Options

avacado - awful song titles

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited May 2008 in The Porch
i'm not here to trash the album, i think its great...i love all pearl jam albums equally, i run them all into the ground and then get sick of them and then rediscover them again......but, having just typed in "unemployable" on youtube, it reminded me that this album has some of the most awkward song titles ever:

severed hand?

MARKER IN THE SAND? (this one takes the cake)

unemployable?

army reserve?

inside job? (maybe not as bad as the others...ok done venting)
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    If you say so. However..."Love Boat Captain"???
  • Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    I don't like this album at all, so by default, I think the song titles are all pretty bad
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options
    Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    awful thread titles? avOcado? :p
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    It's just a song title. I didn't know there was a rating system on words.. And I thought I spent too much time obsessing here..
  • Options
    awful thread titles? avOcado? :p
    i THOUGHT it was an "O", and then i thought i read in a thread recently that it's supposed to be an "A"...guess i mixed that up...thats not a word i spell out often in my day to day life!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    It's just a song title. I didn't know there was a rating system on words.. And I thought I spent too much time obsessing here..
    "Black" - awesome song, great title...if it was called "heartbroken lover" or something, there's no doubt that would take just a little bit away from the song
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    "Black" - awesome song, great title...if it was called "heartbroken lover" or something, there's no doubt that would take just a little bit away from the song
    I guess I see what you're saying.. what album would have the best song titles? No Code?
  • Options
    Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    Wasn't Marker In The Sand just called Marker as a working title?

I'd say the titles are alright though, I certainly can't think of any better ones.
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • Options
    not4unot4u Posts: 512
    marker in the sand rules as do they all
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • Options
    Would Unemployable be better if it was called Scared Alive?
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    song titles????

I like 'em....

makes me want to hear them.

Why all the hate on the last album around here?
    the Minions
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,659
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    i'm not here to trash the album, i think its great...i love all pearl jam albums equally, i run them all into the ground and then get sick of them and then rediscover them again......but, having just typed in "unemployable" on youtube, it reminded me that this album has some of the most awkward song titles ever:

severed hand?

MARKER IN THE SAND? (this one takes the cake)

unemployable?

army reserve?

inside job? (maybe not as bad as the others...ok done venting)
    oh yeah? your thread has an awful title...
  • Options
    oh yeah? your thread has an awful title...
    looks like i hit a nerve...i'm critiquing an album by my favorite band, not insulting people's mothers or making fun of the elderly...
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    fuck people whinge about the stupidest things on here!

and the songs you listed, who cares about the name!
    they are some of the best in the album!

I guess that you would be complaining about crapshoot, had they not changed the name to comatose!

if there is one thing to complain about on that album, it is parachutes...
    Sorry Stone, that song just does not cut it
    I have given it a chance, but still it will not grow on me!
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    fuck people whinge about the stupidest things on here!

and the songs you listed, who cares about the name!
    they are some of the best in the album!

I guess that you would be complaining about crapshoot, had they not changed the name to comatose!

if there is one thing to complain about on that album, it is parachutes...
    Sorry Stone, that song just does not cut it
    I have given it a chance, but still it will not grow on me!
    you're whining about me whining about the stupidest things...and parachutes is pretty good in my book

ok, i'm turning off the computer now...
  • Options
    swallowedwordsswallowedwords Posts: 1,093
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    you're whining about me whining about the stupidest things...and parachutes is pretty good in my book

Yes, Parachutes is a great song. One of my favorites from all of their stuff. I hope I see it on this tour.
    Free the West Memphis Three
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    why the public outrage at such a thread??

i never thought that hard about the titles before, but you have a point about how they can represent the songs issues well (eg Black)....

that being said Marker In The Sand is one of 2 titles that really stood out in my eyes on Avocado.
    ...i think Severed Hand is a brilliant title, one of my PJ faves...i like the expression and the context in the lyrics

rest are fairly bog standard though.

what do you think of the titles on Ten out of curiosity?? :)
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    StuffnJunk wrote:

yep, and now i am whining about you, whining about me, whining about you ;):confused:
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    G-forceG-force Posts: 218
    For me this is an interesting topic. Personally I found the Avocado song titles odd and on top of that it was a self titled release for their 8th studio album. Great album, odd naming conventions from the album to most of the songs.

I remember purchasing Ten back in the day and I thought all the single word songs to be very odd at the time. On the surface the song titles had short simpilistic names. Once, Alive, Black, Porch, Garden, Deep etc.....For most of those who bought that CD in 1992 it was odd and looked very distinctive picking it up and seeing the track list. However, when you heard the album it was anything but short and simplistic, it defied the seemingly thoughtless lables put to the songs..
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    I must be from the "you'll take what you get and like it" generation. :D

Seeing as the finished product that I get is the sum total of a huge collaborative, creative effort and the perspective is entirely and uniquely Pearl Jam I couldn't give a flying fuck if Ed and the boys shat in a cup and called it chocolate it would still be their creative effort which I'm always happy to see. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    G-force wrote:
    For me this is an interesting topic. Personally I found the Avocado song titles odd and on top of that it was a self titled release for their 8th studio album. Great album, odd naming conventions from the album to most of the songs.

I remember purchasing Ten back in the day and I thought all the single word songs to be very odd at the time. On the surface the song titles had short simpilistic names. Once, Alive, Black, Porch, Garden, Deep etc.....For most of those who bought that CD in 1992 it was odd and looked very distinctive picking it up and seeing the track list. However, when you heard the album it was anything but short and simplistic, it defied the seemingly thoughtless lables put to the songs..

great point
    Raleigh '03; Hartford '08; Mansfield II '08; Buffalo '10; Hartford '10;
    East Troy I '11; East Troy II '11; DeLuna Fest '12; Wrigley '13; Buffalo '13;
    Toronto II '16; Wrigley I '16; Wrigley II '16; Wrigley I '18; Wrigley II '18;
    Asbury Park '21; MSG '22; Camden '22
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:
    I must be from the "you'll take what you get and like it" generation. :D

Seeing as the finished product that I get is the sum total of a huge collaborative, creative effort and the perspective is entirely and uniquely Pearl Jam I couldn't give a flying fuck if Ed and the boys shat in a cup and called it chocolate it would still be their creative effort which I'm always happy to see. :)

Jeanie, if you buy shit in a cup just because Pearl Jam did it, it may go beyond a "you'll take you get and like it" philosophy. :p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    I remember back in the good old days before mp3s and iPods, I used to remember the songs by their track number on the CD (Ten was the only album I had on tape). I'd put in Vs. and go to number two, and I didn't care if it was called Animal or Five Against One or Weird A or whatever. I've noticed that on setlist scans, Ed doesn't always write the "official" song name, he'll write Why Go Home, or Don't Go, or RVM. The only song I probably like more because of the title is State of Love and Trust, it's just an awesome phrase.

If you don't like the title Marker in the Sand, you probably don't like the lyrics or imagery in that song. I think Army Reserve is a great title. It's funny, when I first bought Avocado and looked at the song list, I figured Inside Job was about stupid 9/11 conspiracy theories. Thankfully that's not the case.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    Why all the hate on the last album around here?

my thoughts exactly!!

fuck all you "self titled" haters!!!!!!

you don't like the album don't listen to it!

we don't need to hear a bunch of dime-store critics with shitty opinions reiterated a million times!
  • Options
    Army & NavyArmy & Navy Posts: 120
    Avocado song titles are ok in my opinion. However Riot Act had some truly bad ones..Love Boat Captain for starters (still their worst title) Also You Are, Save You, Help Help..Not great.

Generally I think their titles are great: Is their a better song title than Red Mosquito? No.
  • Options
    FatalFatal Posts: 821
    my thoughts exactly!!

fuck all you "self titled" haters!!!!!!

you don't like the album don't listen to it!

we don't need to hear a bunch of dime-store critics with shitty opinions reiterated a million times!

It seems like its fashionable to bash Avocado these days, just like it was fashionable to bash Riot Act before it, and Binaural before RA.

There seems to be a weird cycle with Pearl Jam albums...they initially get praised to death by fans, then get bashed, then praised again.
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• Options
    who gives a fuck what the songs are called names are nothing!!!
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Marker in the sand isn't a bad title, unless you're dumb enough to actually think that it means a sharpie sitting in the sand.
  • Options
    Fatal wrote:
    It seems like its fashionable to bash Avocado these days, just like it was fashionable to bash Riot Act before it, and Binaural before RA.

There seems to be a weird cycle with Pearl Jam albums...they initially get praised to death by fans, then get bashed, then praised again.

well said and very true!
  • Options
    Marker in the sand isn't a bad title, unless you're dumb enough to actually think that it means a sharpie sitting in the sand.

LOL!!