Options

So if the left pushes Lieberman out...

floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
Are people going to blame the leftist opponent for dirty tactics?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/08/08/lieberman.website/index.html

Lieberman blames 'dirty politics' for Web site disruption
Lamont calls charge 'scurrilous,' denies involvement
By Robert Yoon
CNN Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Officials with U.S. Sen. Joe Lieberman's re-election campaign say that "dirty politics" and "Rovian tactics" are to blame for what they call an online attack on their campaign Web site as Connecticut voters headed to the polls Tuesday.

The former Democratic vice presidential candidate is seeking his party's nomination for a fourth term to the Senate.

"Rovian" is a reference to White House aide and presidential political adviser Karl Rove, whom Democrats frequently have accused of unethical campaign tactics.

The Web site, http://www.joe2006.com, has been unavailable since Monday afternoon, and Lieberman campaign manager Sean Smith suggested that the campaign of senator's primary opponent, Ned Lamont, or his supporters were responsible for the disruption.

"This type of dirty politics has been a staple of the Lamont campaign from the beginning, from the nonstop personal attacks to the intimidation tactics and offensive displays to these coordinated efforts to disable our Web site," said Smith in a statement e-mailed to reporters Monday evening.

"There is no place for these Rovian tactics in Democratic politics, and we demand that our opponent calls off his supporters and their online attack dogs."

The Lamont campaign has denied any involvement.

When asked by reporters at a campaign stop Tuesday if he or his campaign was responsible for the incident, Lamont said, "No, it's just another scurrilous charge."

Liz Dupont-Diehl, a Lamont spokeswoman, told CNN that the campaign "denounced and condemned" the action, and denied any involvement by Lamont or members of his campaign. She added that the Lamont campaign did not know who was behind the incident.

The site became unavailable at some point Monday afternoon and features the message: "This account is under construction. Please check back soon. It will be available shortly. Thank you."

Various messages have appeared since Monday night in place of the Lieberman Web site, including "There is no Web site configured at this address" and "This account has been suspended. Please contact the billing/support department as soon as possible."

A CNN researcher briefly accessed the original Lieberman Web site late Monday.

Lieberman aides deny the suggestion that the Web site was taken down due to a lack of payment.

"This statement is to confirm that the suspension of displaying the Web site http://www.joe2006.com was not due to to an overdue account. Friends of Joe Lieberman is completely paid in full. The screen that showed yesterday is a default image from the server," the Lieberman campaign said Tuesday in a statement.

"In order to isolate where the denial of service attack was coming into the site, we disabled it as rapidly as possible. Once we were able to isolate all the site files for study, we were able to add an appropriate one-page maintenance message."

CNN's Jacki Schechner contributed to this report.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    So when Lieberman loses, he'll blame it on his website going down less than 24 hours before the polls opened?
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    So when Lieberman loses, he'll blame it on his website going down less than 24 hours before the polls opened?

I don't quite think so but this is just as bad as the guy who is in prison who tampered with the phone lines in New Hampshire. Will people spend the next six years searching for the truth in this election?
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    The 'Karl Rove' model has proven to be sucessful... why not put it into play?
    Americans SAY they don't like 'Dirty Politics'... yet, those dirty tricks work.
    This template will be used for a while now... by everyone. You'll have Karl Rove to thank for this.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    The 'Karl Rove' model has proven to be sucessful... why not put it into play?
    Americans SAY they don't like 'Dirty Politics'... yet, those dirty tricks work.
    This template will be used for a while now... by everyone. You'll have Karl Rove to thank for this.

So will people call for justice just like what they got for the 2004 New Hampshire scheme?
  • Options
    zstillings wrote:
    So will people call for justice just like what they got for the 2004 New Hampshire scheme?
    If you believe that jamming phone lines is a fair tactic... that's on you and the make up of your character. If you have to resort to these types of questionable tactics in order to win... are you really sure you want that person representing your best interests?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    zstillings wrote:
    I don't quite think so but this is just as bad as the guy who is in prison who tampered with the phone lines in New Hampshire. Will people spend the next six years searching for the truth in this election?

Have authorities named a suspect, or even started an investigation, for that matter? The only ones making any accusations of foul play are people in the Lieberman campaign. Sounds like you might be putting the cart before the horse.

Again, I doubt this will have anything to do with the outcome of the primary. If anything, it could hurt Lamont.

Oh I forgot, using the term "Rovian" was a good idea. It makes for a snappy soundbite and it's an attempt do criticize and separate himself from the Bush administration. Might be too little, too late, though.
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    If you believe that jamming phone lines is a fair tactic... that's on you and the make up of your character. If you have to resort to these types of questionable tactics in order to win... are you really sure you want that person representing your best interests?

This doesn't really address the issue. Will frauding the public like this be taken lightly by the loud Bush critics when it is being done by one of their own?
  • Options
    Have authorities named a suspect, or even started an investigation, for that matter? The only ones making any accusations of foul play are people in the Lieberman campaign. Sounds like you might be putting the cart before the horse.

Again, I doubt this will have anything to do with the outcome of the primary. If anything, it could hurt Lamont.

No suspect has been named but calling something speculation, from what I have been told on this board, is not a valid argument against this being the obvious work of Lieberman's opponent.
  • Options
    zstillings wrote:
    No suspect has been named but calling something speculation, from what I have been told on this board, is not a valid argument against this being the obvious work of Lieberman's opponent.

I get your point, but I don't think I'm guilty of what your talking about.

Also, in regards to the thread title: if Lieberman loses, it won't be because of "The Left", it'll be because he didn't get enough votes. Anyway, conservatives should be cheering Lamont on. If Joe goes through with his stupidassed promise to run as an independent in the general, he'll probably split the Democratic vote.
  • Options
    zstillings wrote:
    This doesn't really address the issue. Will frauding the public like this be taken lightly by the loud Bush critics when it is being done by one of their own?
    Of course, the first time someone plays dirty... people are going to complain.
    I'm guessing, it'll be common use... by everyone. If everyone is playing dirty, no one can complain, right?
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    I get your point, but I don't think I'm guilty of what your talking about.

Also, in regards to the thread title: if Lieberman loses, it won't be because of "The Left", it'll be because he didn't get enough votes. Anyway, conservatives should be cheering Lamont on. If Joe goes through with his stupidassed promise to run as an independent in the general, he'll probably split the Democratic vote.

I also don't think you are.

I agree with you about conservatives cheering on Lamont. I am not sure how I feel about this race yet. I do think Lieberman can take a three way race though. It just will be by a small plurality.

I say "the left" because it is the left wing of the party that is supporting Lamont. Al Sharpton is supporting him. He's pretty far left. He ran to the left of Lieberman and can only win because of those who are left of a centrist-Democrat.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    See http://www.crooksandliars.com on this subject...what do you think after reading "Lieberman got what he paid for"...?

Love,
    Kat
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Of course, the first time someone plays dirty... people are going to complain.
    I'm guessing, it'll be common use... by everyone. If everyone is playing dirty, no one can complain, right?

Nobody would complain if it was common practice but will there be an acquittal? Will there be compensation for the man who was already convicted of these types of tactics? Are you saying that Rove was the first person to have supposedly played dirty?
  • Options
    zstillings wrote:
    I also don't think you are.

I agree with you about conservatives cheering on Lamont. I am not sure how I feel about this race yet. I do think Lieberman can take a three way race though. It just will be by a small plurality.

I say "the left" because it is the left wing of the party that is supporting Lamont. Al Sharpton is supporting him. He's pretty far left. He ran to the left of Lieberman and can only win because of those who are left of a centrist-Democrat.

Lieberman will be stuck in an impossible position. He'll have to defend himself from attacks on the left and the right simultaneously.
  • Options
    zstillings wrote:
    Nobody would complain if it was common practice but will there be an acquittal? Will there be compensation for the man who was already convicted of these types of tactics? Are you saying that Rove was the first person to have supposedly played dirty?
    You are going to have to fill me in on the detail... I have no idea which specifics you are referring to and I am responding in general, basic campaign/election terms.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Kat wrote:
    See http://www.crooksandliars.com on this subject...what do you think after reading "Lieberman got what he paid for"...?

Love,
    Kat

That was already dealt with. Here is the screencap from when the problems first started.

http://www.michaelbrazellmurray.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/LiebermanSiteHack.jpg
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    You are going to have to fill me in on the detail... I have no idea which specifics you are referring to and I am responding in general, basic campaign/election terms.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/16/AR2006051601712.html

This is one of the things that is often brought up as proof that Bush stole the election.
  • Options
    Lieberman will be stuck in an impossible position. He'll have to defend himself from attacks on the left and the right simultaneously.

He will but I think he is a lot stronger than the candidate on the right which will give him an advantage with many moderate Republicans in CT.
  • Options
    I actually think Mel Gibson is behind this one. Or maybe Joe uploaded too may PJ videos to his site....that's what got mine shut down because my asshole webhost only allows 5GB of multimedia....which doesn't make sense to me when I'm allowed 24GB total space.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    zstillings wrote:
    That was already dealt with. Here is the screencap from when the problems first started.

http://www.michaelbrazellmurray.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/LiebermanSiteHack.jpg

Ah, thanks, z. I hadn't seen that info.

Love,
    Kat
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    zstillings wrote:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/16/AR2006051601712.html

This is one of the things that is often brought up as proof that Bush stole the election.
    So... it was found to be criminal and people were convicted... making it a criminal offense. Now, i'm a bit confused here... are you defending this practice?
    I mean, if it was criminal in 2002, isn't it still criminal in 2006? If someone tries this in 2006... isn't it still a crime and shouldn't people call for justice?
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    So... it was found to be criminal and people were convicted... making it a criminal offense. Now, i'm a bit confused here... are you defending this practice?
    I mean, if it was criminal in 2002, isn't it still criminal in 2006? If someone tries this in 2006... isn't it still a crime and shouldn't people call for justice?

I'm not saying people shouldn't. I'm just looking for consistency and the same willingness to jump to the conclusion as people have been with Bush.
  • Options
    zstillings wrote:
    I'm not saying people shouldn't. I'm just looking for consistency and the same willingness to jump to the conclusion as people have been with Bush.
    I would hope so... criminal activity is criminal activity.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    I would hope so... criminal activity is criminal activity.
    Oh Cosmo, then you'd surely support impeachment, yeah? ;)
  • Options
    Oh Cosmo, then you'd surely support impeachment, yeah? ;)
    If it is criminal, you bet.
    But the Bush Admininstration is slimey and crafty (due to the likes of Cheney, Rove, Wolfowitz and Rice). They've learned from Nixon and I'm pretty sure they are covering their bases and are not recording anything. They have been able to manipulate the law... bending it, without breaking it... regarding the wiretapping.
    Do I wish them gone? You fucking bet. But, realistically, impeachment is a tough call. They are slimey... the pure definition of politicians.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    zstillings wrote:
    He will but I think he is a lot stronger than the candidate on the right which will give him an advantage with many moderate Republicans in CT.

That's completely possible, but I think it will be very difficult for him to pull off.
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323

yeah, seems like a pretty stupid strategy if you're going to use dirty tricks to win.
  • Options
    West15thWest15th Posts: 113
    Again, I doubt this will have anything to do with the outcome of the primary.

Its not just the website, its also the internal campaign email. It shuts down a campaign's ability to communicate with its voters on the most important day to do that.

So far, there's no evidence that it was Lamont's campaign. I doubt it was. But I have NO DOUBT that it was a lamont supporters. The bottom line is that his campaign is driven by younger, tech savvy internet people. A rogue supporter goes out and crashes Lieberman's website because they had Lieberman. Its got to be him. You really believe that Lieberman "forgot to pay his internet bills?"

Any political web hosting company that shuts down a server on election day would never get any business ever again. This is clearly a Lamont supporter and they should be prosecuted to the fullest.
  • Options
    VF_Scott wrote:
    Its not just the website, its also the internal campaign email. It shuts down a campaign's ability to communicate with its voters on the most important day to do that.

So far, there's no evidence that it was Lamont's campaign. I doubt it was. But I have NO DOUBT that it was a lamont supporters. The bottom line is that his campaign is driven by younger, tech savvy internet people. A rogue supporter goes out and crashes Lieberman's website because they had Lieberman. Its got to be him. You really believe that Lieberman "forgot to pay his internet bills?"

Any political web hosting company that shuts down a server on election day would never get any business ever again. This is clearly a Lamont supporter and they should be prosecuted to the fullest.
    Well if it were Lamont supporters, there's a good chance they once supported Lieberman. Maybe Joe shouldn't have been riding george's bush but instead representing his constituents more accurately and fairly...and less politically.
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    funny thing, Rove called Lieberman today to relay a message from the president.

zstillings wrote:
    Are people going to blame the leftist opponent for dirty tactics?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/08/08/lieberman.website/index.html

Lieberman blames 'dirty politics' for Web site disruption
    Lamont calls charge 'scurrilous,' denies involvement
    By Robert Yoon
    CNN Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Officials with U.S. Sen. Joe Lieberman's re-election campaign say that "dirty politics" and "Rovian tactics" are to blame for what they call an online attack on their campaign Web site as Connecticut voters headed to the polls Tuesday.

The former Democratic vice presidential candidate is seeking his party's nomination for a fourth term to the Senate.

"Rovian" is a reference to White House aide and presidential political adviser Karl Rove, whom Democrats frequently have accused of unethical campaign tactics.

The Web site, http://www.joe2006.com, has been unavailable since Monday afternoon, and Lieberman campaign manager Sean Smith suggested that the campaign of senator's primary opponent, Ned Lamont, or his supporters were responsible for the disruption.

"This type of dirty politics has been a staple of the Lamont campaign from the beginning, from the nonstop personal attacks to the intimidation tactics and offensive displays to these coordinated efforts to disable our Web site," said Smith in a statement e-mailed to reporters Monday evening.

"There is no place for these Rovian tactics in Democratic politics, and we demand that our opponent calls off his supporters and their online attack dogs."

The Lamont campaign has denied any involvement.

When asked by reporters at a campaign stop Tuesday if he or his campaign was responsible for the incident, Lamont said, "No, it's just another scurrilous charge."

Liz Dupont-Diehl, a Lamont spokeswoman, told CNN that the campaign "denounced and condemned" the action, and denied any involvement by Lamont or members of his campaign. She added that the Lamont campaign did not know who was behind the incident.

The site became unavailable at some point Monday afternoon and features the message: "This account is under construction. Please check back soon. It will be available shortly. Thank you."

Various messages have appeared since Monday night in place of the Lieberman Web site, including "There is no Web site configured at this address" and "This account has been suspended. Please contact the billing/support department as soon as possible."

A CNN researcher briefly accessed the original Lieberman Web site late Monday.

Lieberman aides deny the suggestion that the Web site was taken down due to a lack of payment.

"This statement is to confirm that the suspension of displaying the Web site http://www.joe2006.com was not due to to an overdue account. Friends of Joe Lieberman is completely paid in full. The screen that showed yesterday is a default image from the server," the Lieberman campaign said Tuesday in a statement.

"In order to isolate where the denial of service attack was coming into the site, we disabled it as rapidly as possible. Once we were able to isolate all the site files for study, we were able to add an appropriate one-page maintenance message."

CNN's Jacki Schechner contributed to this report.
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf