Options

-----" Hole In The Ground " -------

2»

Comments

• Options
    RainDogRainDog Posts: 1,824
    Yes, considering the fact that the money had no such demands or expectations attached to it.
    Except that such demands and expectation were attached to it. They're called the Federal Emergency Management Association for a reason, you know.
  • Options
    RainDog wrote:
    It's not a direct "supply chain" to every individual in the country - it works more like a root system. We're all interconnected in some way - and, to make a less allegorical statement, that port system that benefits everyone in the country wouldn't be there if others weren't around to service said port and it's workers and families. Plus, who doesn't love to visit New Orleans?

I certainly love to visit New Orleans. I do so quite often. But that doesn't give anyone the right to take a blank check out of my pocket.
    Yeah it is. Hopefully it will be spent properly.

Definitely.
    I give my thanks to whomever I chose. It's mine to give away, after all. If you don't want it, you can always donate it to someone else.

It seems we're now understanding each other. Well said.
    Once it's gone, you don't own it anymore. But this is probably one of those blockades where I theorize that one way is a better way for a society to function, and you theorize that it's another.

Yep.
  • Options
    RainDog wrote:
    Except that such demands and expectation were attached to it. They're called the Federal Emergency Management Association for a reason, you know.

Yes. And the demand and expectation was for a name on an office somewhere. Much like the demand for "Homeland Security".
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Yes. And the demand and expectation was for a name on an office somewhere. Much like the demand for "Homeland Security".
    As I recall, when congress authorized the creation of the Department of Homeland Security, there was talk of them attempting to secure the homeland. Obviously that hasn't happened, but the people footing the bill were told that was the objective, so again, there was that expectation.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    As I recall, when congress authorized the creation of the Department of Homeland Security, there was talk of them attempting to secure the homeland. Obviously that hasn't happened, but the people footing the bill were told that was the objective, so again, there was that expectation.

But the people "footing the bill" had no choice in the matter, nor did they demand any choice. The bill arrived before the body was created and the payment was due regardless of action. No reasonable expectation can be drawn from such a situation.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    But the people "footing the bill" had no choice in the matter, nor did they demand any choice. The bill arrived before the body was created and the payment was due regardless of action. No reasonable expectation can be drawn from such a situation.
    Of course they had a choice. If congress had been deluged by letters and phone calls from home opposing a department of homeland security, we wouldn't have one. That didn't happen because Americans by a huge margin wanted a department of homeland security, because they expected it to help to secure the homeland.

I never said it was a reasonable expectation ;)
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963