Options

My photography, please critique.

Childrens HourChildrens Hour Posts: 93
edited April 2007 in The Art Wall
Just wanted to share my photography and ask for opinions, thanks for watching :)

http://childrenshour.deviantart.com/

Oorbel2__by_ChildrensHour.jpg

April_by_ChildrensHour.jpg

Alles_is__by_ChildrensHour.jpg

Licht1__by_ChildrensHour.jpg

Glas_by_ChildrensHour.jpg

wierook__by_ChildrensHour.jpg

blaadje__by_ChildrensHour.jpg

Water_2_by_ChildrensHour.jpg

Car__by_ChildrensHour.jpg
۞Je houdt niet van haar omdat ze bijzonder is, ze is bijzonder omdat ze van je houdt,
۞Liefde is niet dat waarop het uitloopt, maar dat waarmee het begint,
۞Er is liefde en je begint een relatie om te zien of zij daartegen bestand is.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    benedbened Posts: 9
    Fantastic photo's, the light quality is great in them all, as is the composition. I really like the one of the lad with a light bulb on his head, the wave break is good too. Keep it up!
    Manchester 4-6-2000
    Dublin 23-8-2006

"It's the same everyday and the wave won't break
    Tell you to pray, while the devils on their shoulder ".....Ed.
  • Options
    i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    my favourites are the one with the red leaf and the wave break thing. good work.
  • Options
    thanks for commenting both of you :)
    ۞Je houdt niet van haar omdat ze bijzonder is, ze is bijzonder omdat ze van je houdt,
  • Options
    JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    I like the glass and the leaf best

but they're all pretty good, great job!
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    well done. photography is a beautiful thing.
  • Options
    benedbened Posts: 9
    just wondered if you would be interested in selling a couple of copies of your photographs?
    Manchester 4-6-2000
    Dublin 23-8-2006

"It's the same everyday and the wave won't break
    Tell you to pray, while the devils on their shoulder ".....Ed.
  • Options
    bened wrote:
    just wondered if you would be interested in selling a couple of copies of your photographs?

I haven't thought about it actually..
    But if someone/you would be interested in buying my work, I would certainly sell :)
  • Options
    Some new photos

My indianseries

Indiaantje_1_by_ChildrensHour.jpg

Indiaantje_2_by_ChildrensHour.jpg

Indiaantje_3_by_ChildrensHour.jpg

handen__by_ChildrensHour.jpg

blauw_2_by_ChildrensHour.jpg

blauw_1_by_ChildrensHour.jpg

Speld__by_ChildrensHour.jpg

thanks for watching!
  • Options
    congrats, very very very good photo's :D

if i may....

http://stefano.rar.gi

(heavy plug)

my own photography, not too good but alrite considering the limited equipment lol
    Given To Fly

Lisboa, Pavilhão Atlântico, 4/9/06
    Lisboa, Algés, Oeiras Alive!, 8/6/07
  • Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    Good stuff.

Very mood-altering kind of pictures.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    Children's hour, I love your pictures!

I especially like the ones with your fingers. :) *kiss* :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    About the indian series: lovely soft colours and light.

I however don't understand why you flipped the first one upside down. It doesn't add anything in my opinion. 90° maybe, but not 180°. Or just as it was.

My fav is the last one. Beatiful light and soft tones.
  • Options
    PolkadotPolkadot Posts: 9
    I liked it with fingernails.
    Fingernails are very important in your work, you should aks about it some Freudist:):)
  • Options
    i love the glass one with the "lomo" type effect - looks really vintage!
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    Very cool photos...I especially like the first ones!

If you want we could trade links on our photo-sites.
    You can find mine in my signature.

And another Dutchie as well...woohoo! ;)
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
  • Options
    matt776x2matt776x2 Posts: 42
    Honestly the only picture of interest was the water breaking the posts. The rest seemed contrived and lacked depth.

Seems evil but you won't get a more honest opinion.

Try finding moments. Moments you can not create...and if you have to create those moments make sure you have greater field of depth with great contrast or bright colors to draw the eye and direct it to the entire composition.

Remember a picture is not one spot in time but an entire composition. It should tell a story or at least hint at one.
    Irritated with this.
  • Options
    sorry also saw the new ones in the field. It was close to what I was saying with contrast and color...red and green good contrasts and it starts a story. But it is contrived.

I know how do you break art from being fictional? Contrived. Made up. It's tough.

Think of a photograph like a window in time. You must capture the essential to complete the composition and try to figure out if less is more or if more is more.

I would not use these in your portfolio you can do better.
    Irritated with this.
  • Options
    Or find something unique and capture it in the best light that gives great depth in the composition.

I just saw someones stuff that makes me jealous even though I have vowed never to be a photographer. Find some structure and capture it in the right light like ansel adams. you know how hard he worked for one picture? Not even just taking but he developed his own processing called the "zone system" I think it was expose for the dark develop for the lights or vice versa...well anyway if this is what you want to do take time to understand a good composition and how to manipulate a photograph. What I have seen is bland and would not be acceptable at a high school contest level.

I know because i had many boring photos and the only one that I received an award on was a carousel at night that somehow I managed to capture before it moved, but off centre a father loading his child onto a horse.

I'm better at life drawing...
    Irritated with this.
  • Options
    KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    matt776x2 wrote:
    Or find something unique and capture it in the best light that gives great depth in the composition.

I just saw someones stuff that makes me jealous even though I have vowed never to be a photographer. Find some structure and capture it in the right light like ansel adams. you know how hard he worked for one picture? Not even just taking but he developed his own processing called the "zone system" I think it was expose for the dark develop for the lights or vice versa...well anyway if this is what you want to do take time to understand a good composition and how to manipulate a photograph. What I have seen is bland and would not be acceptable at a high school contest level.

I know because i had many boring photos and the only one that I received an award on was a carousel at night that somehow I managed to capture before it moved, but off centre a father loading his child onto a horse.

I'm better at life drawing...

I really do not agree with you here...I see a good eye for story-telling photos. I even see resemblance with the famous photo-artist Cindy Sherman. And as a highschool art-teacher I would say she would blow the kids away...

I do agree with you that you should always try to dig deeper and go further and look at other peoples stuff to learn more though. But "deepness" doesnt necessarily come from a photo that was in a process of days or weeks..it can be a snapshot too! A picture that is perfectly composed can be very boring and well gotta say I am not a big fan of Anselm..think his work is boring, doesnt tell any story to me. IMHO ...of course...
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
  • Options
    matt776x2 wrote:
    Honestly the only picture of interest was the water breaking the posts. The rest seemed contrived and lacked depth.

Seems evil but you won't get a more honest opinion.

Try finding moments. Moments you can not create...and if you have to create those moments make sure you have greater field of depth with great contrast or bright colors to draw the eye and direct it to the entire composition.

Remember a picture is not one spot in time but an entire composition. It should tell a story or at least hint at one.

Thanks for giving such a honest opinion.
    However, It seems like we've got a different perspective on photography.
    I did a lot of nature photography but all that was, was finding moments in weather and sunlight and so on. After a while that isn't so interesting anymore. It doesn't take a lot of creativity because you don't really create your own scene. Now I'm trying to create pictures that you wouldn't see everyday just outside. So it may seem contrived but that IS what I want, creating pictures that seem fake and posed, cause that is what I like in photos of other people.
    Just because it's not the style you prefer doesn't mean it's not good enough.
    Also, I'm just 16 and I'm trying different things with my new camera, so I know my photos won't be the best you've seen. Anyway, thanks for being so honest, that's what I need to improve.
  • Options
    QuitokidQuitokid Posts: 14
    no quiero criticarte pero es una de las mejores fotos que he visto. I think that in the photo you said all I can't say more
  • Options
    DavanitaDavanita Posts: 854
    in light of the "Indian series" may i ask where they were taken...? it looks somewhat familiar, but then again, all Dutch fields looks pretty much the same... ;)
    Jon Stewart: "[about Russia's new president]...Dmitri Medevvvevv.... Dmitri Meh..... Dmitri M.! Or... as George W. Bush would probably pronounce it... Eddie Vedder."

If you want we could trade links on our photo-sites.
    You can find mine in my signature.

And another Dutchie as well...woohoo! ;)

Thank you! I really like your photos, seems like you've been all over the world already :)
  • Options
    Quitokid wrote:
    no quiero criticarte pero es una de las mejores fotos que he visto. I think that in the photo you said all I can't say more

aww, thanks a lot! :)

Davanita; they are all taken in zeeland..but as you said, they could've been taken anywhere in holland ;)
  • Options
    on the first photo the focus is off, and the subject is very uninteresting. your highlights are way overblown on the flowers and the composition is odd. the third picture is upside down. the next one could work if anything was in focus. the next one is just plain crap. clean your scanner or your sensor and choose a more interesting subject. the next one is also crap. the next one is even crappier. your b&w of the water and posts is fantastic. the horizon may be a bit tilted but it's not bad. the last photo is also crap. (imo) you want some honest critique join deleteme uncensored at flickr, and it's fun.
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/deletemeuncensored/
    this heart's on fire
  • Options
    deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    nice pictures
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,256
    The photographers and artists can always submit your stuff to Trading Stories with the Leaves. You won't get paid, but you will get exposure. Just search for "Submission" in the Poetry Prose Art search feature. I think the photographs and art really added a lot to the first issue, and with so many of you interested in the art of photography or other forms of art I think if you are willing to email it in, you won't be let down by how many people can view your work. Submissions due May 15th.

I liked the photography here in this thread. I read a magazine recently that looked at critique a different way as if the one talking about the photograph discusses it like a docent discusses a painting in a museum. See how this does this, see how this works here, see how etc etc etc . . .

It makes looking at a photograph or any other art written, visual, you name it as an exercise in how to describe it as a story to someone else. Pretty cool way of going about it.

Good luck to you! :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    FreakFreak Posts: 19
    i love it, your work it's beautiful!
    Miss, i got what i really went for.
    see you auntie................freak
  • Options
    taratara Posts: 293
    Some new photos

thanks for watching!

how did you get that sort of washed out, lightness effect in your colour pics?
    No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it.
    Albert Einstein
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    very impressive!!! I like all of them A LOT, i'm a photographer myself...these are excellent, thanks for sharing!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2