Options

Marine in 'Fahrenheit 9/11' killed

MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
edited June 2006 in A Moving Train
DETROIT - A Marine and one-time recruiter who appeared in Michael Moore's documentary film "Fahrenheit 9/11" has died in a roadside bombing in Iraq.

He is seen in the 2004 film approaching prospective recruits in a mall parking lot.

"It's better to get them when they're in ones and twos and work on them that way," he says in the film.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060628/ap_en_mo/michigan_recruiter

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Tragic....more dead American boys - and for what.

I find it doubly tragic that his father said he died fighting for our freedom in Iraq. That slays me.
    Anyway, I suppose that it is not the time or place for that now.
    "Sean Hannity knows there is no greater threat to America today than Bill Clinton 15 years ago"- Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    perlmanjperlmanj Posts: 7

I agree. We need to get the hell out of there A.S.A.P. Then, we need to get rid of these AHOLES that are ruining this government of ours!!

-Peace
  • Options
    MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    perlmanj wrote:
    I agree. We need to get the hell out of there A.S.A.P. Then, we need to get rid of these AHOLES that are ruining this government of ours!!

-Peace

ruining this country or ruining this government? because our government has been ruined long before Bush ever took over. the whole system needs an overhaul. no way can they tell us that 2 parties for 300 million people can be just and representative.
  • Options
    MLC2006 wrote:
    ruining this country or ruining this government? because our government has been ruined long before Bush ever took over.

True, but this bunch has brought bad government to a new low.

-Peace
  • Options
    It is always sad when another soldier loses their life. My roommate who spent a year in Iraq just found out a buddy of his he was stationed with in Germany was killed last week. This is the third friend of his that has lost thier life in Iraq. It is horrible to watch my friend struggle with the deaths of friends, I can hardly imagine what it must be like for those close to soldiers to find out that he or she has been killed.

I know that the topic of prayer has been a source of some serious debate on this board, but for anyone who does please keep my friend and the families of those who have lost loved ones in your prayers. If you don't have a faith, which is totally cool, please disregard the last few sentances. Thanks
  • Options
    ...and as for the two party system, I also agree we need more choices. The problem is that until We are presented with a strong viable third party that a majority of Americans can get behind, nothing is going to change. Imagine if Americans were told We could only choose between two car models, We'd be up in arms, but two parties, and we just accept it.

-Peace
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917

I find it doubly tragic that his father said he died fighting for our freedom in Iraq. That slays me.
    Anyway, I suppose that it is not the time or place for that now.

Let the man believe what he wants to believe ... He needs a coping strategy right now, presumably.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,166
    i saw him in fahrenheit 911 and was a little disturbed by the tactics they used in recruiting prospective soldiers. they used the same bait that they used on me in 1992, basically a job in any field i wanted, alot of money for college, opportunities to play on marine baseball teams vs. those of other countries and u.s. bases, a way out of my current situation yada yada....it didn't work, i went to college to play baseball....

sorry but i can't help but point out the irony of this situation. this man has no doubt recruited many people to join the marines, i am guessing that many of them are in iraq or afghanistan and then he goes to iraq and pays the ultimate price.

the ones that recruit at the school where i work were in iraq and afghanistan and are recruiters now and no longer are required to go to the middle east. i wonder if he volunteered to go.

even though i personally have never supported this war or military spending in general, at least he believed in what he was doing at the time of his passing and felt he was doing the right thing. may he rest in peace.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,025
    ....writing checks that others pay
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    MLC2006 wrote:
    ruining this country or ruining this government? because our government has been ruined long before Bush ever took over. the whole system needs an overhaul. no way can they tell us that 2 parties for 300 million people can be just and representative.

Well said! The whole system definately needs an overhaul. And your right to distinguish between the government and the country. Too many people fail to make that distinction.
  • Options
    just my two cents but no one, including Eric Orlowski of West Seneca, NY, died for my freedom...they died for an ignorant and arrogant prick and his self-centered, egotistical dillusions of power...and it is a fucking shame...i always hope that my thoughts and opinions won't hurt anyone but sometimes you gotta say "what the fuck?"
    "I never make plans that far ahead"
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    perlmanj wrote:
    ...and as for the two party system, I also agree we need more choices. The problem is that until We are presented with a strong viable third party that a majority of Americans can get behind, nothing is going to change. Imagine if Americans were told We could only choose between two car models, We'd be up in arms, but two parties, and we just accept it.

-Peace

Best post I've read all day. What a sad state that our country is in. That gives me an idea. Maybe when I get some time I'll write my own State of the Union Address. If you don't mind I'll use your analogy to help describe the stupidity of our citizens.

I'll also make sure to include something about all the bastards that voted for the ammendment (in the name of patriotism, no less) to actually take away civil rights from the citizens by making it illegal to burn a flag. Thank God that got shot down. How dare those neocons accuse the objectors as being unpatriotic. What's more patriotic than voting to maintain and protect our civil rights? Oh, yeah.....I forgot that patriotism these days is painting red, white, and blue on the bombs before we drop them.

And while we're talking about patriotism, I'll make sure to include something about a U.S. Marine singing about and celebrating the killing an Iraqi family while we're illegally occupying and terrorizing their country. Now that's what I call patriotism.
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    A super message from a guy who wanted kids to sign up for a super life in a far off land. See kids the message is quite simple. If you are defending your land it is one thing. To be in a foreign land, illegally (in a way). Your chances of getting killed go up dramatically. And nobody wants to die for a shitty reason or no pay off. I wonder if he got any virgins?
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    LazLaz Posts: 118
    even flow? wrote:
    If you are defending your land it is one thing. To be in a foreign land, illegally (in a way). Your chances of getting killed go up dramatically.

So does this apply to people who are here in the US illegally? Just wondering...
  • Options
    basqobasqo Posts: 25
    I feel very badly for this man and for his family. But his death is not the only tragedy taking place here. This is only going to be fuel for Michael Moore's fire; one that needs to be extinguished. Michael Moore is only out there capitalizing on the emotions of the american people. He's too extreme, and he makes himself look good in his videos. He has to cut out many interviews for his movies because people tell him to fuck off, and god forbid if Michael moore shows both sides in one of his videos. The american people continue to support Michael Moore and spoon-feed his already fat ass. Get a fucking job Michael Moore.
    Here's to hoping the next album is along the lines of No Code
  • Options
    vedderelfvedderelf Posts: 100
    Yesterday, a US Marine returned home to a suburb of St. Louis, as in, his friends were welcoming back his body. He was killed by a roadside bomb June 22.

Also yesterday, Bush was in town at a $2,000 a plate fundraiser for Jim Talent. The casket of the marine was delayed back to his home town for several hours and the rumor was that the plane had to circle because travel was detoured for Bush.

You can read both stories on http://www.stltoday.com. They are two seperate stories. Neither makes mention of the other.

Bush did not make an appearance, nor did he send a statement on his behalf. Support our troops indeed.
  • Options
    Laz wrote:
    So does this apply to people who are here in the US illegally? Just wondering...

I don't live in the US and won't judge what some deem to be a problem.

But as a question back. Did they drop bombs and shoot the place to bits as they arrived or did they walk across a desert with a water bottle in their hand? If they were bombing the place by all means shoot them. If they were seeking the life that a plaque at the feet of a statue says. Then you tell me.
  • Options
    LazLaz Posts: 118
    even flow? wrote:
    I don't live in the US and won't judge what some deem to be a problem.

But as a question back. Did they drop bombs and shoot the place to bits as they arrived or did they walk across a desert with a water bottle in their hand? If they were bombing the place by all means shoot them. If they were seeking the life that a plaque at the feet of a statue says. Then you tell me.

I'm not sure if it's a problem or not, there's a lot of grandstanding on both sides of the debate, as well as inflated statistics. My opinion is somewhat skewed, me being an immigrant and all...

You got me, I was not aware that US troops had shot Iraq 'to bits as they arrived.'
  • Options
    Laz wrote:
    You got me, I was not aware that US troops had shot Iraq 'to bits as they arrived.'

Because it was the insurgency! :)
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    Laz wrote:
    lol...Well, I don't imagine that's what he or she meant. I took it more as if you're in a country illegally and trying to occupy and terrorize them....then the chance of getting killed probably goes up quite a bit.
  • Options
    DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    basqo wrote:
    I feel very badly for this man and for his family. But his death is not the only tragedy taking place here. This is only going to be fuel for Michael Moore's fire; one that needs to be extinguished. Michael Moore is only out there capitalizing on the emotions of the american people. He's too extreme, and he makes himself look good in his videos. He has to cut out many interviews for his movies because people tell him to fuck off, and god forbid if Michael moore shows both sides in one of his videos. The american people continue to support Michael Moore and spoon-feed his already fat ass. Get a fucking job Michael Moore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3NffMeAGoI

To add to your point:
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Options
    basqo wrote:

"He's too extreme, and he makes himself look good in his videos."

Regarding point 1 = What the fuck? Extreme? How so? Please elaborate, if you're able to.
    Regarding point 2 = Whaaaaat the fuuucccck? :confused:
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    "He's too extreme, and he makes himself look good in his videos."

Regarding point 1 = What the fuck? Extreme? How so? Please elaborate, if you're able to.
    Regarding point 2 = Whaaaaat the fuuucccck? :confused:
    Well, I agree that he's too extreme. He tries too hard to spin shit but I'm sure he has good intentions because this administration needs to be exposed for the pieces of shit that they are. Also, the only thing that could make him look good in his movies would be some hardcore diet/exercise. The guy is out of control. Not to offend anyone, and I could stand to lose a few pounds myself, but I've always had a hard time trusting fat people. It seems to me that they need to take care of themselves before they can be trusted....it has a lot to do with self-respect. And I'm not talking about people who are a bit overweight, but when you enter into the obese category, which Moore clearly is.....that's where you start to lose me.
  • Options
    Well, I agree that he's too extreme. He tries too hard to spin shit but I'm sure he has good intentions because this administration needs to be exposed for the pieces of shit that they are. Also, the only thing that could make him look good in his movies would be some hardcore diet/exercise. The guy is out of control. Not to offend anyone, and I could stand to lose a few pounds myself, but I've always had a hard time trusting fat people. It seems to me that they need to take care of themselves before they can be trusted....it has a lot to do with self-respect. And I'm not talking about people who are a bit overweight, but when you enter into the obese category, which Moore clearly is.....that's where you start to lose me.

True. I mean, the only way that Michael Moore could 'look good' to basqo is if basqo is the reincarnation of the elephant man, or perhaps a siamese twin version of Pavarotti. :confused:
  • Options
    BeBeBeBe Posts: 229
    i saw him in fahrenheit 911 and was a little disturbed by the tactics they used in recruiting prospective soldiers. they used the same bait that they used on me in 1992, basically a job in any field i wanted, alot of money for college, opportunities to play on marine baseball teams vs. those of other countries and u.s. bases, a way out of my current situation yada yada....it didn't work, i went to college to play baseball....

sorry but i can't help but point out the irony of this situation. this man has no doubt recruited many people to join the marines, i am guessing that many of them are in iraq or afghanistan and then he goes to iraq and pays the ultimate price.

the ones that recruit at the school where i work were in iraq and afghanistan and are recruiters now and no longer are required to go to the middle east. i wonder if he volunteered to go.

even though i personally have never supported this war or military spending in general, at least he believed in what he was doing at the time of his passing and felt he was doing the right thing. may he rest in peace.

Good post...
    Where is Lowlight?