Options

Israel Plans New Homes in W.Bank Settlement

MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
edited September 2006 in A Moving Train
Jerusalem
04 September 2006

Israel plans to build 690 new homes in two Jewish settlements in the occupied West Bank despite an obligation under a US-backed peace "road map" to halt such construction on land Palestinians seek for a state.

The Israel Lands Administration, a government agency, issued a tender inviting bids on 348 plots in the Maaleh Adumim settlement and 342 in Beitar Ilit.

The tenders published by Israeli media on Monday were the largest number of housing bids for settlement building offered since Prime Minister Ehud Olmert took office on May 4.

A spokesman for the Peace Now settlement watchdog group said: "The government is building hundreds of housing units in the territories against its commitments to the road map and Israeli voters."

The World Court has branded all Jewish settlements on occupied land as illegal. Israel disputes this.

Some 240,000 Jewish settlers and 2.4 million Palestinians live in the West Bank, a territory Israel captured in the 1967 Middle East war
----
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    brianjdbrianjd Posts: 201
    MrBrian wrote:
    Jerusalem
    04 September 2006

Israel plans to build 690 new homes in two Jewish settlements in the occupied West Bank despite an obligation under a US-backed peace "road map" to halt such construction on land Palestinians seek for a state.

The Israel Lands Administration, a government agency, issued a tender inviting bids on 348 plots in the Maaleh Adumim settlement and 342 in Beitar Ilit.

The tenders published by Israeli media on Monday were the largest number of housing bids for settlement building offered since Prime Minister Ehud Olmert took office on May 4.

A spokesman for the Peace Now settlement watchdog group said: "The government is building hundreds of housing units in the territories against its commitments to the road map and Israeli voters."

The World Court has branded all Jewish settlements on occupied land as illegal. Israel disputes this.

Some 240,000 Jewish settlers and 2.4 million Palestinians live in the West Bank, a territory Israel captured in the 1967 Middle East war
    ----

You conveniently left your source off this post....Al Jazeera?
    Irvine 1992, Las Vegas 1993, Mountain View 1994, San Diego 1995, Los Angeles 1996, Los Angeles 1998, Moutain View 1999, San Bernadino 2000, Los Angeles 2000, Irvine 2003, Irvine 2003, Moutain View 2003, Santa Barbara 2003, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006, Santa Barbara 2006
  • Options
    brianjd wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/05/world/middleeast/05mideast.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Better?
  • Options
    hahaha

nice
  • Options
    Human Tide wrote:
    Better. The point though? The democratically elected Hamas government in Gaza is dedicated to the destruction of Israel in total. Why should Israel provide Hamas with another territory to launch rockets from when their own Government does not live up to prior promises to accept Israels right to exist?
    Irvine 1992, Las Vegas 1993, Mountain View 1994, San Diego 1995, Los Angeles 1996, Los Angeles 1998, Moutain View 1999, San Bernadino 2000, Los Angeles 2000, Irvine 2003, Irvine 2003, Moutain View 2003, Santa Barbara 2003, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006, Santa Barbara 2006
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    brianjd wrote:

It's funny you say that because I found the same info from about 5 different sources, nevertheless do a search and you'll see them, but don't confuse israels latest settlement expanison with the ones they had in 03' 04 and 05 (around those years?), so filter those older stories out for the most recent one, the one I posted. It may take some time to find info on the latest expansion, so don't give up, many expansions, many different stories on them, from the BBC,ABC,CBS and so on.

oh yeah, I think I got the article I posted from a jewish web site, which I honestly can't find right now, but.....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060904/wl_mideast_afp/mideastisrael_060904125145

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5312084.stm

and one more, for good measure

http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-09-04-voa15.cfm
  • Options
    brianjd wrote:
    Better. The point though? The democratically elected Hamas government in Gaza is dedicated to the destruction of Israel in total. Why should Israel provide Hamas with another territory to launch rockets from when their own Government does not live up to prior promises to accept Israels right to exist?

If you wanted to have a debate about the issue, then you should have replied with a reasonable response. Instead, you questioned the legitimacy of the story in an accusatory manner, only to have to admit that it is actually a factual article.

Your point is preposterous, by the way. If you think the position of some elements of the Palestinian government is a justification for Israel's illegal settlement activity in the West Bank, then it is useless to even debate the issue with you. Even Hamas itself is not a monolithic party with a single line. Before the recent violence in Lebanon, there was much talk of the agreement in which Hamas would implicitly recognize Israel. This, of course, was forgotten due to its inconvenience.

For any interested observer, it's abundantly clear that Israeli settlements in the West Bank are not about security. If you need proof, listen to the Israelis, themselves.

I'm done with this discussion because I've read your other posts and seen your position. You are an apologist for any and every action the Israeli government takes. It's that simple. It doesn't matter what they do, you are on board to find a justification for it. No mistakes, no sins, no blame.

For a productive and interesting discussion, one has to acknowledge outright that both sides are guilty of many crimes. Yes, crimes. I'm a sucker for getting caught up in useless arguments with people like you that aren't interested in a solution to the conflict. Your only interest is in proving that your side is good, correct, and moral, while the other side is evil and bloodthirsty.

You are wasting your time. I'm done wasting mine for tonight.
  • Options
    Human Tide wrote:
    If you wanted to have a debate about the issue, then you should have replied with a reasonable response. Instead, you questioned the legitimacy of the story in an accusatory manner, only to have to admit that it is actually a factual article.

Your point is preposterous, by the way. If you think the position of some elements of the Palestinian government is a justification for Israel's illegal settlement activity in the West Bank, then it is useless to even debate the issue with you. Even Hamas itself is not a monolithic party with a single line. Before the recent violence in Lebanon, there was much talk of the agreement in which Hamas would implicitly recognize Israel. This, of course, was forgotten due to its inconvenience.

For any interested observer, it's abundantly clear that Israeli settlements in the West Bank are not about security. If you need proof, listen to the Israelis, themselves.

I'm done with this discussion because I've read your other posts and seen your position. You are an apologist for any and every action the Israeli government takes. It's that simple. It doesn't matter what they do, you are on board to find a justification for it. No mistakes, no sins, no blame.

For a productive and interesting discussion, one has to acknowledge outright that both sides are guilty of many crimes. Yes, crimes. I'm a sucker for getting caught up in useless arguments with people like you that aren't interested in a solution to the conflict. Your only interest is in proving that your side is good, correct, and moral, while the other side is evil and bloodthirsty.

You are wasting your time. I'm done wasting mine for tonight.

I may or may not agree with what the Israeli government does. I simply asked for support for the article in order to discuss it. I got it. Fair enough.
    For the record, there are a number of people allowed to operate on this board who espouse one anti israel post after another who are equally stuck in their position.

I dont think additional settlements are helpful. But there is another side to the argument and if you dont like it dont read it. That simple. This board seems to only tolerate one line of argument and any argument that is anti US or anti Israel is tolerated no matter how inflammatory it may be. I am not stuck in my position but feel that as long as only one view is allowed to proliferate here, I am going to espouse a contrary point. What you do with it is your business. This is simply discussion. Not conclusion.
  • Options
    brianjd wrote:
    I may or may not agree with what the Israeli government does. I simply asked for support for the article in order to discuss it. I got it. Fair enough.
    For the record, there are a number of people allowed to operate on this board who espouse one anti israel post after another who are equally stuck in their position.

I dont think additional settlements are helpful. But there is another side to the argument and if you dont like it dont read it. That simple. This board seems to only tolerate one line of argument and any argument that is anti US or anti Israel is tolerated no matter how inflammatory it may be. I am not stuck in my position but feel that as long as only one view is allowed to proliferate here, I am going to espouse a contrary point. What you do with it is your business. This is simply discussion. Not conclusion.

Inflammatory posts are dealt with, simply posting an anti Israel aggression article or thought does not equate to being inflammatory.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    MrBrian wrote:
    Jerusalem
    04 September 2006

----
    Boy... this should go over good with their neighbors.
    Who is running the show over there? Don't they watch the news? Don't you think SOMEONE over there would say, "You know guys... maybe NOW isn't the best time to do all of this. You think we can put this on hold until some of this shit that's flying around has settled down?"
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    hey ... the entire middle east wants israel wiped off the face of the earth ... therefore it should do whatever the heck it wants ...
  • Options
    brianjd wrote:

How does Israel building houses in an area they already occupy affect Hamas' ability to launch rockets at them?