Options

PETA steals preeschool's pet rabbit

godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
edited September 2007 in A Moving Train
Sep 25, 10:38 AM EDT

Tots' Bunny Nabbed in Circus Protest
News Video
Buy AP Photo Reprints

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) -- A pet rabbit named Sugar Bunny was stolen from a preschool and fliers protesting circus animal acts were left in its empty cage.

The preschool's children gathered in a circle Monday to remember Sugar Bunny.

"We talked about how some people have different ideas about animals," said teacher Lori Peters. "Some people don't think they should be in cages."

Sugar Bunny vanished from the Community Building Children's Center on Saturday, teachers said.

"Somebody stoled him," 5-year-old Zion told The Spokesman-Review, which gave only the first names of him and other children in a report on the heist. "I'm sad."

The fliers expressed protests against the Ringling Brothers Circus, which was in town during the weekend, and had a picture of a bear trying to escape from a cage. The fliers bore the names of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals and the Northwest Animal Rights Network.

Daphna Nachminovitch, director of PETA's domestic animal department, said the group would not endorse stealing a pet bunny.

"Just like dogs and cats, (rabbits) have been domesticated, so we encourage people who have the knowledge and ability to adopt rabbits from their local shelters," Nachminovitch said.

It's unclear whether the preschool will find a new pet, Peters said.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
"If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
—Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I am a big supporter of animal rights, but I must say Peta usually takes it a few steps too far. That is screwed up. I bet that rabbit had a happier life there than out in a field somewhere w/all the love from the kids.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I am a big supporter of animal rights, but I must say Peta usually takes it a few steps too far. That is screwed up. I bet that rabbit had a happier life there than out in a field somewhere w/all the love from the kids.

I'm sure the PETA fucktards released the bunny, which was subsequently ravaged by coyotes last night. Way to go PETA! Kill a bunny and further marginalize yourselves! Idiots.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    I guess PETA gave up on magicians because they couldn't find their rabbits in the hats. :)
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    jeffbr wrote:
    I'm sure the PETA fucktards released the bunny, which was subsequently ravaged by coyotes last night. Way to go PETA! Kill a bunny and further marginalize yourselves! Idiots.

Or hit by a car.

PETA. That is so stupid.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    jeffbr wrote:
    Coyotes......feral house cats...minks....a fox....weasels might have ripped its flesh....domestic rabbits have the survival skills of a new born human baby.........that would be zero.......and that is exactly what the PETA people are.......zeroes.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,073

That's pretty much how I feel. They have no sense of pragmatism. There should be an animal rights group educating people about things and standing up for animals. But when they do things like this, it alienates people to the point that they don't want to listen to the legitimate points.
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • Options
    Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    "Daphna Nachminovitch, director of PETA's domestic animal department, said the group would not endorse stealing a pet bunny."

Did anyone read and comprehend that part?
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Tom K wrote:
    "Daphna Nachminovitch, director of PETA's domestic animal department, said the group would not endorse stealing a pet bunny."

Read and comprehended. And dismissed as bullshit.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,073
    Tom K wrote:

Some possibilities.

1. It is complete damage control BS.

2. The organization does not endorse it, but given the things that they tend to do, the members did this because they believed it is what they should be doing--pointing to a problem with the lack of communication from the organziation to the membership as well as indicating what the organizational culture is like there.

3. Some one "pretended" to be PETA (not likely, but you never know).

And if, as an above poster admitted to "dismissing as bullshit" seems unfair, it is worth considering that perhaps PETA has earned any predjudice anyone has against them.
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    I really doubt this was PETA, probably just some bunch of nuts with a pile of PETA pamphlets. Not that I don't think PETA is this extreme, but I do think they're a little more aware of avoiding negative publicity. I mean, stealing a bunny from a bunch of little kids???? How can this possibly turn out well for your organization?

Whoever did it, it's a shame. The rabbit is probably dead, and they've probably guaranteed that everyone in that town will go to the circus now, just to piss PETA off.

I agree with them on the circus issue, it's completely inhumane, and they've just undermined their cause.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Uncle Leo wrote:
    it is worth considering that perhaps PETA has earned any predjudice anyone has against them.
    IMHO...they have gone out of their way to earn said prejudice.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.