Options

Another Wal-Mart "incident"

thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
LOL, asking employee to search for a bomb after a bomb treat, they're amazing. I also like the energy and financial means they put forward to defend themselves and create a counter-opinion and try to justify their actions and put the blame on others, but in the end it's just the stupid Wal-Mart way, no surprise there...

Wal-Mart on defensive over Quebec bomb threat
Updated Tue. Jul. 11 2006 11:33 PM ET

Canadian Press

MONTREAL -- Wal-Mart was only helping police and not endangering employees when it asked them to search for a possible bomb at one of the chain's stores, a company spokesman said Tuesday.

The manager of the St-Jean-sur-Richelieu outlet was alerted to a bomb threat last Thursday, said Yanik Deschenes, who confirmed that 40 sales clerks were asked to help find the device.

One young employee, who was apparently shaken by the incident, told her mother about it later. She complained to the store manager and the media.

Deschenes insisted nobody was forced to search the store about 60 kilometres east of Montreal.

"We will never put in jeopardy the security of our employees," he said in a telephone interview.

"Never, never, never (will) we force them to do such kinds of investigations. If this associate had said or all the associates had said `We don't want to participate', there would be no problem. They would have been able to leave the building without hesitation."

Deschenes said police told the manager the threatening call had been made to 911 from a pay phone outside the store.

Police ordered customers out but then told employees to look for any suspicious packages. Police would take over if any devices were found.

Deschenes said the manager asked the police officer -- one of five present -- if he was sure he wanted employees to do the search.

"They thought this was the right procedure to do and we trust them," Deschenes said. "Our procedure is very clear, to collaborate with the police officer all the time so that's what we did.''

Nothing was found in the search.

Deschenes said various police forces have given different instructions in similar situations in the past.

Some have ordered a complete evacuation, while others have told only managers to stay. In some cases, police have done the search themselves.

"Cases are always different, he said.

Police are still investigating the incident. Deschenes would not speculate on motives but said the store is not having any labour trouble.

Mailie Fournier, a former employee of the store, told Radio-Canada on Monday that several employees found the experience traumatic.

The incident prompted the Quebec workplace health and safety board to investigate.

Police said the store didn't violate any laws and had an obligation to evacuate the store only if a suspicious object was found.
"L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,073
    Depending on who you believe:

AT WORST: Wal-Mart willing to risk the lives of the lowly people that work for them. Big suprise.

AT BEST: Management and/or the Police had decided to have Wal-Mart employees looking for the bombs after a bomb threat? Someone dropped the ball.
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Uncle Leo wrote:
    Depending on who you believe:

AT WORST: Wal-Mart willing to risk the lives of the lowly people that work for them. Big suprise.

AT BEST: Management and/or the Police had decided to have Wal-Mart employees looking for the bombs after a bomb threat? Someone dropped the ball.

They can't even tell me what part of the store that trash bags are in, how the hell are they going to find a bomb?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    I read this earlier.

Third bomb threat at that store???? What is happening in Quebec my friend? Imagine if there was a bomb and it took out some of the employees as they were searching for it.

Now before some of the boys and girls come on here and defend WalMart about giving people jobs and not destroying a community. First let us think about the fact of jobs and what they mean to people that would actually go and do this for the organization. Says something about the amount of great jobs that are out there, that these people didn't tell them to piss off and were not risking their lives. And we are giving people up here for welfare if you are not working.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    Isn't the animated floating price-slashing happy face equipped with some bomb-sniffing capabilities?

I'd be negotiating for a big fucking raise if my job description all of a sudden included minesweeping. I'd also have to hold out for some health insurance.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    Wal-Mart are a bunch of blood-sucking parasites with a Stalin complex.

If I was in the sad position to be working for them, I would have told them to shove it up their ass. Sorry, no job is worth searching for a potentially life-ending package.

Unless of course you work for the "Bomb Squad", which makes you a well trained and schooled expert on such things.

Wal-Mart employees who don't even know what a S-Video cable is, should not be searching for bombs. Plain and simple.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Employees don't contribute to their profit margin, thus they are expendable???

A bunch of good posts in this thread.......evenflow? with a winner, Millhouse also scored as did blackredyellow..........keep up the good work folks......:D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    Why can't people tell the difference between a Wal-Mart corporate policy and a local Wal-Mart manager doing something not so intelligent?
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    Why can't people tell the difference between a Wal-Mart corporate policy and a local Wal-Mart manager doing something not so intelligent?

Is it a Wal-Mart corporate policy to hire ninny shitheads to manage their stores?
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    I read this earlier.

Third bomb threat at that store???? What is happening in Quebec my friend? Imagine if there was a bomb and it took out some of the employees as they were searching for it.

Now before some of the boys and girls come on here and defend WalMart about giving people jobs and not destroying a community. First let us think about the fact of jobs and what they mean to people that would actually go and do this for the organization. Says something about the amount of great jobs that are out there, that these people didn't tell them to piss off and were not risking their lives. And we are giving people up here for welfare if you are not working.

I can't even imagine what would have happen if there would have been a bomb and some employees searching for it would have die from the bomb. It would probably mean the end of Wal-Mart in Quebec, i mean they would face serious massive boycott (and i assume it would extend to the rest of Canada) and many protest, lawsuit, anyway it would be all hell for them so i don't even get the logic behind this "search".

Some people around here really hate Wal-Mart since the Jonquiere closure. Wal-Mart are engaging a "buy in Québec" promotion, they've hired this man Yannick Deschênes to defend the company in every medias everytime there is an event like this one. Anyway they're working very hard on the PR in the province. ( http://www.cnw.ca/fr/releases/archive/June2006/22/c8447.html )
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

Yannick Deschênes is not a local manager, he's the province Wal-Mart chief, and if only they would admit how it was a mistake, instead they blame the cops, wow...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

Because we all know what Wal-Mart's corporate policies are.

If you really think Wal-Mart's Corporate offices doesn't encourage the ridiculous policies and treatment of employees; then you're either too far gone into the corporate sheep mode; or you're simply dishonest.
  • Options
    Wal-Mart never admits nothing. They do wrong, then do more wrong to cover up the previous wrong.....and so on....and so on.....etc.

They'll lie their asses off everytime.
  • Options
    Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,073
    NMyTree wrote:

If you really think Wal-Mart's Corporate offices doesn't encourage the ridiculous policies and treatment of employees; then you're either too far gone into the corporate sheep mode; or you're simply dishonest.

Yeah. Obviously Wal-Mart does not have a "employees find the bombs" policy. But I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that Wal-Mart's culture of not giving a damn about their "associates" could possibly have contributed. Maybe not. Maybe the manager is just a bone-head and this same thing would not have happened at any other Wal-Mart.

Either way:
    "Employees, please find that bomb. We are risking your life to reduce the likelihood that our store will be destroyed."

An the idea that "they were not forced" to do this is a BS cop out. Any decent employer would never open it up as a possibility. They'd make sure everyone got out and leave the bomb-finding to the professionals.
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • Options
    Uncle Leo wrote:

An the idea that "they were not forced" to do this is a BS cop out. Any decent employer would never open it up as a possibility. They'd make sure everyone got out and leave the bomb-finding to the professionals.

...and that is the main and most important point!!
  • Options
    Uncle Leo wrote:
    Yeah. Obviously Wal-Mart does not have a "employees find the bombs" policy. But I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that Wal-Mart's culture of not giving a damn about their "associates" could possibly have contributed. Maybe not. Maybe the manager is just a bone-head and this same thing would not have happened at any other Wal-Mart.

Either way:
    "Employees, please find that bomb. We are risking your life to reduce the likelihood that our store will be destroyed."

What is amazing with all this story, is the fact that the Quebec workplace health and safety board will now have to make a law or rules about "Company do not have the right to make employees search for bomb" :rolleyes: . Wal-Mart might receive a blame from the Quebec workplace board (one more, not the first blame they officialy receive here) and will just keep going as if nothing happened...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    NMyTree wrote:

I worked for Wal-Mart for a few years. Have you ever worked for them?
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    inmyr-v-minmyr-v-m Posts: 10
    the subway I work at is inside a wal-mart. we had three bomb threats within two months, two in one week. The first time they kept us out of the store for over 3 hours, by the third one they had us out for 2o min. then we found out that they took 3 or 4 of the threats before they even evacuated the store. Then the managers got mad when some of the employees were uncomfortablle and upset and wanted to go home.
    Why Would You Want To Hurt Me?