Options

U.S. Soldiers Ask Rumsfeld If They Could Get Surprise Visit From Loved Ones Instead

hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
July 21, 2006 | Issue 42•30

BAGHDAD—Although U.S. troops in Iraq said they appreciated President Bush's recent surprise visit, thousands of them have petitioned the White House to arrange surprise visits from relatives and spouses as well. "As great as it was to get a visit from the commander in chief, given the choice, I'd rather see my mom," said Army Cpl. Emilio Salazar, who is serving his third tour of duty. "Or my dad, or even my girlfriend. I'm just saying, they could fit a lot of people on Air Force One." An estimated two-thirds of American military personnel in Iraq have signed the petition, with the other third saying that Iraq is still far too dangerous a place for anyone's loved ones to spend any time.
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Damn Fucking Right!!!!

Thank you, Laura for posting this.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    EvilToasterElfEvilToasterElf Posts: 1,119
    hippiemom wrote:
    July 21, 2006 | Issue 42•30

BAGHDAD—Although U.S. troops in Iraq said they appreciated President Bush's recent surprise visit, thousands of them have petitioned the White House to arrange surprise visits from relatives and spouses as well. "As great as it was to get a visit from the commander in chief, given the choice, I'd rather see my mom," said Army Cpl. Emilio Salazar, who is serving his third tour of duty. "Or my dad, or even my girlfriend. I'm just saying, they could fit a lot of people on Air Force One." An estimated two-thirds of American military personnel in Iraq have signed the petition, with the other third saying that Iraq is still far too dangerous a place for anyone's loved ones to spend any time.

If you're going to use articles from the onion darlin' you should probably tell people before they get uppity - god I love that publication though
  • Options
    If you're going to use articles from the onion darlin' you should probably tell people before they get uppity - god I love that publication though
    It's so much funnier when you don't though .... don't you think it's priceless when people post indignant responses to obvious nonsense? :D

See, you went and ruined it, before I could get any indignant responses to this one :(
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    It's so much funnier when you don't though .... don't you think it's priceless when people post indignant responses to obvious nonsense? :D

See, you went and ruined it, before I could get any indignant responses to this one :(

I never pegged you for a troll darlin

Is it that hard to get people to spew vitriol on this board?
  • Options
    I never pegged you for a troll darlin

Is it that hard to get people to spew vitriol on this board?
    Gimme a break ... 3 a.m. on a Saturday, stuck at home, I've got to entertain myself somehow :D
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    The Communists are behind this.

just kidding.
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    haha... besides that would never happen, it would make them soft and want to go home even more.

It would also imply politicians have a heart, conscience, and different emotions outside of greed.

When was the last time a politican ever kept his word(s) during his campaign? Man if I had a nickel for every false campaign promise to screw my vote...

Politicians are the last people you want to ever trust, and believe (esp in the US :D)
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    Gimme a break ... 3 a.m. on a Saturday, stuck at home, I've got to entertain myself somehow :D

sorry, 3 AM on a Saturday is 2 PM on a Sunday for me...fair enough though
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:

LOL! Gimme a break....you know my mindset on a Fri night/ early Sat morning, Laura. :D I think I entertain myself when I wake up and read some of my late night posts. Ahhhhh, egg on my gullible face! :p
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde