I'm off the Bush Bandwagon!

SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 794
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
May be a little later than most of you, but this Independant (former Republican) is done defending Bush.

This stem cell veto did it for me. He's officially a jackass in my book now. Yeah, let's go against what the majority of the world's scientists believe is a good thing, and shoot the bill down! And he wants to stop testing on animals too? This guy has lost his marbles. I should have voted for Kerry afterall...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    welcome to the Libertarian Party

Vote for the Fair Tax, the hell with the lot of em.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Spartancus wrote:
    May be a little later than most of you, but this Independant (former Republican) is done defending Bush.

This stem cell veto did it for me. He's officially a jackass in my book now. Yeah, let's go against what the majority of the world's scientists believe is a good thing, and shoot the bill down! And he wants to stop testing on animals too? This guy has lost his marbles. I should have voted for Kerry afterall...

thank god... the rest of the world welcomes you with open arms my friend

ps...it is about time :)
  • RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    Spartancus wrote:

The hi-jacking of the REAL Republican party continues....
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Welcome to you as you step away from the dark side :)
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    Spartancus wrote:

Still trying to please the one niche of American culture that actually supports this a-hole....because right now most true Republicans are definetly jumping off with you buddy...
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Still trying to please the one niche of American culture that actually supports this a-hole....

All 32% of them....
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • seagoat2seagoat2 Posts: 241
    hippiemom wrote:
    Welcome to you as you step away from the dark side :)

I'd have to agree w/hippiemom........!

Welcome!
  • DE JammerDE Jammer Posts: 26
    Spartancus wrote:

He said that he veto because he believed that every human life means something or something to that effect(don't know the exact quote). What an ass. Then why send our boys to die in the war? It's ok to send our troops to die, but not ok to use a cell to save a life?
    Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work. -Robert Orben
  • AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    DE Jammer wrote:
    He said that he veto because he believed that every human life means something or something to that effect(don't know the exact quote). What an ass. Then why send our boys to die in the war? It's ok to send our troops to die, but not ok to use a cell to save a life?

That depends on where you draw the line of "life", is 8 cells in a fertelized egg considered life? Should it read "every human cell means something"? In that case, we have to put an end to female periods, you know how many human cells we lose each day?
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • bryn_cmbsbryn_cmbs Posts: 407
    DE Jammer wrote:

exactly
  • Nakedeye66Nakedeye66 Posts: 94
    I'm with you.

I was a loyal Dem for 16 years, and have been leaning Republican since 2000. I've always been more Republican on foreign policy but more in the middle domestically. I've been a lukewarm supporter of Bush - more in the "Independent", "McCain Republican", or "conservative Dem" mode ... even though there is no such thing anymore as a a conservative or moderate Dem. They've run us all out of the party.

Suffice it to say that Bush's foreign policy is rather controversial and usually rudderless. As for domestic policy, he's managed 6 years with essentially no domestic policy at all.

This stem cell veto is way out of the mainstream, even the Republican mainstream. If his idea of "domestic policy" is nothing but the double-negative of aggressively seeking to ban gay marriage* and aggressively vetoing stem cell research, I'd prefer if he reverted to none at all.

(* Like abortion and drugs, I'd much prefer this to be a states rights issue. Let the different states, through their legislatures, choose their own approach. I'm very consistent in supporting states rights, and not merely for a particular liberal or conservative cause).
  • 1970RR1970RR Posts: 281
    Ahnimus wrote:
    That depends on where you draw the line of "life", is 8 cells in a fertelized egg considered life? Should it read "every human cell means something"? In that case, we have to put an end to female periods, you know how many human cells we lose each day?
    Along this line, if Bush truly feels this way, why is he not calling for a total ban of stem-cell research? And what about fertility clinics - why not outlaw them as well. They are tossing them out by the bucket load.
  • John BudgeJohn Budge Posts: 260
    Spartancus wrote:

What took you so long? ;)
  • zelda4everzelda4ever Posts: 138
    power to the democrats! this is our country lets rule it!
    -Let's just say i was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. Thats all it was:just curiosity.

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
  • zelda4everzelda4ever Posts: 138
    yes im bringing up the gay marrige issue up.who the hell thought it was a good idea to let him tell us who and who not we can marry i mean im not a lesbien or anything but what about the gay ppl!!!
    -Let's just say i was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. Thats all it was:just curiosity.

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    DE Jammer wrote:
    It's ok to send our troops to die, but not ok to use a cell to save a life?

i think that sums it up pretty well :)
  • Nakedeye66 wrote:
    I'm with you.

I was a loyal Dem for 16 years, and have been leaning Republican since 2000. I've always been more Republican on foreign policy but more in the middle domestically. I've been a lukewarm supporter of Bush - more in the "Independent", "McCain Republican", or "conservative Dem" mode ... even though there is no such thing anymore as a a conservative or moderate Dem. They've run us all out of the party.

Suffice it to say that Bush's foreign policy is rather controversial and usually rudderless. As for domestic policy, he's managed 6 years with essentially no domestic policy at all.

This stem cell veto is way out of the mainstream, even the Republican mainstream. If his idea of "domestic policy" is nothing but the double-negative of aggressively seeking to ban gay marriage* and aggressively vetoing stem cell research, I'd prefer if he reverted to none at all.

(* Like abortion and drugs, I'd much prefer this to be a states rights issue. Let the different states, through their legislatures, choose their own approach. I'm very consistent in supporting states rights, and not merely for a particular liberal or conservative cause).

Maybe you could explore the Blue Dog Coalition. I don't want to push party ideology without discussion, but for immediate foreign policy reasons I support democrats as check and balance to republicans to clog the political war machine.
  • AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    Maybe you could explore the Blue Dog Coalition. I don't want to push party ideology without discussion, but for immediate foreign policy reasons I support democrats as check and balance to republicans to clog the political war machine.

That may be just what keeps it going
  • Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    Spartancus wrote:

I disagree with President Bush on this particular issue too, but I'm not going to stop contributing to the RNC because of it.

What originally drew you to the party and what specifics made you leave?
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    1970RR wrote:
    Along this line, if Bush truly feels this way, why is he not calling for a total ban of stem-cell research? And what about fertility clinics - why not outlaw them as well. They are tossing them out by the bucket load.
    i toss mine out by the bucket load...................once each day.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    Apparently when God speaks directly to you....there is no need to listen to scientists who are talking about stem cell research AND global warming.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • LaterDaysLaterDays Posts: 141
    DE Jammer wrote:
    Then why send our boys to die in the war? It's ok to send our troops to die, but not ok to use a cell to save a life?

Reminds me of George Carlin: "Republicans want live fetuses so they can grow up to be dead soldiers."
    "You are everything, and everything is you. Me, you... you, me -- it's all related."
  • LaterDaysLaterDays Posts: 141
    Milestone wrote:
    Apparently when God speaks directly to you....there is no need to listen to scientists who are talking about stem cell research AND global warming.

... and evolution...
    "You are everything, and everything is you. Me, you... you, me -- it's all related."