Options

Monopoly

Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,073
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
I admit it, I am not a business type so I do not understand business rules at all.

(This post inspired by the Microsoft EU lawsuit).

In the US we have laws against monopoly because competition is a good thing. I think we can all agree that competition is good. However, if the competition ends by the best "competitor" coming out on top and burrying everyone else (i.e. Microsoft), is it not "anti-lazies faire" to have rules that say competition must be (artificially) created.

If Coke buries RC, Pepsi, etc and becomes the only soda maker, is this a problem. In theory if Coke gets complacent and starts making a bad product or charging too much money for their product, the door then opens for a competitor.

Again, I agree that competition is good and I think the market has lots of flaws that need public intervention (different topic for different thread) but in the case of monopolies, I was hoping someone could give me "monopoly for dummies." When someone becomes a monopoly, how have they "broken" the law and what is their responsibility to change the situation. Do the "lazies faire" capitalists here agree with these rules?

Monopoly for dummies please.

PS: I admit it. I do not remember how to spell "lazies faire."
PPS: If this results in a Monopoly game, I get to be the shoe.
I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Monopolies are not inherently bad things. They are only bad when they are the product of willful destruction of competition. The purpose of capitalism is not to promote competition. Competition is simply a product of capitalism.

EDIT: To answer the question you pose: no it is not a bad thing if Coke destroys Pepsi, assuming they do so within the confines of their own products. If Coke destroys Pepsi by dropping a bomb on the Pepsi corporate offices or by poisoning Pepsi's product, it is a bad thing.
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    When monopolies get greedy = when animals attack.
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    When monopolies get greedy = when animals attack.

when poor people and downtrodden get jealous = when animals attack. ;)
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    I don't mind monopolies if they are distributed fairly to the consumer. Like Microsoft for example, they weren't ripping people off, so what's the problem? Just my take.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    monopoly is only good when you have the most hotels. :)
    and i get to be the scottie dog. ;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    denverfandenverfan Posts: 218
    Look, anyone who runs a business has a goal of ruling all within the sector in which they operate...dont kid yourself!
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity but they've always worked for me." Gonzo

'If my fuckin' ex-wife told me to take care of her dog while her and her new boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go fuck herself." -The Dude

Whisky Drinker, Non-Hunter from Denver.