Options

My very first photoshop operation: succes or not?

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited September 2006 in The Art Wall
Okay, here's a photo from Paris (I went to the PJ gig, but was there for 3 days).

IMG_3171.jpg

The idea was to do something with the old man, a man of character, and the Audrey Hepburn sorta woman sitting by the fountain. I wanted to created a shot that might ressemble Paris in the 50ies, Audrey Hepburn-era.

But alas, the old man started walking and my framing sucked, the above being the result.

So I tried my luck at Photoshop - for the very first time ever, to create what I wanted, but this time with a nice frame and a nice b&w-color (adding a tiny bit of yellow, to get the old feeling). As a result the old man had to be cut out.

IMG_3171-1.jpg

So what do you think? Better, or worse? Mission accomplished?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    I would've put more sepia-like tone in the b&w-blend ... but this is definately a succes :)

coloribus gustibusque non disputandum ... right?
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • Options
    Jamal wrote:
    I would've put more sepia-like tone in the b&w-blend ... but this is definately a succes :)

coloribus gustibusque non disputandum ... right?

Thanks. Yeah, more sepia might have been nice, but I didn't want to overdo it, so it would look too much like a 'fixed' photo, if you know what I mean.

But you're absolutely right about the Latin stuff :)
  • Options
    excellent job! i love the result.... :D

my favorite part is the shadow of the chair... it adds so much depth... :)
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    jojojojo Posts: 645
    nice job

missions accomplished
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.
  • Options
    Good job. I think you captured your subject perfectly. To make it look even more authentic from the period I would add just a touch of the artistic filter, "film grain" - but lower the intensity...try it and see what you think.
    I "waved to all my friends" at:
    Toronto 22/08/98 - Toronto 05/10/00 - Buffalo 02/05/03 - Toronto 28/06/03 - Montreal 29/06/03 - Kitchener 11/09/05 - London 12/09/05- Hamilton 13/09/05 - Montreal 15/09/05 - Ottawa 16/09/05 - Toronto 19/09/05 - Toronto 09/05/06 - Toronto 10/05/06 - Toronto 21/08/09
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I like it!
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I'm not a big art guy, but there's something about that picture that I really like. I would put that on my wall.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    I would add just a touch of the artistic filter, "film grain" - but lower the intensity...try it and see what you think.

I wanted to give that a shot, but I couldn't find that option anywhere - I'm a complete Photoshop newbie.

Anyway, don't want to start a new thread for it, so the rest of my Paris pics can be found here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefanv/

feedback is always nice :) thanks folks.
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    pearlwax wrote:
    I wanted to give that a shot, but I couldn't find that option anywhere - I'm a complete Photoshop newbie.

Anyway, don't want to start a new thread for it, so the rest of my Paris pics can be found here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefanv/

feedback is always nice :) thanks folks.

Your pictures are really really nice!

And your photoshopped pictures is also very good, especially if it is your first.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    Collin wrote:
    Your pictures are really really nice!

And your photoshopped picture is also very good, especially if it is your first.

Strange you can't edit your own posts here.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    pearlwax wrote:

I'm not sure which version of PhotoShop you're using, so the menus might differ slightly, mine is PhotoShop CS2 version 9. It's been years since I have used PhotoShop so I'm just getting back into it now. To use the "Film Grain" option, open the photo you wish to edit, go to the "Filter" menu, then "Artistic", then "Film Grain". You can get some nice effects by messing around with the settings in there.

And if you don't like it...at least you've tried something new :)
    I "waved to all my friends" at:
    Toronto 22/08/98 - Toronto 05/10/00 - Buffalo 02/05/03 - Toronto 28/06/03 - Montreal 29/06/03 - Kitchener 11/09/05 - London 12/09/05- Hamilton 13/09/05 - Montreal 15/09/05 - Ottawa 16/09/05 - Toronto 19/09/05 - Toronto 09/05/06 - Toronto 10/05/06 - Toronto 21/08/09
  • Options
    excellent job! i love the result.... :D

my favorite part is the shadow of the chair... it adds so much depth... :)

Interesting. The shadow of the chair is what I noticed as well. I was wishing it wasn't cut off at the bottom. I love the articles hanging on the chair and how she is sheilding her face. I wonder why she is with her face to the sun. Is she so tired from shopping that she sat there so long the sun moved in her eyes? Is that the only chair she could find? Blahblah. I'm no art critic...lol. But I like tearing photos apart anyway, eh.

I wish the old guy was still there and not so far away from her. You probably do as well.
    -Jeremy
  • Options
    337572174_3d8ea001cd.jpg

this time it was my girlfriends sister who altered one of my photo's for a project of hers. I've always loved this pic, but felt something was missing. Turns out there was too much! Originally it was larger, but she cropped the top and bottom and ended up with this vertical photo. I love the result.

the original is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefanv/32869572/in/set-951793/

Thoughts?
  • Options
    JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    I love the panoramic feel/look of this last one
    Too bad you can't enlarge them enough in flickr though :(

but still, I like
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07