Hilarious Pearl Jam analogy!

walkthamilewalkthamile Posts: 349
edited March 2008 in The Porch
Using the Seattle music scene to explain tennis in the 90's.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_wertheim/03/04/mailbag/

"It reminds me of the Seattle music scene in the early and mid-90s. You had four top-tier bands -- Pearl Jam (Sampras), Nirvana (Agassi), Alice in Chains (Courier) and Soundgarden (Chang) -- emerging from one region. (Continuing the analogy, Todd Martin is, presumably, Mudhoney.) When, a decade later, Seattle fails to have this kind of impact, it doesn't mean the local music scene is dead. It just highlights how exceptional the previous generation had been."
+--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Using the Seattle music scene to explain tennis in the 90's.

"It reminds me of the Seattle music scene in the early and mid-90s. You had four top-tier bands -- Pearl Jam (Sampras), Nirvana (Agassi), Alice in Chains (Courier) and Soundgarden (Chang) -- emerging from one region. (Continuing the analogy, Todd Martin is, presumably, Mudhoney.) When, a decade later, Seattle fails to have this kind of impact, it doesn't mean the local music scene is dead. It just highlights how exceptional the previous generation had been."

Great analogy! I completly agree...Pearl Jam IS Pete Sampras...the top dog!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Using the Seattle music scene to explain tennis in the 90's.

Souldnt PJ then be Agassi cuz they/he were around much longer than the rest?
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • LedbetterusLedbetterus Posts: 592

I would think Pearl Jam is Agassi purely because of the hair situation between Andre and Ed.
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,348

Like the analogy, but not the Sampras comparison. He always struck me as such a mope. Now, McEnroe I could see :D!! "You can not be serious!!!!!!!"
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,619

Probably did it because Sampras is a big fan of PJ - one of the better Sampras/PJ stories:

Sampras in Connecticut: At one point before he served, the quiet Sampras drew laughter from the crowd when a Pearl Jam song was briefly played on the PA system. He stopped his toss and said to the soundman, "That’s the best thing you played all night

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    I met Sampras at a PJ show in Vegas..............Ron Jeremy too!!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,139
    PJPixie wrote:
    I met Sampras at a PJ show in Vegas..............Ron Jeremy too!!

So the Hedgehog is a Jammer in more than one way! :p
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • imalive wrote:
    Like the analogy, but not the Sampras comparison. He always struck me as such a mope. Now, McEnroe I could see :D!! "You can not be serious!!!!!!!"

I love the commericials with McEnroe here lately....the one where he goes to an official's house to apologize...priceless, and I don't even know what the ad is for
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • wma11wma11 Posts: 790
    Probably did it because Sampras is a big fan of PJ - one of the better Sampras/PJ stories:

Sampras in Connecticut: At one point before he served, the quiet Sampras drew laughter from the crowd when a Pearl Jam song was briefly played on the PA system. He stopped his toss and said to the soundman, "That’s the best thing you played all night
    And from I remember Sampras played Alive over the PA after he won his last match...
    I met my wife here...you can too! Don't lose hope!