Options

Should this "F'r" even be back on the street?......

even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
Now I know that people are going to say that if he was on the drugs, yadda, yadda, yadda. Well I believe that if you need drugs to stabalize your mind. You are not right. You may appear right, but take those meds away and you become something that you may not want to live with and if that isn't bad enough you may become something society dosen't want to live with:

Thu, August 24, 2006

Living a nightmareAfter being stabbed numerous times, teenaged victim has to live with the nightmare that his attacker is back on his street
By MIKE STROBEL

Elsa Ferraro holds a yearbook containing a photograph of her son, Nicolas. The teen was stabbed by his neighbour, whom a judge has just released into the custody of his parents. Nicolas has left home. (Fred Thornhill, Sun)
Enter a nightmare on Graham Crescent.

Chapter II is a doozie. But first, put yourself in Chapter I:

You are 15, going on 16.

Quiet Saturday. You tinker with your mini-motorcycle in your garage in a leafy part of Markham.

Your two sisters are upstairs getting ready to visit grandma. Your mom, a paramedic, is sleeping off a night shift.

You glimpse a neighbour you barely know walking across the street.

You think he is coming to admire the tiny bike, which you bought with your part-time Toys 'R' Us wages.

You do not know he is hearing voices and carrying a black-handled fishing knife...

You are lucky. You can leave this nightmare.

Young Nicolas Lastoria cannot. He looks up again. This time he sees the knife. The neighbour says nothing, just yanks the boy up by his T-shirt.

AIR ESCAPING

"What are you doing?" Nicolas asks. Again and again and again and again, the knife plunges into him, so violently, the handle bends right over.

In shock, Nicolas finally fends off the man and staggers away. Not to the house, for fear of drawing danger to his mom and sisters, but up the street to a driveway full of cars.

Halfway there, he hears, feels, air escaping a hole in his side. A lung is burst. You know this if your mom is a paramedic.

He cannot breathe. For a minute, he cannot see.

Someone calls 911. York Regional Police ETF arrests Peter Galanos, 32, in the house across the street, where he lives with his parents.

Young Nicolas is in critical condition for two days at Sunnybrook.

He goes home just before he turns 16 on May 2.

NIGHTMARE ON GRAHAM CRESCENT II:

"They've let him go," a detective at the door tells Nicolas' mom Elsa Ferraro, 45, last week. "He's home."

Sure enough, there he is, across the street from a kid he knifed nearly to death barely three months before.

A shrink says he's okay so long as he takes his meds for paranoia-schizophrenia.

Last Monday a judge agrees and finds him "not criminally responsible" for the attack. And turns him loose.

A bewildered Nicolas, scars still red, paces his house for hours, peering across the street.

This is a good kid. "Life wouldn't be the same if Nicolas wasn't so generous," says his yearbook.

'ALMOST KILLED ME'

"How could they do this?" he asks his mom. "He almost killed me and he's back across the street already. How can I live like this?"

Next day she sends him to stay with his dad a while.

"I didn't know what to say to him," Elsa tells me.

"I had no answers."

She is still waiting for them.

She wants to see the Whitby psych report on Galanos.

She wants to know why she wasn't notified of the hearing last Monday. What about a victim-impact statement? Did the judge, the shrinks, know the attacker was a neighbour?

WHY THE HELL IS THIS GUY STILL ACROSS THE STREET?

Elsa sees awful things on her job, including one doomed, stabbed teen.

"You always think, 'when is it my family's turn?'

"Then it happens in my own garage.

"If my kids cannot feel safe in their own home, where can they feel safe?"

She stares across at the Galanos' tidy, two-storey.

"I'm a prisoner in my own house," she says.

So she locks all doors, draws all blinds by 7 p.m.

The judge's "not criminally responsible" verdict automatically sends the file to the Ontario Review Board.

The board can send Galanos to a psych hospital. Seems reasonable. The knifer can get help, his neighbours can sleep.

The case, York Crown Paul Tait assures me, "is not over."

Someone should tell Mr. Galanos.

He is not home when I visit Graham Cres., but I phone later.

As far as he's concerned the judge set him free and clear, so long as he stays on his meds and off his victims' property.

"It's over ... it's not even funny how finished it is."

You are right about that, Peter. "Not criminally responsible means not criminally responsible."

LEGAL BILLS

Right again.

He's a self-employed painter and insists he stays with his parents because of legal bills. The attack is clear in his mind, though he's not sure it was a real fishing knife.

"What happened, happened." He tells me he'd apologize to Nicolas and his family if he could only find the words.

Do you think justice has been done, Peter?

"I'm glad to be out, if that's what you're asking."

No, not exactly.
You've changed your place in this world!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Canada's system has no respect for the victim. This is just another sad case of it. Public safety is not a concern our judges or laws have. Every court decision and sentence should look at four things; penalty, rehabilitation, contribution to society and public safety. Canada does nothing to require a criminal rehabilitate or to contribute anything to society, and does nothing to ensure public safety. Our penalties are joke for repeat offenders.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    truroutetruroute Posts: 251
    One 9mm round to the base of the schizo's skull (legally of course) would take care of ALOT of problems, he wouldnt have any legal bills, he wouldn't need to buy anymore "dont kill people" meds, his neighbors would be safe, and last and definatly not lease. JUSTICE would be served. Real justice, not that "give people that stab kids numerous times a 2nd chance" type of justice.
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Why don't they have him put in a mental institution for a while at least? That way he's no danger to society. Releasing him right away is like spitting in the victims face. All too often in out society we accpet perscription drugs as a bandaid solution to a much deeper problem :(
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    This is crazy. He should be in an institution for a long, long time. There's no way they could determine in three months time that his meds will continue to work the same over the long term, or even that he'll take them when he's on his own. And he should NEVER be permitted to live in the same area as his victim, now or 50 years from now.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    There's nothing I can say, that you folks haven't already said.

This is an outrage and mockery of justice and the legal system, as a whole.
  • Options
    moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 536
    fuck that shit. no way in hell he should be out, let alone right across the fucking street.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • Options
    MCG wrote:
    Why don't they have him put in a mental institution for a while at least? That way he's no danger to society. Releasing him right away is like spitting in the victims face. All too often in out society we accpet perscription drugs as a bandaid solution to a much deeper problem :(

took the words right out of my mouth
    dream like your living forever
    live like your dying today
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Fri, August 25, 2006

'I knew the knife was in me'Teen stabbing victim writes an open letter to the judge who allowed his assailant to return to live across the street
    By MIKE STROBEL

I wrote yesterday of the unprovoked and nearly fatal stabbing of Markham teen Nicolas Lastoria.

Neighbour Peter Galanos, 32, was found "not criminally responsible" by Justice William Gorewich last week and sent home. Take your paranoia-schizophrenia meds, the man was told.

This, little more than three months after the attack.

Neither York Regional cops nor Nicolas' mom, paramedic Elsa Ferraro, 45, were forewarned that a ruling was nigh.

"There was some kind of breakdown," says police Chief Armand LaBarge, who is trying to wrest a remedy from the Crown's office.

"The matter was disposed of without any contact with York Regional Police," LaBarge tells me.

"We're extremely concerned about this individual being back in the community, in immediate proximity to the victim."

Galanos, by the by, was "known to police," as they say, before the knifing.

The sudden ruling also deprived young Nicolas of his right to submit a victim's impact statement to court.

So, I meet him at his mom's near McCowan and Hwy. 7 and we sit at a laptop for an hour.

Over to you, Nicolas ...

---

Dear Justice Gorewich:

I am writing this at my mom's kitchen table, across the street from the man who stabbed me.

I just turned 16. I was 15 when I was attacked while I was working on my pocket bike (that's a miniature motorcycle) in our garage.

When Peter Galanos came home last week, I saw him once, getting into his car, before my mom sent me out of town to stay with my dad.

I am going back there after I write this.

I would like to tell you how my life and my family have been affected since April 22 around 1:30 in the afternoon.

You probably know most of what happened. I could show you the five scars on my back, side and arm.

He never said a single word, just crossed the street and started stabbing.

I was confused and a little pissed off. I didn't know what was happening.

The thing I remember most was looking down once and seeing the knife go into my ribs.

I can't really explain to you what that was like. It didn't really hurt, but I knew the knife was in me.

I got away and ran up the street for help. I didn't want him to follow me into my house. My mom and two sisters were inside.

The air from my lung was leaking out of one of the holes from the knife.

I NEARLY DIED

I don't remember much about the first two days in hospital, but I know I nearly died and for two months after, I could hear my lung gurgling when I breathed.

Now it has stopped doing that. But I am still angry and afraid.

It's fear of not knowing what might come across the street and to the door.

A policeman came and told us he was back. I was so angry I paced the house. I didn't want to leave. I was afraid for my mother and sisters, but my mom said I had to go away for now. I will have to come back before school starts.

She's still the same mom, but much more anxious.

My sisters, too.

My mother is a paramedic and she says my lung is weak and more likely to collapse again, but she is mostly worried about emotional scars.

I have started going to counselling with a psychologist she knows through work.

My friends all think it's crazy that Peter is home so soon.

I think it was the wrong decision. Peter should be the one to go away. I don't want to move.

I like this house and this area and I want to stay at the same school. I'm going into Grade 11.

Before this, I used to think no one would hurt me.

I'm not the same kid I was.

Now, in my mind, I don't trust anyone. I get suspicious of people I meet walking and think of how I will defend myself if I have to.

I don't think we should have to live like this.

Sincerely,

Nicolas Lastoria

P.S. I want my jeans and my shoes back from that day. They took them for evidence. They were my favourite jeans and shoes. They probably still have blood all over them, but I want them back.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 536
    is there any way to get this judges email addy and have everyone send him a copy of that?
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton