Options

Photo Animation Project

jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
edited January 2007 in The Art Wall
so I am starting a photography website and one project I am trying to complete is a photo animation of a construction site.

from my condo I have a perfect view of the trump construction site which is a 90 story building going up right in front of my building. I live on the 15th floor looking right at it.

I have, for the most part, taken a picture every day in the same spot since this began almost 2 years now. there still is another 3 years left to go.

how can I place these pictures in a an animated slideshow to make it look like a mini movie.

I know this is easy to do in imovie for mac but im a windows guy.

I also know there is a way to do it in photoshop/image ready. I do have creative suite 2 installed and am somewhat familiar with it.

is there other software that is easy to use and create this?

Please Help!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    jlew24asu wrote:
    so I am starting a photography website and one project I am trying to complete is a photo animation of a construction site.

from my condo I have a perfect view of the trump construction site which is a 90 story building going up right in front of my building. I live on the 15th floor looking right at it.

I have, for the most part, taken a picture every day in the same spot since this began almost 2 years now. there still is another 3 years left to go.

how can I place these pictures in a an animated slideshow to make it look like a mini movie.

I also know there is a way to do it in photoshop/image ready. I do have creative suite 2 installed and am somewhat familiar with it.

Please Help!

Hi jlew...it may not be what you are looking for, because it is just a simple tool. But I found this on the net and gonna use it with my students. Maybe you like it as well. Its called Monkeyjam and you can download it for free

Have a look at: http://www.giantscreamingrobotmonkeys.com/monkeyjam/

Good luck with it and looking forward to seeing what you have made of it!
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
  • Options
    JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    I do believe it's possible in adobe premiere, ... but I'm not sure anymore
    I'll try to remember to look it up when I get home
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • Options
    Hi jlew...it may not be what you are looking for, because it is just a simple tool. But I found this on the net and gonna use it with my students. Maybe you like it as well. Its called Monkeyjam and you can download it for free

cool thanks I'll check it out. I cant wait till its done. I will be a regular in this section when my site is finally done.
  • Options
    Jamal wrote:
    I do believe it's possible in adobe premiere, ... but I'm not sure anymore
    I'll try to remember to look it up when I get home

I have cs2 which definitely has a feature to do photo animation but I am not expert with that software yet.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    cool thanks I'll check it out. I cant wait till its done. I will be a regular in this section when my site is finally done.
    What are you using to make your site? (if you don't mind my asking ...)

• Options
    Jamal wrote:
    What are you using to make your site? (if you don't mind my asking ...)

I'm not. I'm looking for a web developer. I have a guy I work with (my day job) but I would rather not involve him for personal reasons.

I am going to have to cough up some dough to have it built and move forward. I have enough tech knowledge to be able to maintain and edit the site once its built and up.
  • Options
    Adobe wrote:
    Adobe premiere
    Support for any media
    • Import and export major video, audio, and graphic file formats: QuickTime, Windows
    Media®, AVI, BWF, AIFF, JPEG, PNG, PSD, TIFF, and more.

It's pretty damn good software, and relatively easy to use (but expensive)

• Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    I'm not. I'm looking for a web developer. I have a guy I work with (my day job) but I would rather not involve him for personal reasons.

I am going to have to cough up some dough to have it built and move forward. I have enough tech knowledge to be able to maintain and edit the site once its built and up.
    That's definitely gonna cost you...
    I'm an IT-student and we were told the aim for a dynamic content site (with adminpanel, ...) goes from about €1000 and more

• Options
    Jamal wrote:
    That's definitely gonna cost you...
    I'm an IT-student and we were told the aim for a dynamic content site (with adminpanel, ...) goes from about €1000 and more

yea I know. I actually have been talking with someone on this board who does it for a living. he will quote me something soon.

my choices are to pay a (big) one time fee and learn how to maintain and edit it myself or involve my friend at work and give him 10% of sales for 2 years or something. I'm not sure what a fair partnership would be. the good thing about that is, he would be able to maintain and edit the site all the time. which, being a picture site, will happen often. photos being added, moved, etc...
  • Options
    Jamal wrote:
    It's pretty damn good software, and relatively easy to use (but expensive)

Adobe premiere is more for editing movies? correct? I'm not sure how this would help me.

I need to have an animated slideshow of 1000+ pictures.
  • Options

BIG Thank You Kush. I used this software and it works great. I'm trying to find the best frames per second but for the most part, it worked out great. I will be posting it on my website. as soon as its done
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:

Please Help!

WHOA!!! Just read this thread and was blown away because I had the exact same idea! (not trying to take credit or anything). I work in the Leo Burnett Building (across the river from the rising Trump Tower), and we have a great view of that building. I did a time lapse of darkness falling on the whole skyline a few years back, and it turned out awesome. The difference being that my 30 pics or so were taken over the course of about 45 minutes, whereas this is over a much longer time (making it harder).

One cool idea: once you're done....load all your pics onto an iPod. Then, you can scroll through the time-lapse with the scroll wheel....no special software needed!

Good luck!

-J
    1995: Milwaukee/Summerfest 1; 1998: Indianapolis, Greenville, Knoxville; 2000: Lisbon, London 1 & 2, Detroit, Alpine Valley, Chicago; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Summerfest 1 & 2 (w/ Tom Petty), Sydney 1 & 3, Melbourne 1, 2 & 3; 2007: The Vic, Lollapalooza
  • Options
    Any progress so far?
    I'm anxious to see the result :)

• Options
    Jamal wrote:
    Any progress so far?
    I'm anxious to see the result :)

yes!! thanks to Kush and her software. thank you kush!

it isnt perfect, by any means. the pics are not in the exact same spot, from the exact same angle (and zoom). but its close.

but for the most part I am happy with it. the movie starts with the old building, then that building comes down floor by floor, then you can see them dig for the new building, the it goes up floor by floor.

the pics are from Jan 05 to present. so far its 600 pics exactly. the best frame rate I found is 6 per. which makes a 100 second movie.

my website will be up soon and I will be sure to post it here. this will be my new favorite section.
  • Options
    KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    jlew24asu wrote:
    yes!! thanks to Kush and her software. thank you kush!

it isnt perfect, by any means. the pics are not in the exact same spot, from the exact same angle (and zoom). but its close.

but for the most part I am happy with it. the movie starts with the old building, then that building comes down floor by floor, then you can see them dig for the new building, the it goes up floor by floor.

the pics are from Jan 05 to present. so far its 600 pics exactly. the best frame rate I found is 6 per. which makes a 100 second movie.

my website will be up soon and I will be sure to post it here. this will be my new favorite section.

Heee, I didnt look at your post for some time...I am very happy that I could be of help!!! I havent used the programm at my school yet, but it looked pretty easy to use and now I can show my students your example...if I may?

I am soooo curious to see what it has turned out to be!

Goodluck!
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
  • Options
    Heee, I didnt look at your post for some time...I am very happy that I could be of help!!! I havent used the programm at my school yet, but it looked pretty easy to use and now I can show my students your example...if I may?

I am soooo curious to see what it has turned out to be!

Goodluck!

yes, I will be posting it on my website within weeks. no longer then feb 1st
  • Options
    just a tip for the monkey software.

for best results, I had to play around alot with the frames per second (FPS). I found it best to use it under 10. looked best when I had it at 6. I had 600 pics in the movie. 100 seconds long. this was best for me because the pics were not exactly in the same place from the same angle, but close.

the better your pics are taken from the same spot and angle, then the faster your FPS can be.
  • Options
    when I started reading ur post I thought you were going to say something like--dumb trump is ruining my view, it motivated me to document what I used to see and I'll hang near my window.

something like that.

jlew24asu wrote:

Please Help!
  • Options
    when I started reading ur post I thought you were going to say something like--dumb trump is ruining my view, it motivated me to document what I used to see and I'll hang near my window.

something like that.

huh? no no trump is adding to my view. I love that building
  • Options
    Btw Jlew : I recently used Adobe Premiere and you can too make movies out of still frames...
    It's what I used to make my 3D minimovies I posted here.
    Same principle as that monkeything.

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    Hey j, just saw the thread. Can't wait to how it comes out.

I have used Premiere, Premiere Pro and now I have Premiere Elements which is really easy to use, will arrange stills into a movie and costs $99. It can export the video you've made into many different types - for the web, ipod etc.

My 2 cents:)
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    Hey j, just saw the thread. Can't wait to how it comes out.

I have used Premiere, Premiere Pro and now I have Premiere Elements which is really easy to use, will arrange stills into a movie and costs $99. It can export the video you've made into many different types - for the web, ipod etc.

My 2 cents:)
    let's not forget you can set every individual parameter just the way you want it too...
    Very nice for bandwidth-dependant quality

• Options
    cool thanks. I will give adobe a try
  • Options
    this may be a little late, but i recommend Adobe After F/X, it handles image sequencing really well and takes a lot of the work out of it for you. I have recently been helping an animator out timing his animations which is basically what you have to do. The program is expensive but you can download it and use it for a month for free.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it

-- Omar Khayyam
  • Options
    this may be a little late, but i recommend Adobe After F/X, it handles image sequencing really well and takes a lot of the work out of it for you. I have recently been helping an animator out timing his animations which is basically what you have to do. The program is expensive but you can download it and use it for a month for free.

are you talking about Adobe premiere??

if not do you or anyone know how to use this software for photo animation/movies? for my project in question.

I installed the program but have no idea how to use it.