Options

Help w/ Poetry/Songwriting

lastgoodbyelastgoodbye Posts: 35
edited August 2005 in The Art Wall
Hello,
I am an acoustic guitar player whose guitar experience has come from the cover songs that I have been playing for the past five years. I recently started playing at open mic nights in my area where I found some very talented singer/songwriters that write and sing originals, rarely a cover song...

I am tired of playing other people's songs at open mic nights and would like to try my hand at writing. I haven't written poetry since I was in school, and the poetry that I did put on paper was very trite.

I listen to a lot of music from delta blues, folk, classic rock, to pearl jam. I think I know what makes a good song or what conveys the message the songwriter is going for, but I don't really know where to start or how to go about doing it myself.

Should I buy a book of poetry and learn how to write poetry first? Should I just sit down and write whatever comes to mind? (haven't had any luck w/ this one so far).

I enjoy reading the poetry from all of you on here whom are very talented artists and I would appreciate and respect your advice. Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Oh jeez, guess this should be in Poetry, Prose, Music, & Art, not the Art Wall. Sorry.
  • Options
    Hello,
    I am an acoustic guitar player whose guitar experience has come from the cover songs that I have been playing for the past five years. I recently started playing at open mic nights in my area where I found some very talented singer/songwriters that write and sing originals, rarely a cover song...

I am tired of playing other people's songs at open mic nights and would like to try my hand at writing. I haven't written poetry since I was in school, and the poetry that I did put on paper was very trite.

I listen to a lot of music from delta blues, folk, classic rock, to pearl jam. I think I know what makes a good song or what conveys the message the songwriter is going for, but I don't really know where to start or how to go about doing it myself.

Should I buy a book of poetry and learn how to write poetry first? Should I just sit down and write whatever comes to mind? (haven't had any luck w/ this one so far).

I enjoy reading the poetry from all of you on here whom are very talented artists and I would appreciate and respect your advice. Thanks.

i think theres no instruction for that. im writing too . if i have an idea i write it down. it's a big help.. so believe in your feeling.. if you like it.. than it's good.. sorry im not a big help.. i know i know
    Crumbling images no longer comfort me.