Options

Hindus set fire to orphanage

godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
edited August 2008 in A Moving Train
Aug 25, 2:41 PM EDT

BHUBANESHWAR, India (AP) -- Suspected Hindu hard-liners set fire Monday to an orphanage run by Christian missionaries in eastern India, killing one woman and seriously injuring a priest, police said.

Ashok Biswal, superintendent of police, said the woman was a 21-year-old teacher giving computer training to children at the orphanage. Initial reports that the woman was a nun were incorrect, he said

The attack occurred in Khuntapali, a village in Orissa state, during a strike called by the World Hindu Council to protest the killing Saturday of a Hindu religious leader and four others by suspected communist rebels in another district of the state, Biswal told The Associated Press.

Biswal said on Monday a group of Hindu hard-liners converged on the orphanage in Khuntapali, nearly 250 miles west of the state capital of Bhubaneshwar, and asked nearly 20 residents to leave the complex.

They then set the orphanage on fire with the woman and priest locked inside, he said.

The woman died and the priest was hospitalized with serious burns, Biswal said. He added that doctors now said the priest was "out of danger."

In 1999, an Australian missionary, Graham Staines, and his two sons were killed by a Hindu mob that set their car on fire.

The region is marked by religious tensions between Christian missionaries who work with mostly poor tribes in the region and hard-line Hindu groups that claim the Christians are forcing or bribing people to convert.

Churches deny that residents have been pressured or bribed to change their religious beliefs.

Indian law accepts missionaries but bars forced conversions. Nevertheless, any missionary activity generally provokes controversy.

Hindus account for 84 percent of India's more than 1.1 billion population and Christians about 2.4 percent.
"If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
—Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    godpt3 wrote:
    The region is marked by religious tensions between Christian missionaries who work with mostly poor tribes in the region and hard-line Hindu groups that claim the Christians are forcing or bribing people to convert.

Wow. Where does one even begin?
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    Where indeed.

I never liked missionaries.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    drivingrl wrote:
    Wow. Where does one even begin?

I'm trying to figure out if you're more upset about allegations of forced conversion than about a group of people actually setting fire to an orphanage with people locked inside it and killing one of them. It sounds to me like setting fire to people who don't view things the same way you do is 1. murder and 2 a very forceful conversion or conviction.
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    I'm pretty sure that the missionary was trying to convert people while they were over there.

Still, unless "forced conversion" is threatening conversion with force, I don't think preaching religion is offensive enough to warrant setting fire to an orphanage. If anyone disagrees, please enlighten.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    regionally speaking, i can see how 84% would be intimidated by 3%.....people have lost their minds.

but hey....at least this topic has been posted on a website where it will be viewed as progress. i can only imagine the outrage from the pearligious if it had been a hindu burned at the stake.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    "Pearligious"....I like that. Is that synomous with my mocking use of the term "Jamily"? Are "The Jamily" and the pearligious one of the same?
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    fanch75 wrote:
    "Pearligious"....I like that. Is that synomous with my mocking use of the term "Jamily"? Are "The Jamily" and the pearligious one of the same?
    yes.......it came about with the "ticket witch hunts" of late.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,135
    I'd be stocking my orphanage with cows for sure....and my missionaries too, if I had any.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    69charger69charger Posts: 1,045
    Bad things done in the name of Religion:

Christianity - 34,567,432,166
    Islam - 67,124,831,467
    Hindu - 1

They have some catching up to do.
  • Options
    It's awful, but that made me laugh
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,135
    69charger wrote:

Islam - 67,124,831,467
    Hindu - 1

Oh, so you're keeping score...cool. Well, then they can do just about anything they want then huh? Good to know.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    69charger wrote:
    Islam - 67,124,831,467
    Hindu - 1
    Islam - 67,124,831,467
    Hindu - 1 + 4000 years of caste system (google "Dalit")
    I have faced it, A life wasted...

Take my hand, my child of love
    Come step inside my tears
    Swim the magic ocean,
    I've been crying all these years
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    69charger wrote:

Islam - 67,124,831,467
    Hindu - 1

where'd you get those statistics from, fox news?
  • Options
    _outlaw wrote:
    where'd you get those statistics from, fox news?

I'm thinking world history.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
    69charger wrote:

Islam - 67,124,831,467
    Hindu - 1

I was going to say I have never heard of a Hindu hard liner. Next up are the Buddist hard liners.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • Options
    I was going to say I have never heard of a Hindu hard liner. Next up are the Buddist hard liners.

I read something about violent buddhists a while ago. I can't remember where, or when or what it was about :D
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    google "hindu hard liner". if that gives you no joy, google "bajrang dal" and "shiv sena".

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673

A 200-man mob, accompanied by extremist Buddhist monks, has attacked a children’s home, which was being run by the Dutch Reformed Church in central Sri Lanka at the beginning of August-

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/buddhist.extremists.attack.christian.run.childrens.home.in.sri.lanka/7261.htm
  • Options
    The hindu hard-liners are a bunch of conservative-minded bastards. They are an annoying faction that are politically hard-line, not so much religious, from what I gather. They argue for things like hindu nationalist rule in India (as opposed to secular rule), something I'm not in favour of, even though I'm hindu and indian myself. This is because they tend to take a pretty hard-line on things like the caste system too. They would seek to roll back all the efforts the Indian govt has made to try and change the situation for the dalits. I don't condone attempts at religious conversion either but I don't blame certain groups (such as the "untouchable" class) for wanting to change theor religion as they don't get much from being a dalit. A lot of them are changing to christianity, buddhism and Islam just to get away from the dalit tag. (Unfortunately however, they still face prejudice from their converted religionistas because of who they used to be, from what I've read).

Anyway, I hate the way my religion has to be used as as some sort of "legitimate" excuse for frankly criminal and evil behaviour by hard-liners, whether inciting riots, burning people up or oppressing people. Hinduism doesn't even condone the caste system, it's perpetuated by people like them! They make me really mad sometimes!!
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    shock horror... a non-abrahamic faith has hardliners too.... stop the presses.

strictly speaking hinduism is not really a religion as it is a way of life.
    and yes the cast system is disgusting, but there is huge progress as India's economy booms more and more poor people are earning more money so they can send their kids to school and they can get better jobs, become middle class etc.

you got to remember India is still going through its own industrial revolution. Much of the same conditions were seen throughout Europe.
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    Collin wrote:
    I'm thinking world history.
    history?

is that some sort of joke I don't know about?
  • Options
    darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    From the BBC

The Pope has condemned deadly violence between Hindus and Christians in India's eastern Orissa state, which has claimed at least 11 lives.

During his weekly Vatican address, Pope Benedict XVI said he was "profoundly saddened" and called for communities to try to restore "peaceful coexistence".

The killing of a Hindu leader on Saturday sparked the violence.

Christians have suffered retaliatory attacks, despite police saying Maoist rebels were to blame for the killing.

"I firmly condemn any attack on human life," Pope Benedict told a crowd of pilgrims on Wednesday.

"I express spiritual closeness and solidarity to the brothers and sisters in faith who are being so harshly tested."

He labelled the death of Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati as "deplorable".

He was shot along with four others in an attack in the Kandhamal district of Orissa.

The Pope used strong language in condemning the violence

Police said Maoist rebels were responsible, but the attack has led to days of rioting between Hindu and Christian communities.

Hindu mobs have burnt down monasteries, churches and an orphanage run by Christians.

Among those killed was a Hindu woman who was working at the orphanage, in the village of Barakhama.

Arson and burning of Christian religious places has continued in Kandhamal, despite a curfew in all major towns.

Three bodies were discovered early on Wednesday in the district, bringing the death toll to 11 since Saturday.

Police have now been ordered to shoot rioters on sight.
  • Options
    darkcrow wrote:

"I firmly condemn any attack on human life," Pope Benedict told a crowd of pilgrims on Wednesday.
    wonder what he has to say about the inquisition and about the "convert or die" tactics used by Charlemange and in South America.

Swim the magic ocean,