Options

Reuters admits to more image manipulation

binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
What a joke!!!!!! :(

News organization withdraws photograph of Israeli fighter jet, admits image was doctored, fires photographer. Reuters pledges 'tighter editing procedure for images of the Middle East conflict'

Reuters has withdrawn a second photograph and admitted that the image was doctored, following the emergence of new suspicions against images provided by the news organization. On Sunday, Reuters admitted that one of its photographers, Adnan Hajj, used software to distort an image of smoke billowing from buildings in Beirut in order to create the effect of more smoke and damage.

The latest image to face doubts is a photograph of an Israeli F-16 fighter jet over the skies of Lebanon, seen in the image firing off "missiles during an air strike on Nabatiyeh," according to the image's accompanying text provided by Reuters.

Following the accusations, Reuters conceded that a second image it provided had been manipulated, and released a statement saying it had recalled all photos by Hajj. "Reuters has withdrawn from its database all photographs taken by Beirut-based freelance Adnan Hajj after establishing that he had altered two images since the start of the conflict between Israel and the Lebanese Hizbullah group," the statement said.

The news outlet said that it discovered "in the last 24 hours that he (Hajj) altered two photographs since the beginning of the conflict between Israel and the Lebanese group Hizbullah," Reuters added.

“There is no graver breach of Reuters standards for our photographers than the deliberate manipulation of an image", Reuters' statement quoted Tom Szlukovenyi, Reuters Global Picture Editor, as saying.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jsandjsand Posts: 646
    Typical moving train poster response: "It doesn't matter because both sides are wrong, blah blah blah..."
  • Options
    Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,073
    It will be interesting to see how much media play this gets. On one hand it is something people will find interesting and it is very important. On the other hand it shows how willing the media could be to use "subtle" manipulation, given this case of blatent manipulation. I think the media, which should have a field day with this, will back off.

Either way, there is no getting around it. This is rediculous.
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • Options
    the media always buys in to the propaganda because it fits with their anti-american agenda..and the left just eats it up. its quite comical seeing so many people fall for the same thing over, and over, again.
  • Options
    shirazshiraz Posts: 528
    shiraz wrote:
    And here we go again, the man who took that picture (Adnan Hage) was proven to fake more pictures since the war had started.

fake:
    http://www.ynet.co.il/PicServer2/20122005/857867/1l_wa.jpg

picture of after-night Israeli attacks in Beriut on 5/8, after Nasrallah promised he would bomb Tel Aviv if we attack Beirut (fake)

http://www.ynet.co.il/PicServer2/20122005/857802/LBN02_wa.jpg

The original picture of the same location on 22/7 - 2 weeks before the above.

http://www.ynet.co.il/PicServer2/20122005/857875/r335112767_wa.jpg

Still thinking all of the media is pro-Israeli? well, think again.

It kills me no one is making such a big deal out of it. After all, we're talking about Reuters. God knows what other pictures were faked.
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:
    It kills me no one is making such a big deal out of it. After all, we're talking about Reuters. God knows what other pictures were faked.

Call Reuters what it is - according to the great Charles Johnson of littlegreenfootballs.com (amazing website): "al-Reuters"
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Uncle Leo wrote:
    It will be interesting to see how much media play this gets. On one hand it is something people will find interesting and it is very important. On the other hand it shows how willing the media could be to use "subtle" manipulation, given this case of blatent manipulation. I think the media, which should have a field day with this, will back off.

Good post.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    jsand wrote:
    Typical moving train poster response: "It doesn't matter because both sides are wrong, blah blah blah..."

God forbid we actually do think both sides are wrong. Sorry I can't see in black and white.
  • Options
    NCfanNCfan Posts: 945
    God forbid we actually do think both sides are wrong. Sorry I can't see in black and white.

So what should Israel do then so they won't be wrong?
  • Options
    NCfan wrote:
    So what should Israel do then so they won't be wrong?

Did I say Israel was just in the wrong? No, I said BOTH are in the wrong. Dropping bombs is fucking WRONG. That's why i said BOTH sides are wrong. If I had it my fucking way there wouldn't such a things as bombs and if people wanted to get their point across they could use speech instead of violence. I know that's not going to happen. I'm not sticking up for either Irsael or hezbollah.
  • Options

It's the failure to be able to distinguish between right and wrong, good and evil, or black and white, as you say, that plagues America and the entire world today. To attempt to paint everything "gray" is to ignore the threat of Islamic terrorism/fascism and to denigrate a soverign country's right to defend itself in the face of an incredibly dangerous threat to its existence. I am truly sorry that you and others cannot see this.
  • Options

It has nothing to do with Israel or Lebanon (though the man who took these pictures is Lebanese, but that doesn't matter), its about the media who should have been objective and faild to do so. Why? cause that man has editors in Reuters, and they approved these pictures. And newspapers have photo-editors as well and they also approved these pictures. Someone need to ask why, how the hell something like that is happening more than once in Reuters and how can we know for sure things like that are not being done (or maybe already had done) in other places.
  • Options
    NCfanNCfan Posts: 945
    Did I say Israel was just in the wrong? No, I said BOTH are in the wrong. Dropping bombs is fucking WRONG. That's why i said BOTH sides are wrong. If I had it my fucking way there wouldn't such a things as bombs and if people wanted to get their point across they could use speech instead of violence. I know that's not going to happen. I'm not sticking up for either Irsael or hezbollah.

Yeah, I hear ya man. Since you claim both sides are wrong... I just wanted to see what Israel could do so they wouldn't be in the wrong.

It's obvious what Hezbollah could do... so I wanted to hear your thoughts on Israel.

But i gotcha... Israel is wrong because they are using violence.
  • Options
    NCfan wrote:
    Yeah, I hear ya man. Since you claim both sides are wrong... I just wanted to see what Israel could do so they wouldn't be in the wrong.

It's obvious what Hezbollah could do... so I wanted to hear your thoughts on Israel.

But i gotcha... Israel is wrong because they are using violence.

Using violence is wrong yes, yet if you claim the right to defend yourself, then you have to use violence. BUT, the powerfull violence that Israel are currently using to try to eradicate Hezbollah, will come back to hurt them, there's no way to make Hezbollah disappear with bombs specially if you are so innefective and kill so many civillians and start a humanitarian crisis, some of the tactics like bombing roads and bridges are highly reprehensible and are hurting the civillians and humanitarian help, so i don't know how Israel are currently doing the right thing, for their own country and for Lebanon, i can't see it...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    I never expect for violence to be gone. I know that in many cases, it's the first thought that comes to mind to many people when they want to deal with a situation. I just wish it were different. I'm not defending the media for putting up pictures or articles that were not clarified with facts and that they knew were wrong. I think that they are making it worse on themselves because they lose any sympathy they had because the people will feel that they have been lied too, which they have, and taken advantage of, which they have. Hezbollah kidnapped soliders, so Israel strikes back twice as much. It just seems too much like a "Whose got the bigger dick" contest to me. You do this so I'm going to do THIS. What the fuck? When referring to the black and white this is what I meant. Hezbollah attacked. We attack. They attack. We attack. It never ends. The grey is the innocents in between that did nothing but are being attacked. Then you go into another section of the grey. Hezbollah using civilians as shields. To bomb or not to bomb, that is the question. What is the acceptable number of innocent civilians killed just so you can kill one terriorist? 2? 5? As many as it takes. I don't fucking get it. Lives should not be looked at as collateral damage. I'm getting emotional. Even if we don't see eye to eye I want you guys to know I love you. Really I do. I fucking love you and hope you nothing but the best.
  • Options
    I never expect for violence to be gone. I know that in many cases, it's the first thought that comes to mind to many people when they want to deal with a situation. I just wish it were different. I'm not defending the media for putting up pictures or articles that were not clarified with facts and that they knew were wrong. I think that they are making it worse on themselves because they lose any sympathy they had because the people will feel that they have been lied too, which they have, and taken advantage of, which they have. Hezbollah kidnapped soliders, so Israel strikes back twice as much. It just seems too much like a "Whose got the bigger dick" contest to me. You do this so I'm going to do THIS. What the fuck? When referring to the black and white this is what I meant. Hezbollah attacked. We attack. They attack. We attack. It never ends. The grey is the innocents in between that did nothing but are being attacked. Then you go into another section of the grey. Hezbollah using civilians as shields. To bomb or not to bomb, that is the question. What is the acceptable number of innocent civilians killed just so you can kill one terriorist? 2? 5? As many as it takes. I don't fucking get it. Lives should not be looked at as collateral damage. I'm getting emotional. Even if we don't see eye to eye I want you guys to know I love you. Really I do. I fucking love you and hope you nothing but the best.

Could you please stay on topic = media is failing to be objective and allows itself to play with civilians life during a war.
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:
    Could you please stay on topic = media is failing to be objective and allows itself to play with civilians life during a war.

What, you read two lines of a post then decide it's off topic? I clearly said that the media fucked up. they played the people's sympathies and now they are going to lose it. they took advantage of people and now the backlash is more than likely going to be harsher on the real stories coming out of that area than the fake ones because now no one is going to believe a fucking thing anyone says. I don't understand why they acted so stupidly. They had to have known that stories as false as that would be brought to light.
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    Lebanon's prime minister says 1 killed in airstrike, not 40 as originally reported.

" Lebanese Prime Minister Fouad Siniora said Monday that one person was killed in an Israeli airstrike on the southern village of Houla, not 40 as he had earlier reported.

"The massacre in Houla, it turned out that there was one person killed," Siniora said. "They thought that the whole building smashed on the heads of about 40 people ... thank God they have been saved."

Siniora had earlier told Arab foreign ministers in Beirut that the attack "was a horrific massacre ... in which more than 40 martyrs were victims of deliberate bombing."

Siniora said he had based the initial tally on unspecified information that he had received. He offered no other explanation for the error."

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/08/07/mideast.main/index.html
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Uncle Leo wrote:

Just funny, because the ones doing the manipulating, arent the ones that MANY on this board and across the nation want to believe would and have been doing that.

Makes ya wonder how many of those "less than credible sites" so many on here love to quote and reference, are up to the same "get bush and all related to him mentality". I mean, if "reputable media" like Reuters is up to this kind of blatantly illegal reporting, imagine what the smaller, lesser known, lesser policed media outlets have been doing.

Gonna make me smile even broader when, despite the media critics, and the idjuts who follow them blindly, discover that maybe, just maybe, Bush and co. know what the fuck they are doing after all.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    perhaps reuters should blame bad intell and a few bad apples....
  • Options
    hailhailkchailhailkc Posts: 582
    inmytree wrote:
    perhaps reuters should blame bad intell and a few bad apples....

Or pass it off as the work of rich, white suburbanites who stole their copy of Photoshop from an unsuspecting inner city child.
    MOSSAD NATO Alphabet Stations (E10)
    High Traffic ART EZI FTJ JSR KPA PCD SYN ULX VLB YHF
    Low Traffic CIO MIW
    Non Traffic ABC BAY FDU GBZ HNC NDP OEM ROV TMS ZWL
  • Options
    Just funny, because the ones doing the manipulating, arent the ones that MANY on this board and across the nation want to believe would and have been doing that.

Makes ya wonder how many of those "less than credible sites" so many on here love to quote and reference, are up to the same "get bush and all related to him mentality". I mean, if "reputable media" like Reuters is up to this kind of blatantly illegal reporting, imagine what the smaller, lesser known, lesser policed media outlets have been doing.

Gonna make me smile even broader when, despite the media critics, and the idjuts who follow them blindly, discover that maybe, just maybe, Bush and co. know what the fuck they are doing after all.

you mean michael moore? :D HAHAHAHAHAHAH
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    This kind of stuff makes it really hard to trust the numbers given so far ... 40 killed. I mean ... ONE, yeah, 1. That's what I meant to say.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Here's an unretouched, undoctored photo that Reuters is going to use on their story about a woman who was seduced by an alien posing as Jay Leno:
    http://web.weeklyworldnews.com/images/wwn/imported/47540.jpg
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Here's an unretouched, undoctored photo that Reuters is going to use on their story about a woman who was seduced by an alien posing as Jay Leno:
    http://web.weeklyworldnews.com/images/wwn/imported/47540.jpg

I can vouch for this! I took this pic approx. 2 weeks ago. I sold it to reuters for alien fuel.