Options

Economic Stimulus Package Has Arrived!!

My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926
edited April 2008 in A Moving Train
Just got my rebate by direct deposit this morning (EDT).

Spend or save?

What will you do? What do you figure most people will do and will it have any impact on the economy whatsoever?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    NevermindNevermind Posts: 1,006
    Im going to spend every cent of it on broccoli.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I'm certain I made to much to get one but in the freak instance that I do I'm donating it to a group that is going to defend our southern border from this continued invasion.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    My plan is to spend $100 of it on Grand Theft Auto 4 and a few blu-ray movies.. the other $500 will go into my savings.
  • Options
    yay! free money! thanks bush!

i will probably use it to pay off my gas card, since the bill skyrocketed now that gas is approaching 4 bucks a gallon. once again, thanks bush!
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    i plan on attempting to stimulate myself with it.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    ajedigecko wrote:
    i plan on attempting to stimulate myself with it.

It's the least we could do, really.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    It's the least we could do, really.
    with all due respect......how can they think that 1500 is going to stimulate the economy?

they should have just left out the word stimulus and called it (insert your title here) because i can not think of an appropitate title.
  • Options
    My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926
    ajedigecko wrote:
    with all due respect......how can they think that 1500 is going to stimulate the economy?

they should have just left out the word stimulus and called it (insert your title here) because i can not think of an appropitate title.

Well you know some people are going to take that 1500 and buy a nice flat screen or PS3s for the entire family or some other bullshit.

Don't get me wrong it would be nice to splurg on something but I'm thinking of just popping this in my Roth or just in the savings account for when I really need it.

However, lets say that everyone that gets a check spends it. Does it help the economy?
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I received mine this morning too. :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    My3rdEye wrote:
    Well you know some people are going to take that 1500 and buy a nice flat screen or PS3s for the entire family or some other bullshit.

Don't get me wrong it would be nice to splurg on something but I'm thinking of just popping this in my Roth or just in the savings account for when I really need it.

However, lets say that everyone that gets a check spends it. Does it help the economy?
    i will say no, only because they tried sending a check out about 5 or 6 years ago for 400, if i remember correctly, for the same reason.

now here we are with the current amount being sent out. so if we follow the same pattern, in about six years we should be receiving a check for around 4900.

i like what you are doing, with regards to saving it.
  • Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    id love to save it but im paying for a new roof.
    And my wifes $1700 in credit card debt. errrrrrrrgggggggg. :(

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    unsung wrote:
    I'm certain I made to much to get one but in the freak instance that I do I'm donating it to a group that is going to defend our southern border from this continued invasion.

You'd be better off spending it on broccoli.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    ajedigecko wrote:

because it's not 1200 or 1500 it's a gigantic amout of people with money they treat as found money. So they maybe buy a few more big ticket items....so the people working in those sectors can earn more or keep thier jobs what have you. People will invest... same thing.

I'm hoping everyone will take that money and pay off huge chunks of credit card balances... being out of debt is a great way to live. Certainly reduces stress.

Even if it only goes to debt. You're mantaining good credit and you're increasing your ability to do the things you might want to do like buy a house; keep your house; or fix your roof or whatever.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    fyi: http://www.wtvr.com/Global/story.asp?S=8229287

Are you awaiting your tax rebate check? Join the club.

Originally, the IRS said they'd start mailing them May 2, but we now have an updated schedule of Monday April 28.

If the IRS has your direct deposit information, your check will deposited earlier than those who are getting it by mail. But, the mailed checks are also coming a week earlier than originally scheduled. Read the breakdown for deposits and mailings below:

(match the last digits of your social to the date)

Direct Deposit:

00-20 April 28

21-75 May 5

76-99 May 12

Mailing Paper Check:

00-09 May 9

10-18 May 16

19-25 May 23

26-38 May 30

39-51 June 6

52-63 June 13

64-75 June 20

76-87 June 27

88-99 July 4
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    I will spend mine in Punta Cana, when my girlfriend and I go there this summer.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    mammasan wrote:
    I will spend mine in Punta Cana, when my girlfriend and I go there this summer.

Nice land of a billion palm trees. THe DR is a good time. That's a nice area. Hopefully mojitos and good cubans are in your future. :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    I was thinking of donating it to an anti-bush campaign.
    Just me
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Nice land of a billion palm trees. THe DR is a good time. That's a nice area. Hopefully mojitos and good cubans are in your future. :D

Mojitas and Cohibas are definitely in my future. My oldest brother went there last year and loved it. We got as good deal too, all inclusive.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul