Options

Fairness Doctrine: Its a coming!

pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
edited October 2008 in A Moving Train
for someone like myself who is going into radio this could cripple free speech on the radio when discussing politics...some big names on both sides of the isle have fought against this for years, but im thinking it is more of a reality in the next 4 years than it ever has been, not because of Obama necessarily but because of Nancy Pelosi and the control they will have in house and senate..Obama does have power to veto this but how many favors will he owe when he gets into office?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairness_Doctrine

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YTlhN2UxNjY0YmFhMmM4NGIyYjM3NjRjMGZkMmU4N2I=

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10202008/postopinion/opedcolumnists/dems_get_set_to_muzzle_the_right_134399.htm
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    Christian professors are being pushed out of colleges.

Right wing radio will be silenced with the Fairness Doctrine.

We are heading into a scary time where dissenting views will be silenced. The left has the media (especially when FoxNews and right-wing radio is silenced), the left has the colleges, and now the left has the executive and legislative branches. I would feel better with a Democratic congress and a Republican president (or vice versa). It's just funny that anti-free speech laws will get placed to limit conservative speech, and the left will ignore the reduction of rights and claim it progress. I'm fine with people voting to allow abortion or gay marraige, but to take rights away from people who are against those things is wrong, and it will be a sad day.
  • Options
    Christian professors are being pushed out of colleges.

Right wing radio will be silenced with the Fairness Doctrine.

We are heading into a scary time where dissenting views will be silenced. The left has the media (especially when FoxNews and right-wing radio is silenced), the left has the colleges, and now the left has the executive and legislative branches. I would feel better with a Democratic congress and a Republican president (or vice versa). It's just funny that anti-free speech laws will get placed to limit conservative speech, and the left will ignore the reduction of rights and claim it progress. I'm fine with people voting to allow abortion or gay marraige, but to take rights away from people who are against those things is wrong, and it will be a sad day.

more fear... more fear... run to the hills...

Who the hell is silencing right wing radio or Fox News? And please, show me some evidence of Christian professors being pushed out of colleges.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    more fear... more fear... run to the hills...

Who the hell is silencing right wing radio or Fox News? And please, show me some evidence of Christian professors being pushed out of colleges.

more talking points..its not fear, its fact...and sorry if me being silenced at my job is called fear but i like my free speech

everything he said has merit to it

read about the fairness doctrine, its all in there
  • Options
    Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    Presidential candidate Barack Obama has expressed his opposition to the Fairness Doctrine; an aide to Senator Obama described the debate surrounding it as "a distraction from the conversation we should be having about opening up the airwaves and modern communications to as many diverse viewpoints as possible," and cited Obama's support for other proposals such as media-ownership caps and network neutrality. [22]
  • Options
    Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,073
    Dogman3 wrote:
    Presidential candidate Barack Obama has expressed his opposition to the Fairness Doctrine; an aide to Senator Obama described the debate surrounding it as "a distraction from the conversation we should be having about opening up the airwaves and modern communications to as many diverse viewpoints as possible," and cited Obama's support for other proposals such as media-ownership caps and network neutrality. [22]

Impossible. He's a liberal. He wants to lock all conservatives in prison.
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • Options
    pjalive21 wrote:
    more talking points..its not fear, its fact...and sorry if me being silenced at my job is called fear but i like my free speech

everything he said has merit to it

read about the fairness doctrine, its all in there

It is fear... propagated by a few conservative editorials, blogs and radio hosts to help drum of fear of an "unacceptable" Obama presidency.

Sure there are some idiots on the left who will be pushing for it, but there is no way it will pass... Besides the fact that it would never get enough votes, there is way too much money being made by conservative radio/TV to let that happen.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    this'll never, ever happen. It's just more BS drummed up by hacks and watercarriers for the GOP in an effort to scare people into voting for McCain. It's this years version of the gay marriage votes from 4 years ago designed to get all the homophobes out to the polls to vote for Bush
  • Options
    this'll never, ever happen. It's just more BS drummed up by hacks and watercarriers for the GOP in an effort to scare people into voting for McCain. It's this years version of the gay marriage votes from 4 years ago designed to get all the homophobes out to the polls to vote for Bush
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    It is fear... propagated by a few conservative editorials, blogs and radio hosts...quote]

You Mean these conservative editorials, blogs and radio hosts?

SEN. DURBIN, June 27, 2007, The Hill:

“It’s time to reinstitute the Fairness Doctrine,” said Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.). “I have this old-fashioned attitude that when Americans hear both sides of the story, they’re in a better position to make a decision.”

SEN FEINSTEIN, June 27, 2007, The Hill:

Feinstein says she is “looking at” reviving the Fairness Doctrine. She wants to bring it back because she thinks “one-sided programming” pushes the American people into “extreme views.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein told "FOX News Sunday" that she was reviewing the Fairness Doctrine because "talk radio is overwhelmingly one way."

SEN. KERRY, June 26, 2007, Bryan Lehrer radio show:

“I think the Fairness Doctrine ought to be there and I also think equal time doctrine ought to come back. I mean these are the people who wiped out one of the most profound changes in the balance of the media is when the conservatives got rid of the equal time requirements. And the result is that, you know, they’ve been able to squeeze down and squeeze out opinion of opposing views and I think it’s been an important transition in the imbalance of our public…”

SPEAKER PELOSI & STENY HOYER, May 15, 2007, Liberty Papers:

According to two members of the House Democrat Caucus, Reps. Nancy Pelosi and Steny Hoyer have informed them that they will "aggressively pursue" reinstatement of the so-called Fairness Doctrine over the next six months.

“First, [Democrats] failed on the radio airwaves with Air America, no one wanted to listen,” says a senior adviser to Pelosi. “Conservative radio is a huge threat and political advantage for Republicans and we have had to find a way to limit it. [SENIOR ADVISOR TO PELOSI]

REP. KUCINICH, May 14, 2007, American Spectator:

In January, Democrat presidential candidate Rep. Dennis Kucinich announced that he was going to pursue the Fairness Doctrine through his Government Reform Subcommittee. That announcement was greeted with silence. But now, Pelosi has moved things to the front burner.

REP. HINCHEY, Oct. 24, 2007, The Bend Bulletin:

But a spokesman for U.S. Rep. Maurice Hinchey, D-N.Y., said the congressman will likely introduce a version of the Fairness Doctrine as part of a package to limit consolidation of media ownership.

“Since it is the public’s airwaves, the public is entitled to hear a broad array of ideas that reflect the diverse opinions of Americans across the country,” said spokesman Jeff Lieberson. “The main underlying issue here is media consolidation — as a result of that, corporate interests are infiltrating what is being broadcast.”

June 22, 2007 NPR
    Rep. Maurice Hinchey tells The Washington Times that the Democrat is planning to reintroduce a bill that calls for a return to the doctrine, saying "The American people should have a wide array of news sources available to them."

July 23, 2007 LA Times
    But Rep. Maurice D. Hinchey (D-N.Y.) said the rest of the media presented a balanced view of controversial issues, and the Fairness Doctrine would simply reimpose that requirement on talk radio.

Hinchey is readying legislation to reinstitute the doctrine as part of a broad package of media ownership reforms.

"It's important that the American people make decisions for themselves based upon the ability to garner all the information, not just on what somebody wants to give them," he said.

***Bill Ruder, an assistant secretary of commerce under John F. Kennedy, admitted to CBS News producer Fred Friendly that "our massive strategy was to use the Fairness Doctrine to challenge and harass right-wing broadcasters and hope the challenges would be so costly to them that they would be inhibited and decide it was too expensive to continue."***

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2007/11/14/bill-press-liberals-have-no-tv-network-no-op-ed-pages
    Bill Press: Liberals Have No TV Network, No Op-Ed Pages

By Tim Graham | November 14, 2007 - 12:03 ET

In a recent CBN News report by Melissa Charbonneau on the Fairness Doctrine, jaws dropped across the conservative-Christian segment of America at this section:

Liberals, such as radio host Bill Press, say it's only fair for government to rein in right-wing broadcasters who dominate the airwaves licensed by the government.

"Conservatives rule talk radio," Press said. "Conservatives have their own powerful television network: the only one, the most powerful in the country, the most watched. Liberals have none. Conservatives rule the op-ed pages of all the newspapers."

I was invited in to discuss our PBS Special Report on how there's not exactly a Fairness Doctrine ruling the increasingly liberal taxpayer-funded network. It's a good thing I wasn't in the middle of a glass of water when that quote aired.

Anchor Lee Webb asked me to respond to Press, and I simply said that's not the way conservatives see it. Maybe I should have just said "Bill Press knows better."
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    acutejam wrote:
    You Mean these conservative editorials, blogs and radio hosts?
    Ummm.... I was talking about the eidtorials, blogs and radio hosts who keep bringing this up like it's going to happen.

Apparently you missed the second paragraph of my post:
    Sure there are some idiots on the left who will be pushing for it, but there is no way it will pass... Besides the fact that it would never get enough votes, there is way too much money being made by conservative radio/TV to let that happen.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Ummm.... I was talking about the eidtorials, blogs and radio hosts who keep bringing this up like it's going to happen.

Apparently you missed the second paragraph of my post:

Didn't miss it, it's just not fact. You seem certain, "a fact" you say that there's not enough votes? We won't know for a few weeks/months on that. The only fact is that, yes, folks keep bringing it up based on the comments I quoted.
    [sic] happens