Options

Sydney synagogue attacked

binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
Jul. 31, 2006 6:08 | Updated Jul. 31, 2006 6:16
Sydney synagogue attacked
By ASSOCIATED PRESS
SYDNEY, Australia

An attack on a Sydney synagogue may have been fueled by anger over the Middle East conflict and the spiraling civilian death toll in Lebanon, a rabbi said Monday.

Rabbi Wernick, who cited religious reasons in declining to give his first name, and his young family were inside a house attached to a synagogue in suburban Parramatta when it was attacked Sunday evening.

Concrete blocks smashed the windows of two cars, and other projectiles were hurled at the synagogue roof. Shortly after the incident, witnesses told police they saw a group of about 10 Middle Eastern men laughing and running down a nearby street.

Werner said the conflict between Israel and Lebanon might have been a trigger for the attack.

"I don't see how people could link something that is going on the other side of the world to a small family synagogue," the 32-year-old Werner told reporters. "I feel a little sorry for them, that they think that is an appropriate action."

Police Acting Inspector Col. Green said police had stepped up their patrols of Jewish and Islamic sites following Israel's attacks on Lebanon.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    people are idiots. :(
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    shirazshiraz Posts: 528
    We could all see something like that is coming. When Anan declared Israel killed the UN soliders (which one of them was Australian) on purpose, it was all in front pages along with big screaming letters. When Anan apologized for his irresponsible words, and when the Canadian UN solider's e-mail clarified Israel DID NOT shot them deliberately, the media took it in a more "humbled" way, keeping these new developments out of the front pages.

First impression countes and there you have it - jews are being attacked far away in Australia. What a sad thing.
  • Options
    Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
    shiraz wrote:
    We could all see something like that is coming. When Anan declared Israel killed the UN soliders (which one of them was Australian) on purpose, it was all in front pages along with big screaming letters. When Anan apologized for his irresponsible words, and when the Canadian UN solider's e-mail clarified Israel DID NOT shot them deliberately, the media took it in a more "humbled" way, keeping these new developments out of the front pages.

First impression countes and there you have it - jews are being attacked far away in Australia. What a sad thing.
    It's an awful thing, made by extremely ignorant people, but i don't see why you relate it to the killing of UN soldiers: I relate it more to Qana

EDIT: but the ultimate cause is still the stupidity of people
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
  • Options
    shirazshiraz Posts: 528
    Puck78 wrote:
    It's an awful thing, made by extremely ignorant people, but i don't see why you relate it to the killing of UN soldiers: I relate it more to Qana

EDIT: but the ultimate cause is still the stupidity of people

UN story has already set the fire in Australia. a few days ago there was a massive and quite violent protest, in which Australia's prime minister was actually attacked while he was in his car. Qana only escalated this whole situation.

*edit: and of course, I completely agree with your last sentence.