Options

Israeli PM Has Accepted Cease-Fire Deal!!!!

binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
By KARIN LAUB

JERUSALEM Aug 11, 2006 (AP)— Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has accepted an emerging Mideast cease-fire deal and informed the United States of his decision, Israeli officials said Friday.

Olmert will recommend that his government approve the deal in its meeting on Sunday, the officials said on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to brief journalists on the internal discussions.

It was not immediately clear whether Israel's expanded ground offensive would be frozen. Defense officials said it appeared the campaign would be halted.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    By KARIN LAUB

JERUSALEM Aug 11, 2006 (AP)— Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has accepted an emerging Mideast cease-fire deal and informed the United States of his decision, Israeli officials said Friday.

Olmert will recommend that his government approve the deal in its meeting on Sunday, the officials said on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to brief journalists on the internal discussions.

It was not immediately clear whether Israel's expanded ground offensive would be frozen. Defense officials said it appeared the campaign would be halted.

They (israel) also just injured 20 people in a some air bombing which I just saw on the news after they mentined the cease fire.

(abc news I think reported it)
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    They (israel) also just injured 20 people in a some air bombing which I just saw on the news after they mentined the cease fire.

(abc news I think reported it)

more than likely the cessation of activities won't conclude until Sunday. Now it's the Sabbath, and they will do this Sunday. From what I've heard/read.
  • Options
    more than likely the cessation of activities won't conclude until Sunday. Now it's the Sabbath, and they will do this Sunday. From what I've heard/read.

well then I would'nt really say that they accepted a cease fire, lip service from them? maybe.
  • Options
    Last update - 07:52 12/08/2006

PM's Office: Lebanon offensive will continue

By Aluf Benn, Amos Harel, Yoav Stern and Eli Ashkenazi, and Agencies

Ehud Olmert's office said late Friday that the expanded incursion into Lebanon would continue "for the time being," despite agreeing to a cease-fire resolution drafted by the United Nations Security Council.

Israel will press ahead with its military offfensive in south Lebanon until Israel's Cabinet approves an emerging Mideast cease-fire deal, the Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman Mark Regev said early Saturday

Senior Israel Defense Forces officers said that the IDF is "continuing forward at full power," and that all forces slated to take part in the expanded incursion have already assumed forward positions in the field.
  • Options
    OpenOpen Posts: 792
    MrBrian wrote:
    Last update - 07:52 12/08/2006

PM's Office: Lebanon offensive will continue

By Aluf Benn, Amos Harel, Yoav Stern and Eli Ashkenazi, and Agencies

Ehud Olmert's office said late Friday that the expanded incursion into Lebanon would continue "for the time being," despite agreeing to a cease-fire resolution drafted by the United Nations Security Council.

Israel will press ahead with its military offfensive in south Lebanon until Israel's Cabinet approves an emerging Mideast cease-fire deal, the Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman Mark Regev said early Saturday

Senior Israel Defense Forces officers said that the IDF is "continuing forward at full power," and that all forces slated to take part in the expanded incursion have already assumed forward positions in the field.

Go Isreal Go death! What's sad is that their citizens are the ones who are going to pay for it once the suicide bombings resume...making all this for not.
  • Options
    shirazshiraz Posts: 528
    Open wrote:
    Go Isreal Go death! What's sad is that their citizens are the ones who are going to pay for it once the suicide bombings resume...making all this for not.

Its part of the agreement (which gonna be valid starting monday, I can't wait), the IDF needs to clear (more or less) the area for for the sake of Lebanese formal army & UNIFIL which gonna replace them. As far as I know we're talking about massive ground combats, hence the ones who really having their life on a risk are the soliders (loacl media has just reported 7 soliders were killed today), not the citizens. Btw, Hizbullah hasn't stoped shooting rockets on us.

Oh and suicide bombings = ideology, it has nothing to do with agreements, we had them going on in all periods of time, peace included.
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:
    Oh and suicide bombings = ideology, it has nothing to do with agreements, we had them going on in all periods of time, peace included.

Peace, when? while they were taking down homes? settlers? shellings? is that peace? Why would the suicide bombings stop when the problems that created them still exist? how can anyone expect them to stop.
  • Options
    Israel surges into Lebanon, despite vote

By LAUREN FRAYER and SAM F. GHATTAS, Associated Press Writers

AP - 19 minutes ago
    BEIRUT, Lebanon - More Israeli tanks and soldiers surged into southern Lebanon on Saturday, reaching the Litani River and engaging in some of the heaviest ground combat of the monthlong war just hours after the U.N. Security Council adopted a cease-fire plan. The leader of the Islamic militant group Hezbollah grudgingly joined Lebanon's government in accepting the U.N. resolution but vowed to keep fighting until Israeli troops leave and hand over territory to a muscular U.N. peacekeeping force intended to separate the antagonists.
  • Options
    will this be like the last cease fire? where hezbollah, acting as an arm of iran, digs in and prepares for attack, builds bunkers to store weapons and builds schools and houses on top of those bunkers?
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    Israel surges into Lebanon, despite vote

By LAUREN FRAYER and SAM F. GHATTAS, Associated Press Writers

AP - 19 minutes ago
    BEIRUT, Lebanon - More Israeli tanks and soldiers surged into southern Lebanon on Saturday, reaching the Litani River and engaging in some of the heaviest ground combat of the monthlong war just hours after the U.N. Security Council adopted a cease-fire plan. The leader of the Islamic militant group Hezbollah grudgingly joined Lebanon's government in accepting the U.N. resolution but vowed to keep fighting until Israeli troops leave and hand over territory to a muscular U.N. peacekeeping force intended to separate the antagonists.

Again, the vote will be valid starting monday only, what the IDF is doing is part of the agreement - clearing the area (from Hizbullah men) via ground forces as much as it can for the sake of the Lebanese official army & UNIFIL. No civilian should be involved in that one, though the Hizbullah keeps shooting on us. Never mind, just 1.5 days more, I can live with that.

*edit: just wanted to clarify that the IDF ground force will gradually move out of Lebanon as soon as UNIFIL would show up (they say it'll take a week or so). This is part of the agreement, no civilians (Israeli & Lebanese) should be involved in that stage.
  • Options
    will this be like the last cease fire? where hezbollah, acting as an arm of iran, digs in and prepares for attack, builds bunkers to store weapons and builds schools and houses on top of those bunkers?

I hope it won't, though I'm VERY skeptical-realistic-over-experienced person to think this story won't repeat itself in about 3 years. After all, we'er talking about 15,000 UN "peacekeepers", with not too much of military authority, but they are armed and suppose to act when needed to. The agreement also calls for Hizbullah-embargo, which means no one is allowed to sell/supply them any kind of weapons. In addition to that, the govt of Lebanon was ordered yet again to dismantle the Hizbulla and any other armed militians in their territory. Will it work this time? honestly? I think not.
  • Options
    As I see it, this cease fire can last for about an hour or 2-5 years. But, this once again is nothing but a timeout for hezbollah, Iran to rearm. We will be right back where this started in the future. But the next go around will be far more cataclysmic!
  • Options
    As I see it, this cease fire can last for about an hour or 2-5 years. But, this once again is nothing but a timeout for hezbollah, Iran to rearm. We will be right back where this started in the future. But the next go around will be far more cataclysmic!

thats so obvious. yet, people that "think" they are getting peace will not care.
  • Options
    dayandayan Posts: 475
    MrBrian wrote:
    Peace, when? while they were taking down homes? settlers? shellings? is that peace? Why would the suicide bombings stop when the problems that created them still exist? how can anyone expect them to stop.

Please tell me what problems created suicide bombings?