Options

Why?

FiveB247xFiveB247x Posts: 2,330
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
Why must everyone distort reality? Why must everyone care more about who a message is from compared to what the message is? Is that all anyone wants to do? Argue which side is right and ignore a solution? We live in a grey world and no one is 100% right... so maybe it's time we recognize the fact that when you're just continually fighting the other side, all you're doing is prolonging the solution and remedy. Whether it's about global warming, the middle east or whatever.. doesn't anyone want a remedy? Or would you just rather buckle in your stance and pretend your side will somehow come out on top, while the world withers away in chaos.
CONservative governMENt

Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole people by its example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law-breaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. - Louis Brandeis
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    reality is based on individual perception, so everyone 'distorts' to a certain degree. wqe can all bare witness to the exact same chain of events, and yet our perceptions and recollections of such can be vastly different. so it does usually come down to...who do you believe and why. however, i'm with you on the grey analogy, but i think many just feel it's so much 'easier' to argue issues into black and white categories, whereas in reality once again, it proves anything but easy....just adds to our polarity. compromise is not revered in our culture as it once was.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    People sadly associate compromise with giving in. We're become a society of radicals carrying out fundamentalist notions and in my opinion, the further we push the envelope, the more problems we and the world will receive.
    reality is based on individual perception, so everyone 'distorts' to a certain degree. wqe can all bare witness to the exact same chain of events, and yet our perceptions and recollections of such can be vastly different. so it does usually come down to...who do you believe and why. however, i'm with you on the grey analogy, but i think many just feel it's so much 'easier' to argue issues into black and white categories, whereas in reality once again, it proves anything but easy....just adds to our polarity. compromise is not revered in our culture as it once was.
    CONservative governMENt

Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole people by its example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law-breaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. - Louis Brandeis
  • Options
    FiveB247x wrote:
    People sadly associate compromise with giving in. We're become a society of radicals carrying out fundamentalist notions and in my opinion, the further we push the envelope, the more problems we and the world will receive.

personally, i see nothing 'radical' about our society at all, i see knee-jerk reactions and fear. but i absolutely agree, compromise is seen as a weakness and what an absolute shame that is...and at least partly why we are where we are imo.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    What we do in the world is very radical. We're the largest arms dealer in the world - multiple times over to any other one specific nation. We push forth the IMF, WB and WTO as methods of removing debt and rebuilding; but all they do is create more debt and lock nations into the global economy compared to rebuilding or helping them over the long haul (that's done for the rich nations benefits for profit, power and our growth - not theirs). We ignore international environmental laws and pacts for our own economic gain. We have shown time and time again, that diplomacy is not the answer, but force is - and typically only use diplomacy when its to our benefit - as a last resort (like with nations we won't attack because of WMD's). These are all very radical agendas and beliefs that keep our empire on top and in control, not moderate or knee-jerk reactions to minor issues. We've been carrying out primarily the same type of agendas since the end of WW2... it's nothing new at all... people just react to it as such cause its new to them or they ignore the past.
    personally, i see nothing 'radical' about our society at all, i see knee-jerk reactions and fear. but i absolutely agree, compromise is seen as a weakness and what an absolute shame that is...and at least partly why we are where we are imo.
    CONservative governMENt

• Options
    FiveB247x wrote:
    What we do in the world is very radical. We're the largest arms dealer in the world - multiple times over to any other one specific nation. We push forth the IMF, WB and WTO as methods of removing debt and rebuilding; but all they do is create more debt and lock nations into the global economy compared to rebuilding or helping them over the long haul (that's done for the rich nations benefits for profit, power and our growth - not theirs). We ignore international environmental laws and pacts for our own economic gain. We have shown time and time again, that diplomacy is not the answer, but force is - and typically only use diplomacy when its to our benefit - as a last resort (like with nations we won't attack because of WMD's). These are all very radical agendas and beliefs that keep our empire on top and in control, not moderate or knee-jerk reactions to minor issues. We've been carrying out primarily the same type of agendas since the end of WW2... it's nothing new at all... people just react to it as such cause its new to them or they ignore the past.

obviously, i was thinking of 'radical' in that sense at all.
    i realize that radical can simply mean 'extreme'...and obviously we have done much that is extreme. however, i usually think/use the term radical in the sense of social revolution. i never meant to imply that 'knee-jerk' reactions were moderate, nor for minor issues...but moreso that we have allowed a cloud of fear to obscure our better judgement. obviously, it's where we're at the moment, and it is not a good place to be for us, or the world.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    I don't have a side. I've been called left and right. I don't see the difference. I'm in the middle somewhere. Everyone ultimately is. Even Bush, he is against embryonic stem cell research because "it kills human beings" but it's ok to kill a couple 100,000 living breathing human beings in a foreign country. That's left and right at the same time, so essentially it's middle. Which is where I think most people are. The idea that there are "sides" is just something to keep the morons busy. It's like that trick with the paper that says "How to keep a moron busy, flip over." on both sides.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I don't have a side. I've been called left and right. I don't see the difference. I'm in the middle somewhere. Everyone ultimately is. Even Bush, he is against embryonic stem cell research because "it kills human beings" but it's ok to kill a couple 100,000 living breathing human beings in a foreign country. That's left and right at the same time, so essentially it's middle. Which is where I think most people are. The idea that there are "sides" is just something to keep the morons busy. It's like that trick with the paper that says "How to keep a moron busy, flip over." on both sides.

I agree.....
  • Options
    Well that whole "keep the morons busy" works pretty well cause have a look around the US nation... it's divided and been growing further for a while now.
    Ahnimus wrote:
    CONservative governMENt

• Options
    FiveB247x wrote:
    Well that whole "keep the morons busy" works pretty well cause have a look around the US nation... it's divided and been growing further for a while now.

Yea, that's really sad. :(

I don't know how you can fix that. I'd help, but I'm Canadian and I have to watch out the US might "decide to roll over and crush" me, as per Ann Coultier.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    FiveB247x wrote:

Yeah, polarization is about the worst thing for the U.S. right now ... Not to mention other democracies.
  • Options
    Yeah, polarization is about the worst thing for the U.S. right now ... Not to mention other democracies.

Our country is not too far behind.....I can feel it getting worse...hear it everyday....but I cannot see it ever as getting bad as the States.... but I could be wrong....
  • Options
    Our country is not too far behind.....I can feel it getting worse...hear it everyday....but I cannot see it ever as getting bad as the States.... but I could be wrong....

No, I think you are right, at least to some extent ... That last election was incredibly polarizing. Look at all the people who tried to demonize Harper and Martin BOTH. You had people on both sides (myself included) freaking out and basically playing into what was probably one of the most fear-based election campaigns in Canadian history. This does not bode well for the future, assuming that it continues.
  • Options
    No, I think you are right, at least to some extent ... That last election was incredibly polarizing. Look at all the people who tried to demonize Harper and Martin BOTH. You had people on both sides (myself included) freaking out and basically playing into what was probably one of the most fear-based election campaigns in Canadian history. This does not bode well for the future, assuming that it continues.

Yeah I fell victim...now all them look like useless tits....it was heavily fear based on both fronts...I hope the next election will be different...somehow I think it may....for some reason everyone went stupid for a few months...I think it was the winter election, more time for the candidates to teach us to fear the other party...next election, I seriously mean this, I am going to drop all old "allegiances" go in open minded listen to the issues at hand and go from there...just the name of your party wont give you my vote.....I want to have my vote earned next time
  • Options
    Yeah I fell victim...now all them look like useless tits....it was heavily fear based on both fronts...I hope the next election will be different...somehow I think it may....for some reason everyone went stupid for a few months...I think it was the winter election, more time for the candidates to teach us to fear the other party...next election, I seriously mean this, I am going to drop all old "allegiances" go in open minded listen to the issues at hand and go from there...just the name of your party wont give you my vote.....I want to have my vote earned next time

I think you just inspired me to do the same. Clean slate.
  • Options
    Vote for the Canadian Action Party. Or at least check 'em out.
  • Options
    I think you just inspired me to do the same. Clean slate.

Like seriously nothing productive has gone on...Harper is botching this whole Middle East deal, Jack; where the fuck is Jack? is he hiding under his chair or something in Parliament, the Liberals?? Are they even a party any more, fuck I hear more about the Bloc than anyone else and I live in Alberta....its weird all the hype and guess what same shit different pile so far in my eyes...all the parties just have different ways of exposing themselves as idiots....
  • Options
    Damn you Canadians for hijacking my thread. Don't you know the only country that matters and counts is the US!
    CONservative governMENt

• Options
    FiveB247x wrote:
    Damn you Canadians for hijacking my thread. Don't you know the only country that matters and counts is the US!

You took our cup we take your thread....
  • Options
    We won the cup vs your beloved Oilers! Us Americans love having our way with Oil housing nations! Reap it!
    You took our cup we take your thread....
    CONservative governMENt

• Options
    FiveB247x wrote:
    We won the cup vs your beloved Oilers! Us Americans love having our way with Oil housing nations! Reap it!

lol....you got me there....
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    if the CIA can kidnap people and put them on secret flights and have them imprisoned and tortured - would that not allow the countries of these people to bomb the fuck out of the US?? ... why is everything a one-way street there??

what's the difference?
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    polaris wrote:
    if the CIA can kidnap people and put them on secret flights and have them imprisoned and tortured - would that not allow the countries of these people to bomb the fuck out of the US?? ... why is everything a one-way street there??

what's the difference?

good question
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    Might makes right.
    polaris wrote:

what's the difference?
    CONservative governMENt