Options

Declassified papers show U.S. atrocities went far beyond My Lai

El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-vietnam6aug06,0,2932312,full.story?coll=la-home-headlines

VIETNAM: THE WAR CRIMES FILES
Civilian Killings Went Unpunished
Declassified papers show U.S. atrocities went far beyond My Lai.
By Nick Turse and Deborah Nelson, Special to The Times
August 6, 2006

The men of B Company were in a dangerous state of mind. They had lost five men in a firefight the day before. The morning of Feb. 8, 1968, brought unwelcome orders to resume their sweep of the countryside, a green patchwork of rice paddies along Vietnam's central coast.

They met no resistance as they entered a nondescript settlement in Quang Nam province. So Jamie Henry, a 20-year-old medic, set his rifle down in a hut, unfastened his bandoliers and lighted a cigarette.

Just then, the voice of a lieutenant crackled across the radio. He reported that he had rounded up 19 civilians, and wanted to know what to do with them. Henry later recalled the company commander's response:

Kill anything that moves.

Henry stepped outside the hut and saw a small crowd of women and children. Then the shooting began.

Moments later, the 19 villagers lay dead or dying.....

the rest of the article is at the link
standin above the crowd
he had a voice that was strong and loud and
i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
eager to identify with
someone above the crowd
someone who seemed to feel the same
someone prepared to lead the way
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    you might get more attention to these kinds of things if you pointed out atrocities by others..not related to the US. Otherwise........it goes ignored...

next time a terrorist leader hiding in an embassy tells a 19 yr old boy to go blow himself up in a grocery store, you'll have this chance.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Henry was a medic with B Company of the 1st Battalion, 35th Infantry, 4th Infantry Division. He described his experiences in a sworn statement to Army investigators several years later and in recent interviews with The Times.

In the fall of 1967, he was on his first patrol, marching along the edge of a rice paddy in Quang Nam province, when the soldiers encountered a teenage girl.

"The guy in the lead immediately stops her and puts his hand down her pants," Henry said. "I just thought, 'My God, what's going on?' "

A day or two later, he saw soldiers senselessly stabbing a pig.

"I talked to them about it, and they told me if I wanted to live very long, I should shut my mouth," he told Army investigators.

Henry may have kept his mouth shut, but he kept his eyes and ears open.

On Oct. 8, 1967, after a firefight near Chu Lai, members of his company spotted a 12-year-old boy out in a rainstorm. He was unarmed and clad only in shorts.

"Somebody caught him up on a hill, and they brought him down and the lieutenant asked who wanted to kill him," Henry told investigators.

Two volunteers stepped forward. One kicked the boy in the stomach. The other took him behind a rock and shot him, according to Henry's statement. They tossed his body in a river and reported him as an enemy combatant killed in action.

Three days later, B Company detained and beat an elderly man suspected of supporting the enemy. He had trouble keeping pace as the soldiers marched him up a steep hill.

"When I turned around, two men had him, one guy had his arms, one guy had his legs and they threw him off the hill onto a bunch of rocks," Henry's statement said.

On Oct. 15, some of the men took a break during a large-scale "search-and-destroy" operation. Henry said he overheard a lieutenant on the radio requesting permission to test-fire his weapon, and went to see what was happening.

He found two soldiers using a Vietnamese man for target practice, Henry said. They had discovered the victim sleeping in a hut and decided to kill him for sport.

"Everybody was taking pot shots at him, seeing how accurate they were," Henry said in his statement.

Back at base camp on Oct. 23, he said, members of the 1st Platoon told him they had ambushed five unarmed women and reported them as enemies killed in action. Later, members of another platoon told him they had seen the bodies.
  • Options
    RainDogRainDog Posts: 1,831
    Drew263 wrote:
    you might get more attention to these kinds of things if you pointed out atrocities by others..not related to the US. Otherwise........it goes ignored...

next time a terrorist leader hiding in an embassy tells a 19 yr old boy to go blow himself up in a grocery store, you'll have this chance.
    Either we have historically had - um - problems "spreading our way of life," or indiscriminant murder is our way of life. Either way, something needs to change. Here.

No amount of "pointing out" is going to stop people from strapping explosives to themselves. Plant the largest armies to have ever existed into their back yards and you will still fail.

Example. It's the only way to win.

But Example means nothing Here. There is only one word to describe what we are when we say one thing while all evidence points to us doing the opposite. Hypocrites.

Without Example - Here - we are hypocrites.