Media manipulation

El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
edited March 2008 in A Moving Train
I found this quote and thought it could spark a good discussion on the subject

“The current state of the news media is partially to blame for the public’s general lack of information vital for responsible citizenship in a democracy. The news media has become an aspect of show business, offering merely infotainment. It has evolved into an entity that tends to function as a public relations agency for wealthy and powerful multinational corporations, members of Congress, the current Presidential Administration including the administrations that preceded it. The news media is being utilized as a political tool of suppression and propaganda by those in power, and propaganda is psychological in nature. Full of half-truths and utter misinformation, it’s an arrogant and very commercial strategy that is implemented because it appeals to emotions, fear being the main one relentless talk of national security, personal and community safety, can trigger childhood insecurities and indoctrinated views of authority.”
~ Teresa Stover
standin above the crowd
he had a voice that was strong and loud and
i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
eager to identify with
someone above the crowd
someone who seemed to feel the same
someone prepared to lead the way
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    I agree with this article. There are numerous alternative news sources out there with real news and investigations but people either dont know about them or they just dont really care to digging into the truth. Everyone is in such a hurry to get nowhere now.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    She said it well.
    For a more detailed analysis though, Chomsky's your man - 'Manufacturing consent', or 'Necessary Illusions: Thought Control in Democratic Societies'
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    I agree with this article. There are numerous alternative news sources out there with real news and investigations but people either dont know about them or they just dont really care to digging into the truth. Everyone is in such a hurry to get nowhere now.

i know, it seems odd that so many ppl voice that then allow the very same media to tell them who is electable
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794

There are also numerous alternative sources out there that are even more into show business and not at all about the truth.

The media is everywhere these days and it's up to the individual to sift through it and decide for themselves.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    El_Kabong wrote:
    i know, it seems odd that so many ppl voice that then allow the very same media to tell them who is electable

Jesus. OK, I'm a dumbfuck for not liking Nader, not thinking he can be elected. I support a fringe candidate but I dont like Nader so I'm a twit. I get it. You guys are becoming what you hate.
    Jesus. OK, I'm a dumbfuck for not liking Nader, not thinking he can be elected. I support a fringe candidate but I dont like Nader so I'm a twit. I get it. You guys are becoming what you hate.

no, i don't think we're becoming what we hate...and why??? for asking an honest question!? it's just odd how before election year the consensus was the democrats were useless, the war needs to be ended NOW, everyone wants a single payer health care system, anti nuclear power.....then i see everyone acting like well, maybe the dems aren't that bad, even if they refuse to stick up and act in the will of the ppl, i guess we can be ok w/ iraq dragging out a few more years, nah, let's let the insurance and pharmaceutical companies retain their control, nuclear power?? even tho they have to bury the waste deeeeeeep in mountains i guess it's not that dangerous!

it's just an honest question. why do ppl say these things except when it's election year?

link a song you might've heard; change doesn't come at once, it builds like a wave...and you're not gonna change anything by just playing along time after time, things aren't gonna change by what you say inbetween election cycles. if they know it doesn't matter a fuck to you what's the point in them changing?
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    I blame the consumers.

The media will sell what consumers will buy and consumers don't seem to be ready to buy heady topics, much less the truth about such topics.
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • Jesus. OK, I'm a dumbfuck for not liking Nader, not thinking he can be elected. I support a fringe candidate but I dont like Nader so I'm a twit. I get it. You guys are becoming what you hate.

We're here doing the same thing we always have on the AMT....speak out against the problems we see and the things we disagree with. The only things that have changed is who we're questioning now and sorry, I'm not going to play favorites and it's nothing personal. Seems to me like you're becoming what you hate when you feel the need to lose your temper and respond insultingly instead of honestly addressing the point that was made to you.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
    We're here doing the same thing we always have on the AMT....speak out against the problems we see and the things we disagree with. The only things that have changed is who we're questioning now and sorry, I'm not going to play favorites and it's nothing personal. Seems to me like you're becoming what you hate when you feel the need to lose your temper and respond insultingly instead of honestly addressing the point that was made to you.

The point that was addressed to me? The one yet again that insinuates that because I dont feel Nader is electable then I must be brainwashed by the media? For the hundredth time I'm not voting for Obama. I'm a Ron Paul backer. Why wouldnt I get upset when i agree with his quote and somehow he turns it around on me that I'm allowing the media to tell me who is electable because I dont think Nader is electable. I get it -- you like Nader, hate Obama. It's like a broken record.

Me - " I had cheese pizza this weekend."

Abook -- "Nader would make the best president in decades, so die and go to hell if you dont think so."

Kabong - "Shove that pizza slice up Obama's ass while you're licking his boots."

Me- "I dont like Obama either."

Kabong and Abook (in unison) -- "Whatever. Waste your vote on Obama if you want, you media driven sheep."
  • The point that was addressed to me? The one yet again that insinuates that because I dont feel Nader is electable then I must be brainwashed by the media? For the hundredth time I'm not voting for Obama. I'm a Ron Paul backer. Why wouldnt I get upset when i agree with his quote and somehow he turns it around on me that I'm allowing the media to tell me who is electable because I dont think Nader is electable. I get it -- you like Nader, hate Obama. It's like a broken record.

Abook -- "Nader would make the best president in decades, so die and go to hell if you dont think so."

Kabong - "Shove that pizza slice up Obama's ass while you're licking his boots."

Kabong and Abook (in unison) -- "Whatever. Waste your vote on Obama if you want, you media driven sheep."

I've only discussed Nader with you inside Nader threads and I think one Obama thread and you're the one who brought him up in this one.

The point you failed to address and instead flip out was how the media has played out in this election year. There have been plenty of people who say they agree with Nader but he's unelectable. He explained it to you pretty well in his last reply to you. You got all super defensive and it didn't even make sense. Have you ever stopped to think he meant it from the vantage point of a Nader supporter to a Ron Paul supporter in what he thought you two would see eye to eye on? No one said shit about you supporting or not supporting Obama. Could you point me to where I have accused you of supporting him after the first time you told me you weren't. You seriously need to chill out. And about the broken record shit...funny you're just accusing me of that when the same group of posters go on and on about Obama all the time..

edit: And you know what else, the more I've thought about it, this is straight bullshit. I don't come on here acting hostile and calling people names. I don't respond with insults in the place of an actual response to the point being made...so I don't get where this hostility is coming from. I do express what bothers me and where I see problems, inconsistencies or falsehoods. I am passionate about the things I post about and I am very frustrated with the way this election cycle has turned out. I had hopes for much more than what we are seeing and thought this year would be the one where the real issues were finally addressed by more mainstream candidates after all the corruption we saw from the Bush years. I thought there's no way we would take this kind of shit from another politician, we're going to have our voices be heard loud and clear. And that's just not what is happening...people are molding to fit the views of their candidate and what the media is telling them is possible instead....and yes, it gets to me. But I come here to simply bring these issues to light that are never touched in the media and otherwise ignored here. I try my best to stay civil and rationally discuss the issues that matter to me and finally get some answers instead of insults. Am I a smartass from time to time?...yes, but we all are. Do I sound like a broken record? maybe I do but the same goes for everyone else here who is pro-Obama and anti-Hillary and always chime in to express that, and also anyone else who has been on here posting their same views for years now. So lay off off the childish insults and stick with the topic if at all possible please, thank you.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
    The point that was addressed to me? The one yet again that insinuates that because I dont feel Nader is electable then I must be brainwashed by the media? For the hundredth time I'm not voting for Obama. I'm a Ron Paul backer. Why wouldnt I get upset when i agree with his quote and somehow he turns it around on me that I'm allowing the media to tell me who is electable because I dont think Nader is electable. I get it -- you like Nader, hate Obama. It's like a broken record.

uhhhh, a bit touchy there, pal? since when does 'so many ppl' = flywallyfly????

it was an honest question
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • know1 wrote:
    There are also numerous alternative sources out there that are even more into show business and not at all about the truth.

The media is everywhere these days and it's up to the individual to sift through it and decide for themselves.

There is this old notion of personal accountability, which is almost completely lost in this country. I think people need to stop blaming the media and start blaming the people that LISTEN to the media...

I do not care if the media is biased. I care if people are too lazy and/or too stupid to go out and find real information.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • lazymoon13lazymoon13 Posts: 838

that was pretty funny.
  • lazymoon13 wrote:
    that was pretty funny.

It was kinda funny...completely baseless but funny. :)

-Oscar Wilde
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    that was funny :)

abook's kinda like a dog with a bone, never gives it up. I love her posts, love how passionate she is with what she believes in (even though i don't always agree), and even when she's pissed off she still comes across in a nice way. You go girl :)
  • Pj_Gurl wrote:
    that was funny :)

abook's kinda like a dog with a bone, never gives it up. I love her posts, love how passionate she is with what she believes in (even though i don't always agree), and even when she's pissed off she still comes across in a nice way. You go girl :)

Aww! :)

-Oscar Wilde
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,194
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,214
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,642
    So that's where the paid access is coming from. Got prompted to sign up to read the other day and was surprised.
    It's a hopeless situation...