Options

Merkin Ball. Why?

Comments

• Options
    NC_IrieNC_Irie Posts: 270
    I dont see too many posts on Mirrorball. I love Merkinball, but have never heard any tracks from Mirrorball. I like Neil, but never been a huge fan, hence not having heard Merkinball.

Just curious what peeps think of this release from a PJ perspective? I know they are playing as a back up band for Neil on the disc, but can you really hear the PJ influence?
    Empty pockets will allow a greater sense of wealth.
    Why contain yourself like any other book on the shelf?

Subtle voices in the wind hear the truth they're telling.
    A world begins where the road ends.
    Watch me leave it all behind.
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,942
    NC_Irie wrote:
    I dont see too many posts on Mirrorball. I love Merkinball, but have never heard any tracks from Mirrorball. I like Neil, but never been a huge fan, hence not having heard Merkinball.

Just curious what peeps think of this release from a PJ perspective? I know they are playing as a back up band for Neil on the disc, but can you really hear the PJ influence?

you should pick them up and listen to them. there is a track with eddie on mirrorball too...and DOWNTOWN....! im the ocean, throw your hatred down, song x, the list goes on, its awesome...really good. peace and love....
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I '24
  • Options
    NC_IrieNC_Irie Posts: 270
    sounds like its worth the listen.

thanks man.
    Empty pockets will allow a greater sense of wealth.
    Why contain yourself like any other book on the shelf?

Subtle voices in the wind hear the truth they're telling.
    A world begins where the road ends.
    Watch me leave it all behind.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Alessiana wrote:
    Making a point to the press. We were never confused.

that's what I was saying
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Alessiana wrote:
    I "got" Shit is bad grammar. He should have said, I have shit, I had shit, or I shat.
    thanks a bunch, you just made me spit out my drink :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    thanks a bunch, you just made me spit out my drink :D

:D

We have a really warped sense of humor. It got better. I just don't remember.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    Alessiana wrote:
    :D

We have a really warped sense of humor. It got better. I just don't remember.

If I got Shit had been called I Shat, it would probably be my favourite song :p
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    If I got Shit had been called I Shat, it would probably be my favourite song :p

Mildly scatological, are we?

; )

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    Alessiana wrote:
    Mildly scatological, are we?

; )

not even a little bit :D it would just be a hilarious name
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    not even a little bit :D it would just be a hilarious name

William Shatner refers to himself as The Shat. Gotta give that man credit for a real sense of humor.

Aless

Tell them.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I can't comprehend that. You're joking right? Probably the most poetic emotional song written. And the guitar....I love the whammy bend.

Yea apperently that song is a hit or miss.. i honestly cannot comprehend how ANY pj fan cannot like it. that song is just incredible. live, it doesn't sound as good as others, but still, that song is easily my top 10 fav pj songs.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Yea apperently that song is a hit or miss.. i honestly cannot comprehend how ANY pj fan cannot like it. that song is just incredible. live, it doesn't sound as good as others, but still, that song is easily my top 10 fav pj songs.

lol

there aren't any of consequence. it's not hit or miss. this was a joke.

Aless

Tell them.
  • Options
    I remember an interview or something on WMMR in Philly where this question was asked. The response was that it refered to the wad of hair left in the shower drain. It was so strange that I remembered it. Take it for what it is worth.
  • Options
    wad of hair in the shower drain. hmmm.

i got id and long road are great songs....neil plays the organ right>?
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I '24
  • Options
    i read somewhere that they were not allowed to be named or something to do with promotion on neil youngs mirror ball, so they did their own called merkin ball
    ... aint got a clue with the merkin thing tho
  • Options
    i read somewhere that they were not allowed to be named or something to do with promotion on neil youngs mirror ball, so they did their own called merkin ball
    ... aint got a clue with the merkin thing tho

yeah epic didnt want reprise to make money off their artist so it had to be seperate
  • Options
    i got id and long road are great songs....neil plays the organ right>?

Yeah, he plays the organ on Long Road and lead guitar on I Got Id.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    is merkin ball worth buying? i know pearl jam collaborates with Neil but does it sound like pearl jam? does eddie sing at all? i'm hesitant to buy it then not like it.
    PJ: Hartford 6/27/08 Mansfield 6/30/08 Philly 3 Oct. 30 2009
    Philly 4 Oct. 31 2009 Hartford May 2010 Boston May 2010 MSG 1 May 2010
    EV: Albany 1 and 2 June 2009 Providence June 15 2011 Hartford June 18 2011
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    is it me or does that heart shape that is in between where it says pearl jam and merkin ball on the cover kinda look like what a "merkin" (as defined in wikipedia) looks like? sorta like vagina shaped.
  • Options
    broloco wrote:
    is it me or does that heart shape that is in between where it says pearl jam and merkin ball on the cover kinda look like what a "merkin" (as defined in wikipedia) looks like? sorta like vagina shaped.

thats what i thought too!

wilmack88 wrote:
    is merkin ball worth buying? i know pearl jam collaborates with Neil but does it sound like pearl jam? does eddie sing at all? i'm hesitant to buy it then not like it.

well you've heard long road and i got id right. if you like those two songs then you might like merkin ball.
  • Options
    wilmack88 wrote:

Is Merkinball worth buying? You don't mean Mirrorball, you mean Merkinball?

YES

This CD single has Long Road and I Got Shit, two of the best songs on their catalog. All of Pearl Jam's members aren't on it, but it hardly matters. Neil plays instruments but he didn't write the music. Edited to add --> Yes Eddie sings. These are his songs.

Aless

Tell them.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    broloco wrote:
    Yeah, I'm curious about that too. I don't think they'd name it that without there being something behind it...
    we know that the title "Merkin Ball" is a play off Neil Young's "Mirror Ball", and the cover shows a wrecking ball image. Like Merkin Ball vs. wrecking ball? but does anyone know if the term Merkin means anything to either PJ or Neil Young? Like is it a nickname or reference of some sort other than what wikidpedia says?
    I think you're on the right track...
    I can see the basic concept of the companion piece to Neil Young's 'Mirror Ball' being called, 'Wrecking Ball'. In the naming process they probably came up with Merkin as they were trying to mix 'Mirror' with 'Wrecking'... my guess would be that either Stone or Neil were the only ones who knew of the word.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    I can see the basic concept of the companion piece to Neil Young's 'Mirror Ball' being called, 'Wrecking Ball'. In the naming process they probably came up with Merkin as they were trying to mix 'Mirror' with 'Wrecking'... my guess would be that either Stone or Neil were the only ones who knew of the word.

wrecking ball is a song of neils off "freedom" so maybe they didnt want to do that, and came up with merkin. and a merkin goes over something right, well the merkin ball gets stacked on top of mirrorball to create a full album...
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:

I wouldn't guess that considering who's CD it is and who's playing. PJ isn't on it. All my CDs are packed away, so I can't check design credits but I'd be surprised if this wasn't Vedder/Vedder/Vedder. Words/music/design.

Maybe someone can check their copy.

Aless

Tell them.
  • Options
    1995 saw the release of

emmylou harris - wrecking ball
    neil young - mirror ball
    pearl jam - merkin ball

they are all connected.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    well now I have my storytellers 2050 question

seriously
    its just gotta be a big joke

or

they are just imposters (wig instead of real hair) for the real thing=NY
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Alessiana wrote:
    Long Road is, but I Got Shit is CRAP.

This is a shocking statement!...and wrong btw.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    loveatreeloveatree in my tree Posts: 142
    thanks for posting the meaning of merkin...it's soooo funny!!! i guess i never thought about what merkin meant. merkin ball is great...i got id is awesome!!!
    2006 LA/ SF/ Mountain View. 2009 LA/ SF. 2013 LA/ Oakland/ Seattle. 2014 Denver

• Options
    John Briggs 2008John Briggs 2008 Posts: 1,024
    I remember when the single came out. I wondered what the hell a Merkin Ball was. Never knew until recently. I remember after Vitalogy being afraid the band was going to beak up because of the whole Ticket Master battle and al there shows being canceled for most that tour. Getting this single lifted my spirits greatly. It was like They knew they had to ensure us all that they were fine.
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,563
    Neil nails the lead guitar on I got ID. Its perfect! I just love that guys tone.
    I will swallow poison