Options

Sometimes I Wonder............

NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
What is it all about?

Why are they always fighting over in the Middle East?

Why all the hate and desire to eliminate Israel (and Israelies)? Why all the hate for Muslims (Palestines) and the desire to eliminate them?

Could it it really be, that the fundamental root of all the centuries violence and hate between them- is simply a neverending, bitter argument over who are the " Chosen Ones" ? " God's Chosen People? "

Is that really what it's all about? Is that what started it all?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    I have thought about how the Christian religion supposedly began in that area..and yet they can never be at peace. It seems ironic.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    that very well may be what it is all about. The jew's are God's chosen people in the Bible and in the Koran muslims are chosen people. Just like the Bible can be distorted to fit an agenda, the Koran can be as well. People are either A. perverting religions or B. following religious teachings. If the people are perverting religions I place the onus on the religious leaders to stop this or condemn it much more loudly than it is now...this would work in the middle east b/c religion and gov't are VERY closely tied.
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    NMyTree wrote:

It's been going on since the crusades. Between the technologically modern western forces and the poorer Arabs. The people are riled up with talk of religion and the holy land in a ploy by those in power to gain control of a strategic foothold in the Mideast.

NMyTree wrote:
    Why all the hate and desire to eliminate Israel (and Israelies)?

Because Arabs see it as modern colonialism. As with the Crusades, it's the West's hold on the Arab world and the holy lands. Palestinians have been displaced, and Israel is armed by the richest and most powerful countries in the world. The Palestinians and Arabs aren't blind. They see Israel as a creation of the west, inhabiting their lands.
    NMyTree wrote:
    Why all the hate for Muslims (Palestines) and the desire to eliminate them?

Because the Palestinians use methods that are seen as 'barbaric'. The Israelis can't understand why they resort the suicide bombings and can't just let the Israelis be. But, they can't sympathize with the plight of the Palestinians for whatever reason. They are backed with the billion dollar militaries of the west, using tanks to overrun Palestinians houses, who have rocks as their defense.
    NMyTree wrote:
    Could it it really be, that the fundamental root of all the centuries violence and hate between them- is simply a neverending, bitter argument over who are the " Chosen Ones" ? " God's Chosen People? "

Religion definitely drives the people in the conflict, but I believe at the highest level it's about land control. The powers that be are concerned with power and land. Religion is the tool to rile up support.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    ConXConX Posts: 39
    It's been going on since the crusades. Between the technologically modern western forces and the poorer Arabs. The people are riled up with talk of religion and the holy land in a ploy by those in power to gain control of a strategic foothold in the Mideast.

Because Arabs see it as modern colonialism. As with the Crusades, it's the West's hold on the Arab world and the holy lands. Palestinians have been displaced, and Israel is armed by the richest and most powerful countries in the world. The Palestinians and Arabs aren't blind. They see Israel as a creation of the west, inhabiting their lands.

Because the Palestinians use methods that are seen as 'barbaric'. The Israelis can't understand why they resort the suicide bombings and can't just let the Israelis be. But, they can't sympathize with the plight of the Palestinians for whatever reason. They are backed with the billion dollar militaries of the west, using tanks to overrun Palestinians houses, who have rocks as their defense.

Religion definitely drives the people in the conflict, but I believe at the highest level it's about land control. The powers that be are concerned with power and land. Religion is the tool to rile up support.

Clever man. He knows his Crusades!
  • Options
    danmacdanmac Posts: 387
    For anybody wishing to try and reason why the Middle East the way it is, please do a bit of reading, and specifically about the period BEFORE OIL WAS DISCOVERED. The Arab-Israeli conflict the media keep blowing up to be bigger than it is, is not 3000 years old. It's a hundred, at most.

Until the demise of the Ottoman empire, which coincided with the end of WW1, the discovery of oil, and the British seizing colonial control over the region, jews and muslims didnt just coexist besides each other under 1300 years of Mohammedan rule, they fully integrated and interacted. Even the Quran, through the word of Mohammed, recognises the jews as 'People of the Book', and the similarities in the two religions are incredible, and have more to do with each other than Christianity.

Look at how the Sultans treated the Christians in Jerusalem once they recaptured the city from the Crusaders. Look at how they treated the jews.

Only white, europeany christians, until the current withering death dealt out to the 1.4 million Palestinians in Gaza, have committed genocide against both races. The jews and arabs are related through the 12 tribes and all that.

Yes extremists on both sides (and on the third, the 'Christian' West) deliver rhetoric about 'wiping' each other out, but thats al it is. Minorities in power. The peopel couldnt give a shit. THe people want a quiet peaceful life. Withdraw all western interests, and then we will have the peace that existed until the end of the 19th century.

Until the oil runs out, I can't see that happening.
    A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects
    are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider
    god-fearing and pious: Aristotle

Viva Zapatista!
  • Options
    Bwalker545Bwalker545 Posts: 162
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0813338859/104-1306539-4555926?n=283155
    Buy it, read it, understand
    t'was my textbook last semester...
    "Almost unconsciously he traced with his finger in the dust on the table: 2+2=5" 1984
  • Options
    not4unot4u Posts: 513
    will elvis take the place of jesus in athousand years?
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    What is it all about?

Why all the hate and desire to eliminate Israel (and Israelies)? Why all the hate for Muslims (Palestines) and the desire to eliminate them?

Uh, the Jews are NOT trying to eliminate all the Muslims- THEY ARE DEFENDING THEMSELVES. Obviously you are too dense to figure that out. All the surrounding Muslim nations want to get Israel out of the Middle East (if not, off the planet).
    "It's not that liberals know nothing. It's that what they do know isn't so."
    Ronaldus Magnus
  • Options
    Bu2Bu2 Posts: 1,693
    wasn't long enough.

If this is all about religion, I say let religion go. Personal beliefs shouldn't start a war.

*looks up*

Holy shiite, did I just say that?
    Feels Good Inc.
  • Options
    Bwalker545Bwalker545 Posts: 162
    Genesis 1:1--"In the beginning was the Word and the Word was God." In the original Aramaic text, that word was Yahweh or Jehovah, which means light and love. We've twisted it to mean this guy with a beard passing judgement, but it's not. In the beginning was the Word and the Word was Love and Light; infinite, unconditional, and without judgement. At that point you can pretty much close the book, you know?

-Maynard James Keenan -

Keep in mind Jews Christians and Muslims all hold the old testement as a sacred text...
    "Almost unconsciously he traced with his finger in the dust on the table: 2+2=5" 1984
  • Options
    Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    NMyTree wrote:
    What is it all about?

I don't think this is about religion at all. We all know that religion has been used by those in power to rally followers.

What THIS is about, as I see it, is a struggle between those who would like the current status quo of a capitalistic world economy to continue, those who would seek to diminish the status of nation states, and some dictators who are crazy like a fox. 3 categories, but not necessarily mutually exclusive.
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
  • Options
    DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Dear Creator of this post:

Just blame it all on the United States of America

Sincerely,

Dems&Libs
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917

The methods used by some Palestinian factions ARE barbaric, by modern standards. I don't see the need for the quotes there. Granted, so is bombing civilian targets with fighter jets.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    ConX wrote:
    Clever man. He knows his Crusades!

Are you being sarcastic? Because no offense to anyone, that post wasn't that clever or original.
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    Uh, the Jews are NOT trying to eliminate all the Muslims- THEY ARE DEFENDING THEMSELVES. Obviously you are too dense to figure that out. All the surrounding Muslim nations want to get Israel out of the Middle East (if not, off the planet).

Yea, I would argue that, but it's clear other people are already telling you the truth. So I'll make sure the truth is heard in one of the other threads on this conflict.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    shirazshiraz Posts: 528
    NMyTree wrote:
    What is it all about?

No. One need to learn from the past, not reliving it. The problem is one side (israel) thinks more in present & future tense but hasn't learned enough from past mistakes, and the other side's (Palestines) way of thinking is mostly stucked in the past.

Like Vedder said: "it makes much more sense to *live* in the present tense".
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Israel wont leggo their eggo.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad