Options

If the democrats start to take over..?

not4unot4u Posts: 512
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
..will it be the neocons that will orchestrate the next terror attack?. Will our eyes be opened? Will be be raped? or will dick cheney's warnings simply fade away. Its not like the dems won't do a good job. Its the fact that the republicans are not in power that will have us Fall. democracy? lol
we don't want war, but we still want more?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    if the democrats take over we'll still be screwed and our money will still be mismanaged.

other than the little R and D next to their names what were the real differences between kerry and bush, again? some small ones exist but policy wise they looked the same
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    if the democrats take over we'll still be screwed and our money will still be mismanaged.

other than the little R and D next to their names what were the real differences between kerry and bush, again? some small ones exist but policy wise they looked the same

Great point, and it's not brought up enough. The last election didn't really offer much of a choice on any real important issues, since the candidates take the same stance on those.
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    Great point, and it's not brought up enough. The last election didn't really offer much of a choice on any real important issues, since the candidates take the same stance on those.

why is it that the world's only superpower chooses it's leader from 'the lesser of 2 evils'??? we have no real choice w/ these 2 parties.

how do you get nominated? you need money. where does the money come from? over 90% comes from corporations...hell, oil and gas have given almost a billion in 'contributions' since 2000! do ppl really think they just give this money w/o expecting anything in return? (who wrote our energy policy, again? ;) )

it's just an illusion of choice

“I'll show you politics in America. Here it is, right here. 'I think the puppet on the right shares my beliefs.' 'I think the puppet on the left is more to my liking.' 'Hey, wait a minute, there's one guy holding out both puppets!'”
    - Bill Hicks
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:

I'm not sure that President Kerry would have kept us in Iraq this long... I also doubt he'd be handling the Iran problem the same way.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    I'm not sure that President Kerry would have kept us in Iraq this long... I also doubt he'd be handling the Iran problem the same way.

well, obviously he wouldn't follow the neo-con agenda, but overall i don't think there'd be a whole lotta difference. he was too phoney and stiff. it was obvious he pandered (as does bush) to ppl instead of saying what HE thought. god, istill remember him on the daily show all stiff and that horrid flop-flip joke of his he thought was so amusing
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    El_Kabong wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out what Kerry's policy positions are on anything. Same goes for the Dems. I can't make a comparison until I hear what they want to do.

In terms of no differences between the parties, the 90% of Americans who like capitalism actually do see differences between R's and D's.
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    why is it that the world's only superpower chooses it's leader from 'the lesser of 2 evils'??? we have no real choice w/ these 2 parties.

Don't worry, your not alone. As far as I see it, this is pretty much the norm across all Western democracies. 2 parties or 20, it wouldn't make a difference. Complicitly we trust afluent people who are well connected, even if they stab us in the back time and time again.
  • Options
    floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    El_Kabong wrote:
    where does the money come from? over 90% comes from corporations

I can tell you, without reservation, that this is not the case.
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    well, obviously he wouldn't follow the neo-con agenda, but overall i don't think there'd be a whole lotta difference. he was too phoney and stiff. it was obvious he pandered (as does bush) to ppl instead of saying what HE thought. god, istill remember him on the daily show all stiff and that horrid flop-flip joke of his he thought was so amusing

he was definitely a bad campaigner, but i thought he would have been acceptable as a president. also, he was unfortunate enough to be running against a campaign that operated with a virtual "war of attrition" mentality. kerry went as the "i'm not bush" candidate, and bush campaigned on two platforms: he portrayed kerry as a liberal, faggot-loving, abortion-happy, terrorist-sympathizing, traitorous flip-flopper, and he also just flat-out tried to scare the shit out of the american people by saying that if he's not re-elected, we'll get hit by terrorists again. oh yeah, they might have invoked that "sunny morning in september 2001" a few times, too.

in any event, kerry could have been the second worst president in history and still been the better than bush.
  • Options
    RainDogRainDog Posts: 1,824
    El_Kabong wrote:

The biggest difference I see between the two parties is that the Republicans tend to be a bit more unified; while the Democrats are all over the place. Hence the "Republicans have plans - Democrats don't" meme that keeps floating around. Now, this is the main reason I'm rooting for the Dems. With the Republicans in charge, we seem to get a one party government - if the Democrats take over, it will be the closest to having more than two parties that we can get at the moment. We'll get more variety in what's brought to the floor - and more options for individual issues.

As for the Kerry/Bush differences, there are a good bit if you look for them. Kerry's campaign didn't make it easy on the voters, though. For one, dispite his vote, I don't think Kerry (or Gore) would have invaded Iraq. Kerry's terrorism plan dealt more with law enforcement than all out war. He's also a lot better for the environment - and I think, if he could have worded correctly (which isn't likely) he could have gotten a lot of support for alternative fuel subsidies had he made it into office. He's also voted against just about every drug war expansion that's come up since he's been in the Senate.

I know you were probably asking a rhetorical question, but I wanted to get in on it. I honestly think a Democratic takeover of the House and Senate would be good for the country, if only to change power holders.
  • Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    if the democrats take over i'm moving to canada.
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options
    Complicitly we trust afluent people who are well connected, even if they stab us in the back time and time again.

we are forced to trust the affluent. look at the conn race. ned spent 5 million or so and so did lieberman, the affluent are the only ones who can run a national or large, successful campaign.
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    What, where the conservative party is to the left of our liberal party? ;)
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:

Not me. If the Democrats win, I'm going to spend November claiming that the election was stolen. Then, I'm going to attack Speaker Pelosi every single day and blame her for all the world's problems. One thing I won't do, is offer counter points and solutions.
  • Options
    Not me. If the Democrats win, I'm going to spend November claiming that the election was stolen. Then, I'm going to attack Speaker Pelosi every single day and blame her for all the world's problems. One thing I won't do, is offer counter points and solutions.
    Sounds good to me. I, for one, welcome a vocal conservative minority.
  • Options
    RainDog wrote:
    What, where the conservative party is to the left of our liberal party? ;)

no but it's cool to say you're moving to canada when you're upset.
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741

that sounds like a good plan...speaking out to hold elected leaders accountable...

I wonder why one would only do that for one party and not another...:confused:
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    the last time the dems had control they had a balanced budget. how's dub doing?
  • Options
    brain of c wrote:
    the last time the dems had control they had a balanced budget. how's dub doing?

The budget was not balanced in 1992. The last time the budget was balanced, the Republicans had control over 2/3 of the branches of government.
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    he was definitely a bad campaigner, but i thought he would have been acceptable as a president. also, he was unfortunate enough to be running against a campaign that operated with a virtual "war of attrition" mentality. kerry went as the "i'm not bush" candidate, and bush campaigned on two platforms: he portrayed kerry as a liberal, faggot-loving, abortion-happy, terrorist-sympathizing, traitorous flip-flopper, and he also just flat-out tried to scare the shit out of the american people by saying that if he's not re-elected, we'll get hit by terrorists again. oh yeah, they might have invoked that "sunny morning in september 2001" a few times, too.

in any event, kerry could have been the second worst president in history and still been the better than bush.

that's well thought out. i'm voting for you, next time. get joe walsh to be your vice president.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,672
    The last time the dems had power, america was still the world's bully.
  • Options
    acroyearacroyear Posts: 46
    not4u wrote:
    ..will it be the neocons that will orchestrate the next terror attack?. Will our eyes be opened? Will be be raped? or will dick cheney's warnings simply fade away. Its not like the dems won't do a good job. Its the fact that the republicans are not in power that will have us Fall. democracy? lol

You are a stereotypical, brainwashed, conspiracy theorist, liberal..
    "If you want peace, be prepared for war."
    George Washington
  • Options
    acroyear wrote:
    You are a stereotypical, brainwashed, conspiracy theorist, liberal..

they showed clips on the daily show of dick cheney saying that a lesser republican presence will make it easier for terrorists to attack. Sounds like a warning to me.
  • Options
    not4u wrote:
    they showed clips on the daily show of dick cheney saying that a lesser republican presence will make it easier for terrorists to attack. Sounds like a warning to me.

So the Dems oppose NSA, examining patterns (not wiretapping citizens) in phone calls, and examining terrorist financing activties. So you think opposing these programs makes it harder for terrorists to attack?
  • Options
    brain of c wrote:
    that's well thought out. i'm voting for you, next time. get joe walsh to be your vice president.

My administration will not allow any current or former members of the Eagles to hold any position of any kind, sorry.
  • Options
    So the Dems oppose NSA, examining patterns (not wiretapping citizens) in phone calls, and examining terrorist financing activties. So you think opposing these programs makes it harder for terrorists to attack?

i do agree to profiling to some extent and the dems are foolish but
    all i am hearing in the silence is 'vote republican or die by terrorists' - that is why i made this thread.
    "vote republican or die by terrorists' Even if the dems follow the republican's terror platform and somewhat overboard citizen profiling, if the neocons do not have controll, they will kill us untill we yeild.
    - this is obviously a prediction. so we'll see.
  • Options
    My administration will not allow any current or former members of the Eagles to hold any position of any kind, sorry.

Cool, then I still have a spot.
  • Options
    zstillings wrote:
    Cool, then I still have a spot.

You can be Secretary of the Interior or something. HUD, maybe.
  • Options
    not4u wrote:
    i do agree to profiling to some extent and the dems are foolish but
    all i am hearing in the silence is 'vote republican or die by terrorists' - that is why i made this thread.
    "vote republican or die by terrorists' Even if the dems follow the republican's terror platform and somewhat overboard citizen profiling, if the neocons do not have controll, they will kill us untill we yeild.
    - this is obviously a prediction. so we'll see.

I wouldn't be opposed to voting Democrat If I could at least hear their plan. Kucinich was on O'Riley last night and at least outlined his plan, I was impressed that he acknowledged a problem. I wish more Democrats would do this.
  • Options
    You can be Secretary of the Interior or something. HUD, maybe.

I'll take it.