What Did Ed Mean By This?

FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• thats its sad that so many people have to attach themselves to his ideas/thoughts/feelings.....in other words, why dont they have their own. People are always looking for something to "fill in the hole" and that is really only possible from within.
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    "My mind is in these songs but the
    fact that so many people relate
    to them is kind of depressing.
    Actually now I understand those
    religious channels,
    everyone needs something."

more importantly, anyone know where this is from? I just stumbled across it..

i suppose Ed could be referring to listeners being drawn by/attracted to certain songs/lyrics because of a perceived connection and/or somehow relating to the subject matter and message, BUT that only serves as a reminder of just how "real" those feelings/emotions/messages are which isn't necessarily a healthy thing. people tend to gravitate to the light, even if it's not bright, i think is what Ed was going with the religious channel reference,...

i always seem to recall an interview in which Stone said the fans that tend to scare/spook him are the fans who are so engulfed with the band's music that they fail to achieve balance in their lives, that they fail to see the "big picture" and have a VERY skewed perception of the band, the band's music, and the band's place in their lives,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I think it means the next album may be Emo. ;)

I think what he's trying to say is:

"I'm writing/playing these depressing tunes. Most people relate to them because the state of our country right now. It's fucked up that we have to bring our children into a world like this. We need to have hope and faith, even if we don't believe in A God. I think I'm going to go smoke an American Spirit and reflect on why the icebergs are melting"

:cool:
    NERDS!
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Fuck knows.
  • I think the world was best summed up in fight club. Youre told your entire childhood you can be anything from a rock star to brain surgeon. Then you grow up and find out thats a lie. Then you get trapped into wanting shit you dont need. You basically become dead.....go to work....go to bed.....rinse, repeat. Along comes someone that has lyrics about how shitty something is and you immediately relate..."hey, me too!" Than youre hooked. If you don't have balance in life, you end up living through someone's experience, thoughts.
  • he meant lets go yankees!
    "you can say that we're, nocturnal, posssomists"
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • I think it's more along the lines of, most of the early songs were about people in some pretty fucked up situations ... suicide, mental illness, child abuse, sexual abuse ...

I think the fact that people related to these songs is sad in its own way. The fact that there is all this bad stuff in the world.

I think that's what ed means.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    edited July 2012
    Post edited by Fahka on
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I can't remember where this is from but have seen it before. I'm pretty sure Ed is relating to the fan who could really understand and feel part of these lyrics he was singing, but as Ed changed they changed too because they believed what he was saying was right and feel that since he is changing they have to as well.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • "My mind is in these songs but the
    religious channels,

more importantly, anyone know where this is from? I just stumbled across it..
    I think he meant, "No cameras and no tape recorders."
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    I think it's more along the lines of, most of the early songs were about people in some pretty fucked up situations ... suicide, mental illness, child abuse, sexual abuse ...

I think the fact that people related to these songs is sad in its own way. The fact that there is all this bad stuff in the world.

I think that's what ed means.

i would have typed pretty much the same thing if you didn't type it first~
  • "My mind is in these songs but the
    religious channels,

I think he means "you aren't going to get tickets for the April Fool's tour, no matter how hard you try, so just get over it."
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    I think he means "you aren't going to get tickets for the April Fool's tour, no matter how hard you try, so just get over it."

tee hee :D