Options

Eco-terrorism

2»

Comments

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    how dare you act like you know me from a few posts on a message board, no less!

You are right, I don't know you and can only judge based on posts. That is one of the risks of participating in the forum.
    The Battle in Seattle, was one of the more significant events of our generation. It was when our generation finially fought back. And I can tell you for damn sure, most of those people who went to seattle for the protest could give a damn about electoral politics or Bush v Gore at that point.

Eugene is an epicenter or was an epicenter of radical activism. I remember clearly in 1999, a string of events here, anarchists throwing bricks into banks, anarchists jumping on cars, violent scuffles with police etc...

So to act like I know nothing about activism is naive and frankly insulting. Go back to your Britney Spears tapes pal!

Oh yeah, so the WTO protests didnt have an impact? It was front page news worldwide. It shut down the talks in Seattle. It was a rite of passage, from what i was told by people who attended.

News worldwide for sure. There were some more responsible groups that got respect and sympathy for police abuse. Then there were the Eugene anarchists who were dismissed as punks and earned nothing but derision. So I guess everything depends upon perspective. It took a lot of guts to stand up to the cops the way some of the activists did. It took very few guts to cinch up the black hoodie and throw a brick through a Starbucks window. We obviously have different perspectives on honor and principle.

Anyway, it's back to that "Hit me baby, one more time" video for me.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    The Battle in Seattle, was one of the more significant events of our generation. It was when our generation finially fought back.

i agree...and this year I'm picking Gonzaga http://www.battleinseattle.com/
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    As futher proof, google it. Google the simple words "arsonist sentenced". I see 7 years, 9 years, 13, but no 23.

Free Jeff Luers. Jail the real criminals. He is a hero and will remain one. Even the courts think so, as they ruled he should be released in 2009. They felt his sentence was unfair.

Just like in the case of the WM3, who will pay for this? Who will pay for those years stolen from Mr Luers. Or stolen from the Wm3? or mumia? or peltier?

Who will serve time for that?

well He's at 10 years for arson as you pointed out...so he's right in the norm now. Mr Luers has had no years stolen from him...he committed arson and he's serving a much more appropriate sentence. The thing your missing out on all your poster children for political prisoners is that they just might be guilty... but it's a cool / hip cause to label them not guilty and make t-shirts and rally behind them.
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options
    godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
    The Battle in Seattle, was one of the more significant events of our generation. It was when our generation finially fought back. And I can tell you for damn sure, most of those people who went to seattle for the protest could give a damn about electoral politics or Bush v Gore at that point.

So they threw a bunch of rocks and started a few fires. Big Fucking Deal. Drunken soccer fans do that all the time. The "battle" as you call it, was markedly similar to another event that happened in 1999. Yes, that's right: Woodstock '99. When revolution and change became nothing more than a fashion statement. You talk a good game, but that's all it is to you. I've never met a single one of you that had the backbone of conviction to take SERIOUS action.

One man CAN make a difference in the world: John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, Sirhan Sirhan...
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
  • Options
    Desperate times call for desperate measures. I dont have patience for the snail pace of electoral politics version of change and progress.

In that case, you've got to think bigger. Pick up a gun, and kill someone... maybe strap some explosives to yourself. Or, if you want to make a REALLY big statement, I suggest hijacking a plane and crashing it into something. That always works well.

You see, you're nothing more than a cheap Osama knock-off. Only you don't have the guts to take action.
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

• Options
    flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    godpt3 wrote:
    In that case, you've got to think bigger. Pick up a gun, and kill someone... maybe strap some explosives to yourself. Or, if you want to make a REALLY big statement, I suggest hijacking a plane and crashing it into something. That always works well.

You see, you're nothing more than a cheap Osama knock-off. Only you don't have the guts to take action.

You are seriously fucked in the head.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    godpt3 wrote:
    No. What you really want to do is impose your morality on someone else. Just like evangelical christians.
    Damn....finally someone besides me has this view. Great Post!!!
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    godpt3 wrote:
    No. What you really want to do is impose your morality on someone else. Just like evangelical christians.

Meet Lady. She was rescued from OHSU's "Research" department by a friend who used to work there. She was saved from the horrors of vivisection.

There is no MORALITY in this. It is ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY CRUEL to inflict pain on another animal. Just because other species don't have voices, doesn't mean we get to do whatever we like with them - no reason justifies it.

http://www.vivisectioninfo.org/index.html
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • Options
    Smellyman2Smellyman2 Posts: 689
    I wouldn't want to kill anybody who does these horrific things to animals....

I would sure like to beat the crap out of them though.
  • Options
    so I guess those drugs must be good. This was a kid without a criminal history as well. He set fire to three suv's. Thats it. He didnt kill anyone. Didnt injure anyone. How is it okay for him to be sentenced to 23 years? Its outrageous, which is why i was for his release immediately and still am. he commited an illegal act, but lets face it, alot of kids commit arson. And I dont EVER remember reading about a first time arsonist being sentenced to a little over 2 decades.

What about 1 or 2 years in jail at the most?

Someone here posted an article about a nelected kid left to rot in her room. The mother spent little to no time in jail. Yet we send people like Jeff Luers, Mumia and Peltier to jail for half a lifetime or their entire lives.

As futher proof, google it. Google the simple words "arsonist sentenced". I see 7 years, 9 years, 13, but no 23.

Free Jeff Luers. Jail the real criminals. He is a hero and will remain one. Even the courts think so, as they ruled he should be released in 2009. They felt his sentence was unfair.

Just like in the case of the WM3, who will pay for this? Who will pay for those years stolen from Mr Luers. Or stolen from the Wm3? or mumia? or peltier?

And you say I'm on drugs...

So his sentence is going to be reduced and hes going to serve 11 years for Arson. I don't see the problem. And sure if he was rich and had a better lawyer he would have only served a couple of months, we all know the legal system is fucked in this country.

But it still doesn't change the fact he committed a crime and when you do your fate is left up to a Judge. He shouldn't have done it and he is not in any way a hero.

Destruction of property is the most annoying thing humans do if you ask me.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    wow, some people are nuts...

this thread is great, by the way...I'd like to hear some more justification for destruction and violence...

I'd be willing to bet, those who support rioting, firebombing, and the like would be a bit upset if the police acted the same toward them...
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    oh boy ... do i or don't i? ... :p

i'm gonna say don't based on the people responding in this thread - not very reasonable or objective imo ...
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,124
    so I guess those drugs must be good. This was a kid without a criminal history as well. He set fire to three suv's. Thats it. He didnt kill anyone. Didnt injure anyone. How is it okay for him to be sentenced to 23 years? Its outrageous, which is why i was for his release immediately and still am. he commited an illegal act, but lets face it, alot of kids commit arson. And I dont EVER remember reading about a first time arsonist being sentenced to a little over 2 decades.

What about 1 or 2 years in jail at the most?

Someone here posted an article about a nelected kid left to rot in her room. The mother spent little to no time in jail. Yet we send people like Jeff Luers, Mumia and Peltier to jail for half a lifetime or their entire lives.

What kind of jail sentence would change his behavior for the future, and make more people change their behaviors to avoid the jail sentence?

That's th ekind of jail sentence he shoudl have gotten.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,124
    Meet Lady. She was rescued from OHSU's "Research" department by a friend who used to work there. She was saved from the horrors of vivisection.

There is no MORALITY in this. It is ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY CRUEL to inflict pain on another animal. Just because other species don't have voices, doesn't mean we get to do whatever we like with them - no reason justifies it.

http://www.vivisectioninfo.org/index.html

And that is a perfectly logical and reasonable position...but destroying property, endangering people is not a perfectly logical and reasonable position.

Seems to me that many people speak of tolerance and freedom, except when it comes down to their own opinions, then they wish to FORCE it on others or use force on others if they don't comply.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Warped sense of reality and right vs. wrong.

Funny, these same people probably vilify the anti-abortion activists that do the same thing. When in reality, they are exactly the same.

That was my first thought too. What an absurd comment to make. It's incredibly ironic that this kind of behavior comes from people who will rant for days about how the US shouldn't use bombs to force other countries to share our beliefs.
  • Options
    FiveB247xFiveB247x Posts: 2,330
    Not that I condone such things, but in all honesty, there are some issues and topics that people do not believe have a grey area. People have their opinion and there's no room for discussion otherwise. For some it could be abortion, others it could be animal rights or others a political issue like Middle East issues. To me, this is one of those topics. I'm not really concerned about people's property or some labs where they test animals (which could be argued over the validty of its nature and its true help to mankind), or any of the other types of acts these eco-groups do. I'm not patting them on the back, but I'm certainly not concerned about wagging my finger either. To me, they're rather secondary or small in the nature of looking at society's real problems. Our society is always more concerned with the after effects of problems compared to actually curing the cause.
    CONservative governMENt

Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole people by its example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law-breaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. - Louis Brandeis
  • Options
    FiveB247x wrote:
    Not that I condone such things,

you keep using that phrase. Who are you trying to convince, exactly? Yourself?
    —Dorothy Parker

• Options
    No just simply stating that albeit it doesn't bother me, I don't go around rooting for it either. There were a few posters that were more than willing to back these groups.
    godpt3 wrote:
    you keep using that phrase. Who are you trying to convince, exactly? Yourself?
    CONservative governMENt

Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole people by its example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law-breaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. - Louis Brandeis
  • Options
    FiveB247x wrote:
    Actually not that I condone it per say, but these types of groups cause violence and destruction, but never target people.. just property. Obviously it's still illegal, but there's a big difference in trying to kill people compared to burning down a labratory when there's no one inside. And the one thing that really irks the FBI and others is they plan these things extremely well and typically aren't caught. But as others stated previously, there's two sides to every story.

Did you read the article? It says right in there that they tried to punch the guy in the face! And how is putting a bomb at someones front door and forcing them and their little children to evacuate their house not targeting them. You people are delusional if you think all these practices do is damage property.

I hope that anyone that ever supports these groups and happens to get sick at some point in their life will refuse modern medicine, as almost all modern medicines have at some point been tested on animals. Chemotherapy, vaccinations, etc... All passed through animal testing labs at some point.

And believe me, as a PhD student, I fully realize the rigid anti-cruelty regulations that researchers have to comply with in order to conduct their research. Every effort is made to minimize the amount of suffering that these animals are put through.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • Options
    How much of animal testing is actually applicable to human beings? There are instances where science and testing has helped such things, but nowadays, we use animals as guinea pigs for products to test poison levels, and even in many cases use modern medicines on animals for human purposes, when we in fact have no proof or corelation that the medicines will react the same in the animals as they do in humans. These are facts of animal testing in labs and similar. I'm not a tree hugger or eco-nut or animal rights nut, but you can't sit here honestly legitize an entire field like testing as beneficial purposes when in fact probably 75% of has no proof or merit backing its basis.
    Did you read the article? It says right in there that they tried to punch the guy in the face! And how is putting a bomb at someones front door and forcing them and their little children to evacuate their house not targeting them. You people are delusional if you think all these practices do is damage property.

I hope that anyone that ever supports these groups and happens to get sick at some point in their life will refuse modern medicine, as almost all modern medicines have at some point been tested on animals. Chemotherapy, vaccinations, etc... All passed through animal testing labs at some point.

And believe me, as a PhD student, I fully realize the rigid anti-cruelty regulations that researchers have to comply with in order to conduct their research. Every effort is made to minimize the amount of suffering that these animals are put through.
    CONservative governMENt

• Options
    FiveB247x wrote:
    Not that I condone such things, but in all honesty, there are some issues and topics that people do not believe have a grey area. People have their opinion and there's no room for discussion otherwise. For some it could be abortion, others it could be animal rights or others a political issue like Middle East issues. To me, this is one of those topics. I'm not really concerned about people's property or some labs where they test animals (which could be argued over the validty of its nature and its true help to mankind), or any of the other types of acts these eco-groups do. I'm not patting them on the back, but I'm certainly not concerned about wagging my finger either. To me, they're rather secondary or small in the nature of looking at society's real problems. Our society is always more concerned with the after effects of problems compared to actually curing the cause.

I really don't think many people understand the way scientific research is funded and conducted. Research is funded on a peer-reviewed grant based system, meaning that in order for these people to have money, a panel of EXPERTS has determined their work to have scientific validity enough to give them money.

Now for the most part, while we can all voice our opinions in a forum, I will go with someone who understands the work and supports it objectively rather than someone who emotionally disagrees based on passion alone.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • Options
    FiveB247x wrote:
    How much of animal testing is actually applicable to human beings? There are instances where science and testing has helped such things, but nowadays, we use animals as guinea pigs for products to test poison levels, and even in many cases use modern medicines on animals for human purposes, when we in fact have no proof or corelation that the medicines will react the same in the animals as they do in humans. These are facts of animal testing in labs and similar. I'm not a tree hugger or eco-nut or animal rights nut, but you can't sit here honestly legitize an entire field like testing as beneficial purposes when in fact probably 75% of has no proof or merit backing its basis.

What exactly would it take to prove a study will have valid applications to human health before it is conducted? Science is about exploring the unknown, if we already knew something was going to work there wouldn't be a study concerning it.

Of course not every study will directly benefit humanity, but modern medicine would not be where it is today without animal testing, and there is absolutely NOTHING that you or anyone else can say to contradict that FACT!

You are also pulling that 75% number out of your ass. By and large, many of the genes in mice and other animals are highly related to human genes. Therefore, many of the disease processes are similar, and treatments have similar effects. Now, of course there are differences, but what do you want to do, start experimenting on humans? We have to take advantage of the best model system available, and that is animals.

Also, in general before a chemical ever gets to the point of being administered to animals, it has passed through a series of other tests on cultured human cells, meaning that there is reason to believe it would be effective.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • Options
    I am very familiar with how funding works as I have a friend who works in the field. But with that stated, these types of tests are in the minority of the overall animal testing labs and studies, ones as I refered too as having questionalbe reasons for doing them. These types are privately funded which no real science or research purpose to them. Albeit, not always, but these are the ones many people can in some respect relate too as unneccessary. Most animal rights groups are over the top but many times end up exposing labs and companies which inhumanly test animals for no other purpose than poison levels and side effects.
    I really don't think many people understand the way scientific research is funded and conducted. Research is funded on a peer-reviewed grant based system, meaning that in order for these people to have money, a panel of EXPERTS has determined their work to have scientific validity enough to give them money.

Now for the most part, while we can all voice our opinions in a forum, I will go with someone who understands the work and supports it objectively rather than someone who emotionally disagrees based on passion alone.
    CONservative governMENt

• Options
    FiveB247x wrote:
    I am very familiar with how funding works as I have a friend who works in the field. But with that stated, these types of tests are in the minority of the overall animal testing labs and studies, ones as I refered too as having questionalbe reasons for doing them. These types are privately funded which no real science or research purpose to them. Albeit, not always, but these are the ones many people can in some respect relate too as unneccessary. Most animal rights groups are over the top but many times end up exposing labs and companies which inhumanly test animals for no other purpose than poison levels and side effects.

I wholehartedly agree that there are cases where testing becomes cruel and unnecessary. Particularly concerning private companies testing their products on animal subjects.

However, we are talking about University professors being targetted here. By and large, this research is heavily regulated by animal protection agencies like IACUC that closely monitor animal welfare. For example, if a mouse unexpectedly dies, they have to know why, and what you are doing to correct the situation. They also closely monitor things like the number of animals per cage to avoid overcrowding issues.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • Options
    This maybe true in the official scientific world where medical testing does or tries to produce results, but would you say the same of the business and corporate world (that it is as heavily monitored)?

The monitoring comes in because of funding... if private funding is prevelant, all those groups and rules are loose or neglected in many cases. For the medical science field, of course its monitored correctly, but I don't think you can say the same of the business side of this discussion.
    I wholehartedly agree that there are cases where testing becomes cruel and unnecessary. Particularly concerning private companies testing their products on animal subjects.

However, we are talking about University professors being targetted here. By and large, this research is heavily regulated by animal protection agencies like IACUC that closely monitor animal welfare. For example, if a mouse unexpectedly dies, they have to know why, and what you are doing to correct the situation. They also closely monitor things like the number of animals per cage to avoid overcrowding issues.
    CONservative governMENt

• Options
    FiveB247x wrote:
    This maybe true in the official scientific world where medical testing does or tries to produce results, but would you say the same of the business and corporate world (that it is as heavily monitored)?

The monitoring comes in because of funding... if private funding is prevelant, all those groups and rules are loose or neglected in many cases. For the medical science field, of course its monitored correctly, but I don't think you can say the same of the business side of this discussion.

I only have personal experience as a student in academia so I can't say anything regarding private funding, or corporate research. I know that many cases of animal cruelty by corporations both in research and food production have been uncovered.

I don't think anyone can argue that cruelty does occur, particularly as you say in corporations.

However, these morons were targeting professors conducting what I assume is publicly funded research. Maybe it hits close to home for me since I may wind up in such a situation some day (I haven't done animal research myself yet).

From my understanding these terrorists developed a list of all professors at UCSC conducting any kind of animal research, and targeted them. Now I highly doubt that they had any nuanced understanding of the importance of any research being conducted in those labs. They just see "animal research" and go apeshit.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • Options
    I live near the ELF project here in WI.... fuckin cancer studies!!! WE have the highest rate of cancer in the USA....

Maybe you all should quit smokin so much and eating so much cheese and sausage! That might go a little way! :D
    Obama/Biden '08!!!