Options

"Scientology fugitive" arrested

godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
edited May 2007 in A Moving Train
Fuck L. Ron Hubbard and all of his clones, I'd love to send a Tom Cruise missile straight up their asses.

Keith Henson Back in Jail – Space Elevator Will Have To Wait
By RU Sirius
May 9th, 2007

On April 26, 2001, Keith Henson was convicted of interfering with a religion — a misdemeanor under California law — for picketing outside Scientology’s heavily armed, razor wire-enforced base, outside Hemet California. He split for Canada, becoming the world’s first “Scientology fugitive,” and he’s back in the U.S. dealing with a variety of court cases related to Scientology.

Henson was just thrown back in jail. As best as I can make out from the limited information currently available, Henson and his lawyers were scheduled for a hearing at 1:30 pm on Tuesday, May 8th. They were apparently unaware that warrants had recently been signed by the Governors of California and Arizona, and after the hearing, Henson was handed over to the Yavapai County Sheriff Department for incarceration until a hearing on Wednesday May 9th at 9 a.m. (A note received this afternoon — May 9th — from Henson’s wife, Arel Lucas, says that he will remain in the lockup at least until Monday, May 13th. She invites people to write to him at: Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office, Howard Keith Henson, 255 E. Gurley St. Prescott, AZ 86301. She also reminds you that the prison authorities read the letters before passing them on.)

more at:
http://www.10zenmonkeys.com/2007/05/09/keith-henson-back-in-jail-space-elevator-will-have-to-wait/
"If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
—Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Am I reading this right? A guy has been arrested for protesting and forced to flee his home country? Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that go against everything the US constituton supposedly stands for? All because the scientologists don't like people saying bad things about them. Fuckin Hell.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    All of the Scientology wackos are being brain fucked by their best friends...........how's that for not being offensive to the loonies.
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    Very interesting how one can be convicted of " interfering " with a religion, but Religion as a whole has always and continues to interfere with all of our lives.

Dispicable.
  • Options
    floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    This thread seems like it's going to get fun.
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    So picketing outside of a religious institution is illegal in California. I can understand disrupting a sermon or other religious activity within the confines of the property or building, but just picketing outside seems ridiculous to me.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    qtegirlqtegirl Posts: 321
    If you go to the link, you'll get this little bit of information:

"Though Henson was found innocent of long-range missile terrorism, for his activities he was convicted of interfering with a church — a California hate crime for which he received a six-month misdemeanor prison sentence. But Henson said he feared his life would be in danger from Scientologists if he were imprisoned - and he fled to Canada in 2001."

So, this guy is interfering with Scientology, so we are sympathetic to him.

Would we feel differently if this was a Muslim man picketing and protesting in front of a Jewish temple?
  • Options
    qtegirl wrote:

"Though Henson was found innocent of long-range missile terrorism, for his activities he was convicted of interfering with a church — a California hate crime for which he received a six-month misdemeanor prison sentence. But Henson said he feared his life would be in danger from Scientologists if he were imprisoned - and he fled to Canada in 2001."

Would we feel differently if this was a Muslim man picketing and protesting in front of a Jewish temple?

I obviously don't know all the details but I find the law a bit problematic. Where do you draw the line between freedom of speech and interfer with a religion. I mean picketing outside of a church, as long as you are not preventing members from entering said church, is protected under the 1st amendment.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    qtegirl wrote:

I would feel no differently. Churchs shouldn't be exempt from ridicule or opposition. How was he interfering? Why does it become a hate crime simply
    because it is done against a church? Yet another reason why the notion of hate crime is idiotic.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Having read the entire article and the history between the church and Henson it seems that this charge is bullshit. The man did nothing wrong and is the victim of the church manipulating the system to shield itself from criticism.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mammasan wrote:
    Having read the entire article and the history between the church and Henson it seems that this charge is bullshit. The man did nothing wrong and is the victim of the church manipulating the system to shield itself from criticism.

This is one of the knocks against Scientology. They seem to have a pretty powerful organizational structure that is able to use money and legal might to shut people and groups down.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08