Options

Ahmadinejad May Have 'Cataclysmic Events' In Mind For August 22

binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
Gee, what a warm fuzzy thought! :(

WSJ: Scholar Warns Iran's Ahmadinejad May Have 'Cataclysmic Events' In Mind For August 22
Tue Aug 08 2006 10:22:35 ET

In a WALL STREET JOURNAL op-ed Tuesday, Princeton's Bernard Lewis writes: "There is a radical difference between the Islamic Republic of Iran and other governments with nuclear weapons. This difference is expressed in what can only be described as the apocalyptic worldview of Iran's present rulers."

"In Islam as in Judaism and Christianity, there are certain beliefs concerning the cosmic struggle at the end of time -- Gog and Magog, anti-Christ, Armageddon, and for Shiite Muslims, the long awaited return of the Hidden Imam, ending in the final victory of the forces of good over evil, however these may be defined."

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad "and his followers clearly believe that this time is now, and that the terminal struggle has already begun and is indeed well advanced. It may even have a date, indicated by several references by the Iranian president to giving his final answer to the US about nuclear development by Aug. 22," which this year corresponds "to the 27th day of the month of Rajab of the year 1427. This, by tradition, is the night when many Muslims commemorate the night flight of the prophet Muhammad on the winged horse Buraq, first to 'the farthest mosque,' usually identified with Jerusalem, and then to heaven and back (c.f., Koran XVII.1).

"This might well be deemed an appropriate date for the apocalyptic ending of Israel and if necessary of the world. It is far from certain that Mr. Ahmadinejad plans any such cataclysmic events precisely for Aug. 22. But it would be wise to bear the possibility in mind."

Developing...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LazLaz Posts: 118
    no way!!! all this guy wants is world peace, where's neville chamberlain when you need him?
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Some guy reading between the lines compared to getting actual, real facts leading up to 911 and still having egg on your face. Yeah, I will take this with a grain of salt.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    Gee, what a warm fuzzy thought! :(

WSJ: Scholar Warns Iran's Ahmadinejad May Have 'Cataclysmic Events' In Mind For August 22
    Tue Aug 08 2006 10:22:35 ET

In a WALL STREET JOURNAL op-ed Tuesday, Princeton's Bernard Lewis writes: "There is a radical difference between the Islamic Republic of Iran and other governments with nuclear weapons. This difference is expressed in what can only be described as the apocalyptic worldview of Iran's present rulers."

Come on, Chicken Little, isn't this a bit much? First of all, Iran doesn't have nuclear weapons, at least not yet, so it's pretty irresponsible to imply that they already do. Most reports have them between 5-10 years away from having a viable nuclear weapon, so I'm not sure how they'd go about causing the "apocalyptic ending of Israel and if necessary of the world" by August 22.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Come on, Chicken Little, isn't this a bit much? First of all, Iran doesn't have nuclear weapons, at least not yet, so it's pretty irresponsible to imply that they already do. Most reports have them between 5-10 years away from having a viable nuclear weapon, so I'm not sure how they'd go about causing the "apocalyptic ending of Israel and if necessary of the world" by August 22.

thank you
  • Options
    absolutely i possible...i just read in a thread by liberals, that these people were morally equal to israel. so now you are telling me that israel is also wanting an apocolypse???
  • Options

Chicken little? I just posted what I read, NOT PREDICTED! Did you read the whole dam article??

"It is far from certain that Mr. Ahmadinejad plans any such cataclysmic events precisely for Aug. 22"
  • Options
    Chicken little? I just posted what I read, NOT PREDICTED! Did you read the whole dam article??

"It is far from certain that Mr. Ahmadinejad plans any such cataclysmic events precisely for Aug. 22"

Yes, I read the whole dam article.

Wow, one half-assed disclaimer, followed by "But it would be wise to bear the possibility in mind."

I wasn't attacking you as much as the writer of the piece, but you did choose to post it. The very premise of the article is fundamentally flawed, since Iran doesn't have the capability to carry out any "cataclysmic" attacks in the first place.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    absolutely i possible...i just read in a thread by liberals, that these people were morally equal to israel. so now you are telling me that israel is also wanting an apocolypse???

Is that English?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    If a nuclear bomb goes off this month, you can bet Bush is behind it.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire