Options

The battle for Warmth and Cooling.....

2»

Comments

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    polaris wrote:
    terror or terrorism is what is driving american policy now ... the war in iraq, afghanistan ... the focus on iran ... the patriot act ... the wiretapping ... everything is related to terrorism ... it is what allows this administration to continue to do what its done and been totally inactive as it relates to climate change ...

so ... what gore is really saying is that there is a bigger crisis in front of us ... more than "terror" ...

To speak of the danger of global warming and 'terrorism' - If we accept the current usage of this word, which means those acts of violence which are committed by 'them' against 'us' - is ludicrous. How can acts of terrorism be in any way equated with eclogical global catastrophe? As I said above, this is just the usual nonsense from blinkered, sef-interested politicians/busnessmen.

As an aside, I wonder what people will regard as a bigger act of 'teerorism' in 100 years time - The attacks of 9/11 or the invasion of Iraq?
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    Byrnzie wrote:
    How can acts of terrorism be in any way equated with eclogical global catastrophe? As I said above, this is just the usual nonsense from blinkered, sef-interested politicians/busnessmen.

As an aside, I wonder what people will regard as a bigger act of 'teerorism' in 100 years time - The attacks of 9/11 or the invasion of Iraq?

i'm not sure if we're all on the same page ... i assumed puck was commenting about how "terrorism" is used in every context in america ...

i'm not sure what you are referring to in your first question.
  • Options
    Puck78 wrote:
    PS: even if there's a climate change and it can be dangerous, i believe that al gore is an asshole when he says that climate change "is a worst threat than terrorism". Do you always need the word "terrorism", in the u.s.?

...can't say anything about Al Gore. Haven't seen the movie yet.
    and I am not American ;)

I learned my lesson about climate change over the years and in complete
    by the documentary broadcast by arte (-german/french television) early this year...
    so I think this documentary sums up the current science up to date just like Al Gore's movie.
    to me, scary stuff.
    - so why he is an asshole? -

and about Terror used as a word, again here are my 2cents:
    well, the news are soo covered with this word. all we think of is this extreme danger, but it goes beyond.
    I really do fear this threat ahead all around a hotter or cooler world.
    (but as the Spiegel pointed out so well in his last issue: we all seem to have become fully thrilled to live in fear).

so, I believe too that the danger we face due to this man-made-climate change is bigger as the danger all around terror (- there could be a solution).
    but maybe Gore just used the word cause it always gets attention.
    ...just like here. :)

in general I think it is tough to keep the overview around all those news and big news again.
    it is really a tough one to live in this information era and keep the overview.
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • Options
    I don't take issue with that statement either. Yes, it is very bold, but the way terror is all over the news and is the key ingredient to making people scared, I think its a way of conveying the scale of the threat that is happening. Perhaps, instead of focussing so much of your countries resources/media attention etc on terror, perhaps if climate change is of a greater threat we should be talking and spending on this.

Personally, I agree with him (surprise, surprise...). Globally, more deaths will be attributed to disasters, drought etc than terrorism by an order of magnitude. Furthermore, the ecological systems that we depend on for our survival are being abused, so I believe we are punishing ourselves or at least the lives of our children.
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    why won't you answer the posts that put forth the scientific basis for climate change?

we are well beyond the whether its real or not stage ... even that dumbass bush has acknowledged our impact ... you can post all the articles from op-ed pieces u want but the PR campaign to discredit climate change is just about dead ...

the reality and the science has taken over ...
    I've tried and tried and tried but he'll just ignore it.

I'd say some offensive things but i have reason to belive my actions my be being monitored by a certain moderator who doesn't like foul language :p

But yeah.. give up. I'd stick to my accusation that he's just a parodic lightning rod for this kind of thing that gets a kick out of being yelled at but I think if he was he'd 'back up' his claims with 'science' like Mr. Colbert does for example.

BTW I thought you left for good binauralsounds.... ?
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    I've tried and tried and tried but he'll just ignore it.

I'd say some offensive things but i have reason to belive my actions my be being monitored by a certain moderator who doesn't like foul language :p

But yeah.. give up. I'd stick to my accusation that he's just a parodic lightning rod for this kind of thing that gets a kick out of being yelled at but I think if he was he'd 'back up' his claims with 'science' like Mr. Colbert does for example.

BTW I thought you left for good binauralsounds.... ?

ha!! ... keep it green and keep it clean!! ... :p
  • Options
    melodiousmelodious Posts: 1,719
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/09/060906-methane.html

and if ya think that corps isn't already brewing up means for sustinance

http://arstechnica.com/journals/science.ars/2005/11/7/1746

take good care, all
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light