Options

Non digital food photograph

Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,256
edited December 2006 in The Art Wall
I don't have a digitial camera, and since I bought my camera about 2 years ago, I don't plan on buying a new one. Also, I heard I can just ask for my photographs to be put on a disc, and that should do it.

How do you take food photography in your house? Any suggestions? Lighting suggestions?
There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I remember when taking photography, we had to do a food shoot... what a nightmare for us!!!! Just food compositions (like a still life painting) were sort of OK but when we had to do a cooked meal.....!!!! But here are a few tips. You don't mention what type of food photography you want, whether it is 'cookbook' type stuff or just 'food display' stuff, but I guess some of the stuff can work for both......

Work fast! From the pan, to the plate, then shoot. Even if food not cooked, straight from the fridge, display and shoot. Cooked foods look sad and dry very quickly and even raw veggies or salads will go soft and wilt quickly. So...planning is essential before the shoot! Plan ahead. think of what your composition will look like (including for ex. table cloth or any other background, colour of plates, etc. to compliment the texture and colour of your food), how the food will be presented on the plate, the garnishes (lots of different ones with different colours and textures). Your camera will be on tripod and already more or less set to take the pic!
    Also, if you can have 'cheats' to make the food look more appealling (assuming you're not eating it after)... oil, water & oil mixed..even PVA glue!
    Get the stuff on the plate, decorate, 'cheat' and click!

Get the food up close and personal. You want to see texture! Try to get itto fill your frame.

Ideally, natural daylight. Avoid flash as plates, silverware, glasses, etc will reflect it! If you are using artificial lighting.. just avoid glare. Use filters as necessary.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,256
    redrock wrote:
    I remember when taking photography, we had to do a food shoot... what a nightmare for us!!!! Just food compositions (like a still life painting) were sort of OK but when we had to do a cooked meal.....!!!! But here are a few tips. You don't mention what type of food photography you want, whether it is 'cookbook' type stuff or just 'food display' stuff, but I guess some of the stuff can work for both......

Work fast! From the pan, to the plate, then shoot. Even if food not cooked, straight from the fridge, display and shoot. Cooked foods look sad and dry very quickly and even raw veggies or salads will go soft and wilt quickly. So...planning is essential before the shoot! Plan ahead. think of what your composition will look like (including for ex. table cloth or any other background, colour of plates, etc. to compliment the texture and colour of your food), how the food will be presented on the plate, the garnishes (lots of different ones with different colours and textures). Your camera will be on tripod and already more or less set to take the pic!
    Also, if you can have 'cheats' to make the food look more appealling (assuming you're not eating it after)... oil, water & oil mixed..even PVA glue!
    Get the stuff on the plate, decorate, 'cheat' and click!

Get the food up close and personal. You want to see texture! Try to get itto fill your frame.

Ideally, natural daylight. Avoid flash as plates, silverware, glasses, etc will reflect it! If you are using artificial lighting.. just avoid glare. Use filters as necessary.
    Excellent! Thank you!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird