. blindly following because hes the leader.

Bush had me until Iraq. I would have never voted for him but he was doing an OK job. Then Iraq came and he became the worst President of all time. And this was still in the timeframe of the first 4 years so we had a chance to vote him out.

I think rather then judge every friggin move Obama makes before he takes office we should see what hes going to try to do first AND THEN PASS JUDGMENT.

My $0.02.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    You're right. We should just reject anyone in power. Cmon now, theres a difference in supporting someone and hoping they succeed vs. blindly following because hes the leader.

Bush had me until Iraq. I would have never voted for him but he was doing an OK job. Then Iraq came and he became the worst President of all time. And this was still in the timeframe of the first 4 years so we had a chance to vote him out.

I think rather then judge every friggin move Obama makes before he takes office we should see what hes going to try to do first AND THEN PASS JUDGMENT.

My $0.02.

But can't it be argued that his moves now are a direct reflection of what he will do in office. If I don't agree with his decisions now I probably will not agree with his decisions once he takes office.